• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anything different about a non-U.S. party taking over a U.S. timeshare?

Space Coast Laurie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Capistrano Surfside Inn (Capistrano Bch, CA), The Resort on Cocoa Beach (Cocoa Bch, FL)
Someone is giving me a timeshare week at a resort we enjoy visiting (and for which we would occasionally be able to enjoy day use). To keep our timeshare inventory at its current level (we only get so many vacation weeks a year), we are looking to give away one of our current timeshares. We have someone in Canada who may be interested in the timeshare we're giving away, and I'm wondering if anything would be different with the person not being from/in the U.S. (the timeshare is located in California).

For my last couple of timeshare transactions, including the timeshare I'm about to get, I verified all maintenance fees and special assessments were paid up, checked the county records to ensure there were no liens, wrote up the quit claim deed, the appropriate parties notarized it, we recorded the deed and paid the doc stamps to the appropriate county, paid the fee to VRI to register the transfer, and notified the resort... all the usual stuff you'd pay a closing company to do. I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, so I encouraged the other party to feel free to have a lawyer look over the quit claim deed (as an amusing aside, the person who's giving me the timeshare IS a lawyer and said the deed I wrote up looked fine).

Wondering if anyone knows of anything that would not be handled the same way if the person receiving the timeshare I'm giving away is not in the U.S. The resort said nothing would be different at their end. VRI said to ask a closing/title company, but I doubt I'm going to get much advice from them outside of "This is a complicated thing that you should allow US to do rather than doing it yourself."

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
If anything has to be notarized they may have to go to the US or the US embassy to get it done. Otherwise nothing I can think of. I’m Canadian and I own American timeshares. I purchased my first from HGVC direct while in the US(I know big mistake!) and when I was buying resale from Hawaii they were just going to have me sign and get it notarized once they received it although I think that is illegal and it must be notarized in my presence. The notary is basically signing to say it was really me and I did not sign under duress!

So back to my original statement if it needs notarizing then that may have to be done either in the US or at the US embassy.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a Canadian and have bought a bunch of US timeshares. The deeds are exactly the same as the previous deeds that were granted to US residents.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
The previous response is correct, if it is a state that requires the buyer to notarize (and I didn't on my purchase at Club Donatello in California that is in closing by LT Transfers, who presumably know) then they will have to either go to the US, the US embassy, or a US consulate. I went to the consulate here for a Hawaii timeshare I bought, which was pretty unpleasant but not really a big deal.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If anything has to be notarized they may have to go to the US or the US embassy to get it done.....I'm a Canadian and have bought a bunch of US timeshares. The deeds are exactly the same as the previous deeds that were granted to US residents.

In most U.S. states (with some exceptions) only the grantor signature needs to be notarized on a new deed.
In fact, a grantee signature is not required at all on the new deed in most U.S. states (NOLA et al excepted).

i dunno anything at all about practices in California, where the OP's timeshare is apparently located. :shrug:

Last edited: