• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone have Consumer Cellular service?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My household has been loyal Verizon customers for more than 18 years. I've known we've always paid more than maybe other services charge, but it was easy to just keep the status quo. But Verizon has decided to lay off 44,000 workers, including many long-term employees, and they're sending 2500 IT jobs overseas as well. (So much for the tax breaks they received creating jobs in America!) https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeanba...bs-to-indian-outsourcer-infosys/#1b0dc69146f5

I've decided it's time to vote with my feet. With my upcoming retirement, I'm looking at cutting expenses. This announcement shows me Verizon has no customer loyalty, and certainly none to their own employees.

I've been researching Consumer Cellular. I'm finding I can get a plan very close to what I currently have with Verizon, for less than half the price. That savings is not inconsequential. I've asked my friends and family, and have received very positive recommendations for Consumer Cellular. I'm curious whether you have experience with them, and what your opinion might be. Do you like them? How is the service and coverage for you? Would you recommend them?

Dave

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We've been Consumer Cellular customers for ~ 4 years and recommend 'em.
They use ATT's cell-system, so quality+coverage is good (no int'l service).
For international service, I have a basic unlocked phone and buy a SIM.

Two lines, unlimited (AARP discount) = $52, but you can pick a smaller plan.
If you go over, they upgrade it automatically, which you can later reset.

Phones are full-price. Some of the more pricey ones have a payment plan.
But you're not locked into a service contract for 2 years to pay it off, either.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Since I had to give up my work cell phone, which was an IPHONE 6Plus on Verizon, I researched and found for me Straight Talk was the best. I got an IPhone SE at Walmart for $139. It is small- like the 5S- and is the phone that came out between the 5S and the 6S, with the speed of a 7. It does everything my other phone did. I surprisingly actually kind of like the smaller phone now as it is very light and it fits easily in a pocket. I got a good case for it on Amazon for $7.

The Straight Talk plan is $44 per month unlimited everything and no contracts. It does use Verizon, but it also adjusts to the better carrier depending on where you are. You can bring your current phone onto the plan as well.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We (still) subscribe to AT&T- don't ask why- I dunno. But our kids who are much smarter about such things as us, use Straight Talk from Walmart. Same service, same cell towers, small fraction of the price.

Different gripe, but sorta similar, what's eating my lunch is the friggin' cable TV/broadband. We pay a shade off $300 a month for it! With NO premium channels, and just basic-like the local channels because we get zero over-the-air reception at one residence. Sheesh!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We (still) subscribe to AT&T- don't ask why- I dunno. But our kids who are much smarter about such things as us, use Straight Talk from Walmart. Same service, same cell towers, small fraction of the price.

Different gripe, but sorta similar, what's eating my lunch is the friggin' cable TV/broadband. We pay a shade off $300 a month for it! With NO premium channels, and just basic-like the local channels because we get zero over-the-air reception at one residence. Sheesh!

Wow. I was researching about eliminating our landline phone and then realized our security system operates off it.

So- we have landline (grandfathered in- the least expensive they have), DSL which together runs close to $80 per month and we barely use the phone- and when we do we use a Nobel Calling card for cheap minutes.
local and long distance. We don't have call waiting or voice mail or any other bells and whistles. We do have an unlisted number and that runs $4 per month where as it used to be $1 when we first got it.

Then we have the thing I dislike most- DirecTV- another basic grandfathered in package of $55 per month. No premium channels or anything on anyhow. Hubby has to have his news channels and METV for MASH reruns. Most of the time he falls asleep when he has it on. SMH....

I subscribe to two talk show/news internet only networks ($10 a piece per month) and we have Amazon Prime ($129 per year) - all via ROKU and I can't understand why hubby does not think this is good enough.

$660 per year just to watch a couple of channels sometimes is crazy in my opinion but he refuses to give it up.I am so annoyed because I was even willing to give up my 2 networks, but he won't budge on his so we are at a standstill. LOL!

BTW- we have just one TV.

I was going to actually give up having a smart phone. I figured I am always home now for the most part and have my laptop.

Hubby has a flip phone he got for free and pays $10 per month from Pure Talk. Just for emergencies in his car. He brings his Kindle Fire to work to use at lunchtime via WIFI if he wants to go on the internet.

But- I decided it was a good idea to stay up to date and at least have one smart phone in the household. It is almost like you have to have one out there in the world these days.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...[W]hat's eating my lunch is the friggin' cable TV/broadband. We pay a shade off $300 a month for it!...

I'll stop whining about $185/mo for expanded cable (ESPN, HGTV, CNBC, Encore), 4-boxes, and internet.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll stop whining about $185/mo for expanded cable (ESPN, HGTV, CNBC, Encore), 4-boxes, and internet.
Yup. That's similar to our 'main house' service, then the second home is another $110/mo. for basic cable and broadband- and we are really just there 5-6ish days a month! But you can't just get 'metered' service, Nope. It's an all-you-can-use whether you use it or not. BLAAAH!

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
We had AT&T cellular for many years, and just switched to T-mobile senior plan - 2 lines with unlimited everything including international for $70/mo inclusive of taxes. One person on the contract has to be 55+, and there is no contract length. They were offering a BOGO I-phone so we took advantage of that offer and each got a 7-plus. The total is $92/mo including paying for the one phone. Our AT&T plan was $95/mo for shared 2 gb data and no phone.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Yup. That's similar to our 'main house' service, then the second home is another $110/mo. for basic cable and broadband- and we are really just there 5-6ish days a month! But you can't just get 'metered' service, Nope. It's an all-you-can-use whether you use it or not. BLAAAH!

I would pick the "Or Not" option.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would pick the "Or Not" option.
I thought we'd be able to opt out too, but our condo is blocked by another building from catching ANY over-the-air TV. We tried it for a while with rabbit ears, but it was a hassle and really detracts from the enjoyment of the place. We were happy to be able to tether our phones to catch internet, but the lack of TV was the game killer.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for the phone info. (Cable is a separate issue we can discuss later - I'm on the hunt for a reduction of that, too.) Several replies:

Mary Ann, coincidentally, I already have an iPhone SE and like it quite a bit. I've had it about three years, and I like the size and features of the phone, and would try to go with that on the new carrier. (The bigger phones out nowadays are just too darn big for me.) Unfortunately, it's a Verizon phone, so is CDMA, not GSM. That means there is no SIM card, so it can't be ported to a new service company. When I switch, I'll have to buy a SIM-capable phone. But I'm seeing very reasonable pricing on them, so any cost savings with a cheaper carrier would pay for itself fairly fast.

Also, Mary Ann, check to see if your home security system can be updated to use a cell phone circuit, instead of a landline. My security system used to be landline-based, but several years ago the company installed a module that has a cell phone dialer attached, and I was able to cancel the landline. It works great, and is actually even better, when you think of it: A burglar could cut the phone line outside your home, and your alarm wouldn't be able to contact anyone. With a cell-based system, there is better security.

One more thing: Mary Ann, if your husband is only watching one channel for MASH reruns, why don't you get him the series on DVD. They aren't making any new episodes, so that seems like a done deal. ?

Jackio, thanks. My brother has the T-Mobile plan you described, and he likes it quite a bit. He lives in southern California, and has much better coverage for T-mobile there than what is available in my area. T-Mobile coverage in my town is sketchy, at best. I have a friend here who has T-Molbile, (her husband is stupidly loyal), but she can't get cell reception at her home. My cell is my only phone at my home, so cell coverage is important.

Dave

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I thought we'd be able to opt out too, but our condo is blocked by another building from catching ANY over-the-air TV. We tried it for a while with rabbit ears, but it was a hassle and really detracts from the enjoyment of the place. We were happy to be able to tether our phones to catch internet, but the lack of TV was the game killer.
I have tv and internet service through my cable provider at my home. At my second home I use my phone/iPad which has unlimited data for the internet and also use my phone/iPad to watch tv real time and reruns using my data signing in through my cable company to see the tv programs. Most cable companies offer this at no additional charge.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've used MVNOs, always, DW uses Tello and spends < $8 /mo and I am currently on the most expensive plan I've ever owned, $12/month with Black Wireless, plan before that was Sprint unlimited for a year for free (taxes only, ~$3/month). Both services have a limited amount of data, and once you exceed it, you get 128k speed unlimited data. That speed cannot possibly play video, but, works fine for every other app including browsing, email, banks, maps while driving with streaming music at the same time, you name it. We are spending the most we've ever spent in our lives on cell service, almost $20/month combined. There are numerous inexpensive services out there. Black Wireless has the same coverage as AT&T. Tello uses Sprint only, so, limited coverage but but enough for where we live. Twigby uses Sprint with Verizon roaming included. Dozens of others far cheaper than the bigger names.

Sprints deal may still be there: https://slickdeals.net/article/news...f-unlimited-service-to-verizon-and-att-users/

Note there is no contract on any of these, quit when you want.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I use Verizon and have switched over the years to Sprint and AT&T but had too many dropped calls as Verizon seems to have better coverage in area;s that I live and visit.

Can anyone recommend a discount plan that uses the Verizon lines or cables for their service?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
RedPocket (which also sells on eBay) owns several MVNOs like Black Wireless, runs on any of the 4 networks, you pick which one you want. So, for example, they have an unlimited text/voice with 5GB/month plan for $20/month prepaid on Verizon. A 500min/500text/500LTE plan is $99/year. Verizon MVNOs are typically a little pricier.

They can move your number from your old carrier, when I switched from Sprint to Black Wireless last month, in < 30 seconds, my number was ported and I was live.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Thanks for the phone info. (Cable is a separate issue we can discuss later - I'm on the hunt for a reduction of that, too.) Several replies:

Mary Ann, coincidentally, I already have an iPhone SE and like it quite a bit. I've had it about three years, and I like the size and features of the phone, and would try to go with that on the new carrier. (The bigger phones out nowadays are just too darn big for me.) Unfortunately, it's a Verizon phone, so is CDMA, not GSM. That means there is no SIM card, so it can't be ported to a new service company. When I switch, I'll have to buy a SIM-capable phone. But I'm seeing very reasonable pricing on them, so any cost savings with a cheaper carrier would pay for itself fairly fast.

Also, Mary Ann, check to see if your home security system can be updated to use a cell phone circuit, instead of a landline. My security system used to be landline-based, but several years ago the company installed a module that has a cell phone dialer attached, and I was able to cancel the landline. It works great, and is actually even better, when you think of it: A burglar could cut the phone line outside your home, and your alarm wouldn't be able to contact anyone. With a cell-based system, there is better security.

One more thing: Mary Ann, if your husband is only watching one channel for MASH reruns, why don't you get him the series on DVD. They aren't making any new episodes, so that seems like a done deal. ?

Jackio, thanks. My brother has the T-Mobile plan you described, and he likes it quite a bit. He lives in southern California, and has much better coverage for T-mobile there than what is available in my area. T-Mobile coverage in my town is sketchy, at best. I have a friend here who has T-Molbile, (her husband is stupidly loyal), but she can't get cell reception at her home. My cell is my only phone at my home, so cell coverage is important.

Dave

The SE I got from Walmart- you can put a SIM card into it. It was brand new and $139 which I thought was a great price. When I got Straight Talk at Walmart- they give you the card to put into it. BTW- it is 10GB.

I am going to ask about the cellular for our security system. I have heard of that. Just concerned about the reliability of cellular in the area in which we live, but I can ask them about that.

Great idea about the MASH DVD's! But I then still have the news network issues. Drives me nuts!

Thanks! And good luck with you new cell service whatever you choose!

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I suggest looking to eBay for a used GSM iPhone. They’re not expensive, and currently prices are being pushed down due to the new iPhones recently released. This would open up your options considerably.

Alternatively, my local Costco suggested I wait to purchase a new iPhone until Thanksgiving (Black Friday...) as they expect significant deals at that time, based on previous years. You’ve heard of Costco, right, Dave? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You could also look at PagePlus. While it runs on the Verizon network, you may be able to easily switch over with your current phone. AT&T outsources too.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I suggest looking to eBay for a used GSM iPhone. They’re not expensive, and currently prices are being pushed down due to the new iPhones recently released. This would open up your options considerably.

Alternatively, my local Costco suggested I wait to purchase a new iPhone until Thanksgiving (Black Friday...) as they expect significant deals at that time, based on previous years. You’ve heard of Costco, right, Dave? ;)

Why yes, Ken, now that you mention it, I think I might have heard of Costco. Somewhere... :)

It's not a bad idea, but the issue with newer models of iPhones is they're huge. I don't need or want a huge cell phone. I don't watch movies or whatever on my phone, so don't need a monstrous screen. Additionally, the iPhones sold at Costco are with associated plans from the vendors there. I don't want to sign up for another contract with a major player. I'm looking for a low-cost, no-contract plan, where I have the option to move between carriers if I choose. I also don't want a prepaid plan, so some of these lowest cost companies won't work for me. :)

Dave

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Why yes, Ken, now that you mention it, I think I might have heard of Costco. Somewhere... :)

It's not a bad idea, but the issue with newer models of iPhones is they're huge. I don't need or want a huge cell phone. I don't watch movies or whatever on my phone, so don't need a monstrous screen. Additionally, the iPhones sold at Costco are with associated plans from the vendors there. I don't want to sign up for another contract with a major player. I'm looking for a low-cost, no-contract plan, where I have the option to move between carriers if I choose. I also don't want a prepaid plan, so some of these lowest cost companies won't work for me. :)

Dave

Thought you might know of the place.

The rep told me specifically I could pay in full for the phone and connect it to my current T-Mobile plan. Perhaps if you don’t want one of the companies they work with then you can’t buy there, though if you pay full price you might not have that requirement.

FWIW, I switched from AT&T (which was LA Cellular when I joined long, long ago) to T-Mobile four years ago and pay for five lines now what I was paying AT&T for one with just about the same level of service and plan. My average per line cost after tax is just about $28 per month (note they do not offer my plan any longer, but there are similar options).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Consumer Cellular uses both AT&T and T-Mobile network. Be sure to choose the correct one for you.
We are with Verizon and have been for many many years. I'm always keeping my eye on their latest and greatest to keep my costs down. Just recently I needed to add a phone that works at my hunting lease, because my Verizon phone does not. After researching I realized that I would need a phone on the AT&T network. I decided on Consumer Cellular with a simple $20 a month plan. I got the phone from Target. Upon arriving at the lease, my service was terrible. I contacted Consumer Cellular to tell them that my phone coverage did not work in the area that I knew AT&T did work. I was told that my phone was put on T-Mobile's network at the time of purchase, not AT&T's. They told me to take my phone back to Target and have the mobile rep replace the SIM card with one on the AT&T network. I had the SIM card replaced and was instantly on AT&T network. My phone now works great at my hunting lease.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Consumer Cellular uses both AT&T and T-Mobile network. Be sure to choose the correct one for you.
We are with Verizon and have been for many many years. I'm always keeping my eye on their latest and greatest to keep my costs down. Just recently I needed to add a phone that works at my hunting lease, because my Verizon phone does not. After researching I realized that I would need a phone on the AT&T network. I decided on Consumer Cellular with a simple $20 a month plan. I got the phone from Target. Upon arriving at the lease, my service was terrible. I contacted Consumer Cellular to tell them that my phone coverage did not work in the area that I knew AT&T did work. I was told that my phone was put on T-Mobile's network at the time of purchase, not AT&T's. They told me to take my phone back to Target and have the mobile rep replace the SIM card with one on the AT&T network. I had the SIM card replaced and was instantly on AT&T network. My phone now works great at my hunting lease.

Thanks, Terry. This is very good information to know. I'll make sure if I go this route that we end up on the right network. :thumbup:

Dave

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

Dave

So, I always use Swappa when buying used phones, I only buy Mint conditions ones myself. When you buy an unlocked phone, you can choose any carriers you want. From iPhone 6 and on, they can be used on any carrier if unlocked, CDMA or GSM. That gives you the most choices.

Tello, Twigby, and even Black wireless are month to month, no contracts. Ting is also, but more expensive. From the sounds of it, ideal for you.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
I've been looking at cell costs too. I found a couple of sites that compare providers. We have used AT&T for years and have 5 lines on our plan. We have a couple of challenges to switching. Of the 5 lines 3 are local to us. One is in Los Angeles (Son) and one is on the outskirts of Portland (Daughter). I found that Cricket Wireless offers a 5 line unlimited data plan for $125 a month. They use AT&T's wireless network. So we would get savings of over $100 a month, keep our existing phones (which everybody is happy with), have the same network coverage we've always had and been happy with. The good kicker for us is that Cricket has stores close to both son & daughter making it easier to switch.

A year & 1/2 ago I also looked at home service (phone, TV, & internet). We had Verizon FIOS but Spectrum was offering a package of $29.99 each when you bundled all 3 services. That price was supposed to be for 1 year. We switched because it saved us over $120 a month. Turned out that intro price lasted for 1.5 years. Price just went up $30 so we're still $90 a month to the good compare to the old FIOS price.