• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone Else Put a Deposit Down on a Tesla Model 3 ?

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We will be at least another year before our number is called. No need to abandon now I guess :)

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
So the car is now up to $57K if the buyer wants a long range battery, "premium" package, and self driving capability. Well, the car is still not for the masses.
I wouldn't include the self-driving option as part of your analysis, but otherwise yeah, it's kind of as I'd expected. To up the range from 220mi to 310mi, which is still kind of an unfortunate number (5 hours in the car at 60mph??? -- hardly road trip worthy), adds $9K. IMO, they're missing the boat on the battery configurations. 310mi range doesn't really buy one much over 220 if they're using the car as a commuter (only have to charge every 7th day vs every 5th day??. Big deal.)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't include the self-driving option as part of your analysis, but otherwise yeah, it's kind of as I'd expected. To up the range from 220mi to 310mi, which is still kind of an unfortunate number (5 hours in the car at 60mph???
I wonder what the range gets reduced to if you run 80 mph instead of 60? I came upon a Model S the other day that was going about 60 in an 80 mph zone. I know from our Prius experience that it gets about 42 mpg at 80 and 50 mpg at 60 mph and 0ver 60 mpg at 45. I'd expect similar numbers from a Tesla. Which is to say that standard 220 mile range at 60 is likely to be closer to 160 or so at 80 mph. I guess you'd just have to be happy that you'd look REALLY COOL to all those drivers passing you.

Jim

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw an older Tesla blue color model Sunday and it was just outstanding. Loved the dashboard and leather seats.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I think the bubble is about to burst:D

Cheers

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
About the larger battery - I'm not sure I would want it but that distance is just about the distance between LA and Vegas, fyi. So it would be especially convenient for a large number of Telsa owners :D

I wonder what the range gets reduced to if you run 80 mph instead of 60? I came upon a Model S the other day that was going about 60 in an 80 mph zone. I know from our Prius experience that it gets about 42 mpg at 80 and 50 mpg at 60 mph and 0ver 60 mpg at 45. I'd expect similar numbers from a Tesla. Which is to say that standard 220 mile range at 60 is likely to be closer to 160 or so at 80 mph. I guess you'd just have to be happy that you'd look REALLY COOL to all those drivers passing you.

Jim

There is a range calculator online - range is determined by speed, weather, wheel size, and whether or not you use the a/c. Other factors that aren't shown on the calculator are: whether you're towing or not and hills.
https://www.tesla.com/models - scroll down to the range calculator. Looks like speed changes the mileage by about 5-15 miles per 5-10 degrees F.

I think the one you saw was just a slow driver or else they were going far and wanted to save battery for the range. I see Teslas every day and they go fast! Just depends how far you're driving. I would think only for long roadtrips would you want to go slower. Not everyone drives 80 mph.

Could also be due to autopilot. Not sure what it is now but there was a while when if you had autopilot engaged you weren't allowed to drive over the speed limit.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
About the larger battery - I'm not sure I would want it but that distance is just about the distance between LA and Vegas, fyi. So it would be especially convenient for a large number of Telsa owners :D

There is a range calculator online - range is determined by speed, weather, wheel size, and whether or not you use the a/c. Other factors that aren't shown on the calculator are: whether you're towing or not and hills.
https://www.tesla.com/models - scroll down to the range calculator. Looks like speed changes the mileage by about 5-15 miles per 5-10 degrees F.

I think the one you saw was just a slow driver or else they were going far and wanted to save battery for the range. I see Teslas every day and they go fast! Just depends how far you're driving. I would think only for long roadtrips would you want to go slower. Not everyone drives 80 mph

Interesting. If one lived in either L.A. or Las Vegas, it would make sense to have enough battery to go non-stop between the two. (but for $8,000 upcharge?) We find that temperature affects our mileage in the Prius. It drops about 2-3 mpg with a/c and winter kills it because cabin heat only comes with the IC engine running. I've found that hills have negligible effect. If you go up a hill and burn a little more fuel, you get it back, coasting down the other side.

It's possible that the Tesla driver I passed was trying to stretch his range. It was on a stretch of (according to the Supercharger map) 100 miles between chargers. The speed limit here is 80 and virtually everyone fudges that by a little.

They look good, but I don't commute anywhere, and have sort of set a minimum range of 350 miles before I'd get one over a hybrid.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pretty obvious that Tesla has tried to make the base model as unappealing as possible. When paint color is a $1K upcharge, and part of the "premium" package is power front seats and 2 rear USB ports, you know there were some major corners cut trying to get to the $35K price.
I'm almost certainly out at this point. Pretty disappointing, as there's nothing really revolutionary in technology or packaging.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
63,000 People Have Cancelled Their Telsa Model 3 Orders
By Bryan Logan/ Finance/ Business Insider/ businessinsider.com

"About 63,000 people have canceled their Tesla Model 3 orders in the past year, Tesla CEO Elon Musk said during the electric-car company's quarterly earnings call on Wednesday.

Total orders for the entry-level electric luxury sedan dropped to 455,000 from about 518,000, Musk said, but he suggested the cancellations were merely a drop in the bucket because the company had averaged about 1,800 new Model 3 reservations a day since Friday, when the first 30 cars were handed over to Tesla employees.

Customer deliveries will begin this fall..."

teslamodel3s.jpg

The first 30 Tesla Model 3s were delivered Friday. Bryan Logan/Business Insider

Richard

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
At this point I don't think the reservations matter a ton. I think once the cars get on the road for however many of us keep our reservations then the numbers of electric cars from all makers will increase, period, and I think that's a good thing :)

I'm scheduled to get mine early next year. I am hoping it's around March or sooner!

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was talking with an owner about mile per charge (we both had 90Ds) and when I told him I'm getting about 320 MPC, he said "not me, I drive it like I stole it".

There are 2 kinds of people who drive Teslas; those who drive for the speed (my neighbor) and those who drive for the MPC (me).

Disgusted with the minor problem I'm having with mine. They can't seem to figure out what's causing the problem and I'm do fed up I'd be willing to give it back to them. 320 MPC is nice, and the car is cool, but every time I get in and start it up and hear the problem, I get annoyed.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was talking with an owner about mile per charge (we both had 90Ds) and when I told him I'm getting about 320 MPC, he said "not me, I drive it like I stole it".

There are 2 kinds of people who drive Teslas; those who drive for the speed (my neighbor) and those who drive for the MPC (me).

Disgusted with the minor problem I'm having with mine. They can't seem to figure out what's causing the problem and I'm do fed up I'd be willing to give it back to them. 320 MPC is nice, and the car is cool, but every time I get in and start it up and hear the problem, I get annoyed.
What's the problem?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
To make a long story short, when I get in and the car starts, the radio (regular FM) cuts in and out. Doesn't happen every time, but most of the time. Sometimes longer periods of time than others. Very annoying.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I love driving, as long as I'm able, with annual drives to my FL timeshares from Canada as well as a 12 hour drive to/from Williamsburg each year. In addition, we do longer drives such as Toronto to Vancouver one year and to PEI the next. Had a wonderful drive to Vegas, Phoenix, LA, Seattle, and back. Can't imagine doing those trips in a Tesla in the same timeframe like 12 hours a day with 2 drivers.

I know there are fast electric charging stations springing up, but doubt they are free in the future. In Toronto, condos are starting to charge $35-50 a month for plugging electric cars in.

Remember when you could fill your tires for free in the past...I suspect free electric charges will soon be a thing of the past. Does that mean a Tesla car is just used for getting groceries?

My last car was a Mercedes S Hybrid. Mpg was pretty good for a large car but we could drive 30 hours straight to FL if we wanted to. Unfortunately Mercedes cancelled that model when my lease was up.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
To make a long story short, when I get in and the car starts, the radio (regular FM) cuts in and out. Doesn't happen every time, but most of the time. Sometimes longer periods of time than others. Very annoying.
That would annoy me no end-I like radio. It shouldn't be that hard to isolate/remedy. It would have to either be internal to the radio, or power or antenna intermittent short. Does it short out if listening to a disc or usb plugged in? Has the mfr offered to swap out the radio? Does the car need to be moving? Not sure if this would be a deal killer, but it would aggravate me, like it has you.

Jim.

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
They pulled the entire rear apart for the antenna & checked the radio and said it's all working fine. They tell me it's a software issue.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
:cool:
They tell me it's a software issue.

The last refuge of a lousy designer:D. I don't know how many times I was told that in my 50 years in the aircraft development business. Often true but, it shouldn't happen to a good design.

In this case, I really doubt "the software defense" because it that were true, it would be a generic problem and happening more frequently. Software doesn't one day decide to change some zeros to ones in one car. It's more likely that something is defective that contains some software someplace and is causing the problem.

I had a wild experience in my old BMW X3 when everything seemingly started going haywire, windows deciding on their own to go up or down, wipers on and off, radio on or off. They wound up replacing the whole instrument cluster which is a node in the electrical system.

Keep hounding them:cool:

Cheers

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I know there are fast electric charging stations springing up, but doubt they are free in the future.
No they won't be free. But overall it's still a cost savings for most people.

Everyone will be different depending on where you live - just like with gas. For me, I will get an electric subsidy for charging at home (which basically evens out my electric costs so I probably won't pay more in electric than I currently pay). I will also get free parking in the City of Las Vegas. And I will avoid all the gas costs including our local 50 cent tax that helps maintain our roads. I will likely also get the federal tax credit. And the options I'm looking at will make my car cost between $40k - $45k before tax credit, not $55k or $60k (I want autopilot and perhaps a larger battery).

Most people will be doing most of their charging at home and/or at work. They will only need to stop to charge at SuperChargers on roadtrips. The overall time savings evened out is pretty large for most people. Right now I have to stop at a gas station every few days and it takes 5-15 minutes each time. When I get my Tesla I will simply drive and then plug in when I get home. No time at all to 'fuel up.' So only on road trips will I stop at SuperChargers and have to wait 30-90 minutes (depending on my need). I will schedule those in for lunch breaks, which I already take.

For instance, I drive from Vegas to Carlsbad every Summer. Right now with gas I stop at least once in Barstow for lunch, gas, and coffee. (I often stop more frequently for potty breaks and to stretch my legs and to give my kiddo a bit of time outside of the car... but let's ignore that for now.) So for me, my routine won't really change a bit. I will still stop in Barstow for lunch, electric, and coffee. And lucky for me, one of the future slated SuperChargers will be in Carlsbad and is scheduled to be completed by the end of this year. So that means if everything stays on track then my Summer trip to Carlsbad Inn won't really change at all! I can drive there and charge along the way (at least two more SuperChargers are scheduled to come in along the specific route I take so if I miss Barstow or its full I can do another one - and more chargers are coming in slight off the route I drive) and then charge in Carlsbad so I'm full up to go home :)

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
:cool:

The last refuge of a lousy designer:D. I don't know how many times I was told that in my 50 years in the aircraft development business. Often true but, it shouldn't happen to a good design.

In this case, I really doubt "the software defense" because it that were true, it would be a generic problem and happening more frequently. Software doesn't one day decide to change some zeros to ones in one car. It's more likely that something is defective that contains some software someplace and is causing the problem.

I had a wild experience in my old BMW X3 when everything seemingly started going haywire, windows deciding on their own to go up or down, wipers on and off, radio on or off. They wound up replacing the whole instrument cluster which is a node in the electrical system.

Keep hounding them:cool:

Cheers
Agreed. Highly unlikely it's a software issue, or more owners would have the same issue and a fix would likely have been released. Problem shouldn't be difficult to debug.
I'd be on their asses non-stop until they resolve the problem. Unacceptable for any modern vehicle, but especially for one that cost that much.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Spent an hour with the new Model 3 today. Looks great, very comfortable, etc. Anyone here receive delivery yet? I’m not going to need to make a decision until later this year since I don’t want the long range model and they haven’t started building the standard range yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk