• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ARDA responds to recent "industry reform" op-ed piece

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the article is actually very gentle in responding to the issue of exit companies. I was recently in contact with an exit company, not because I was interested to sell but rather to understand their role in the timeshare industry. My interaction with them was very disappointing, their presentation was very manipulative and very dishonest, far beyond anything I have encountered at a timeshare presentation.

In my opinion their practice is not only detrimental to the timeshare companies but also to the owners they claim to saves. Not only they charge outrageous fees making false claims, many times the result is that the owners end up selling their timeshares for far less than they are worth and, outrageously, the exit companies pocket all the proceeds even when those deeds do have value. This practice further puts pressure on the resale prices so I think we all lose from this practice. Of course those that bought from the developers have the most to lose.

I also believe that in many cases they are also involved in renting at firesale prices while the contracts that are in transition, making the rental market weaker than it should be.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opi...0191016-firzlnyjp5e4rhhg7is3g6q63e-story.html

is a fascinating dynamic that the leading 3rd party exit company is taking the "we want to fix this industry" line to a whole new level...all while seemingly using similar or in some cases the same misleading tactics to convince owners to buy their product as the industry itself!

The ARDA Leadership, in my opinion, starting with its new President and CEO (who of all stellar corporations, came from Wyndham Destinations (talk about the Fox Guarding the Chicken Coop)) are seemingly under the influence of something. I find it unfathomable that ARDA, it's staff and non-staff leadership, and ARDA-ROC, and it's staff and non-staff leadership, can perpetuate the sins and evils that they do. Tis the season for ARDA-ROC to have their hand out, looking for (allegedly) voluntary contributions, that the very same people who got deceived into buying a timeshare, are likely to be similarly deceived into thinking that they can't opt-out of their allegedly voluntary contribution to ARDA-ROC. In my opinion, every penny that timeshare owners contribute to ARDA-ROC, is another penny that contributes to ARDA-ROC's leverage AGAINST timeshare owners. But, ARDA-ROC will put a spin on their work, to suggest to the ill-informed that their work is altruistic, and in the best interest of timeshare owners (NOT!).

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
we absolutely agree that the "voluntary" contributions to ARDA in owners maint fee statements are one of the most absurd things in this entire industry.

not sure whats more misleading..that in most cases the "voluntary" contribution is paid by default for millions of owners as part of their maint fees, or that many folks are convinced that money goes to causes that benefit them vs developers.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
we absolutely agree that the "voluntary" contributions to ARDA in owners maint fee statements are one of the most absurd things in this entire industry.

not sure whats more misleading..that in most cases the "voluntary" contribution is paid by default for millions of owners as part of their maint fees, or that many folks are convinced that money goes to causes that benefit them vs developers.

We disagree somewhat every year when this issue comes up with MF's, Brian. :)

While I, like you, would prefer that the timeshare companies didn't get in bed with ARDA-ROC by including the opportunity to donate to it with the annual MF's bills, as long as they do I think it's important to note that not EVERY timeshare company makes it difficult to recognize that it is indeed a voluntary contribution and that it goes toward the owner arm of ARDA, which is ARDA-ROC (ardaroc.org), and not directly to the corporate arm which is ARDA (arda.org) itself. Marriott, for example, clearly delineates it as a separate, voluntary contribution in addition to the MF's, one that requires an Opt-In election when filling out the invoice both online and in snail mail. Most years Marriott also includes an insert introducing and including the contact information for the owners' ARDA-ROC representative.

I also think, like you do, that it happens very infrequently that ARDA-ROC breaks with ARDA's position on items that impact the industry as a whole, but it's not absolutely unheard of. Less infrequent are times when ARDA-ROC and ARDA are in agreement (such as with the local tax proposals in recent years that attempted to tax timeshares on par or above transitory lodging like hotels) when the added support of ARDA-ROC can be the catalyst that forces legal protections for timeshare owners.

There are very few of us on TUG who make the distinction between ARDA and ARDA-ROC, probably fewer still who support ARDA-ROC as a timeshare owners lobbying group. I can't even say that I've contributed in years when items that didn't directly impact me were on the horizon. So I'm DEFINITELY NOT saying here that everybody must support ARDA-ROC - only asking that people know exactly what it is that they're being asked to support. :)

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
oh I agree that there are examples of ARDA ROC putting money towards goals that do indeed benefit owners...but only when those goals also benefit the developer and the owners benefit is a secondary result.

I have asked for years for one single example of a cause championed by arda or arda roc that benefited owners over developers....and ive only gotten silence as an answer. Heck ARDA ROC could take an easy step against upfront fee resale scammers, but for many years many of those were actually ARDA members!

I also believe folks should always have to opt in vs specifically having to opt out, vs it being checked by default (maybe marriott has changed this, but being a marriott family for many years dating back to before TUG was even founded...it most certainly has not always been like that).

as with all things timeshare, I am for owners making an informed educated decision..and if one is aware of the differences in arda/arda roc and feels that their money is best spent sending that 7 dollars annually in support...thats perfectly fine by me!

However id gander that the VAST majority of owners do not fall into that category...and it simply gets paid year in and year out.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I always find the love/hate relationship with the developer to be ironic.

The simple fact is that no resort has been constructed with resale dollars. Which requires the investment and role of a developer. And ARDA is a resort development group.

Last edited:

wynBob

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
The ARDA Leadership, in my opinion, starting with its new President and CEO (who of all stellar corporations, came from Wyndham Destinations (talk about the Fox Guarding the Chicken Coop)) are seemingly under the influence of something. I find it unfathomable that ARDA, it's staff and non-staff leadership, and ARDA-ROC, and it's staff and non-staff leadership, can perpetuate the sins and evils that they do. Tis the season for ARDA-ROC to have their hand out, looking for (allegedly) voluntary contributions, that the very same people who got deceived into buying a timeshare, are likely to be similarly deceived into thinking that they can't opt-out of their allegedly voluntary contribution to ARDA-ROC. In my opinion, every penny that timeshare owners contribute to ARDA-ROC, is another penny that contributes to ARDA-ROC's leverage AGAINST timeshare owners. But, ARDA-ROC will put a spin on their work, to suggest to the ill-informed that their work is altruistic, and in the best interest of timeshare owners (NOT!).

Jason Gamel, the relatively new president of ARDA, is a good man - but he heads an organization that, like any special interest group, has a primary focus to do anything they can to protect or empower the corporations in their industry. Sometimes consumers benefit, but as someone else noted that is tangential to the primary goal of any rules or legislation advocated by ARDA.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Sue, with Vistana, the ARDA fee is added into our total maintenance fee, and it's up to us to subtract it from every contract before paying. So it doesn't feel "voluntary," it feels forced. I agree that Marriott is great about that charge and has it included as a voluntary thing. That is not the case with every timeshare we own, unfortunately.

When it really became awkward for me was when I had a credit on my account because I had overpaid on contract's maintenance fees. The ARDA was charged that year right out of my credit. That made me angry and when I complained, no one at Starwood (back five years ago or so) cared one bit that I paid that and didn't give me any money back. From now on, my statements all say I owe $5.00 at the end of the year. They don't zero it out. I call and tell them I am not paying that. Every year this occurs. It's downright dishonest.