• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ARDA-ROC Voluntary Contribution, not clear that it's voluntary

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
How much does ARDA collect a year from all the timeshare resorts ?

Supposed just 200, 000 owners paid that $7.00 fees or what ever you called it.
That is a very nice return for someone.:wall::eek::eek::eek:

dang, maybe weve been doing it wrong all these years and need to change the TUG fee to $7...call it ARDA-TUG =D

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
dang, maybe weve been doing it wrong all these years and need to change the TUG fee to $7...call it ARDA-TUG =D

You need the resorts to put it on MF bills and make it hard to get off....wait a minute....you promote dirty resale for people right? No cooperation then unless you start going retail only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
thats true, absolutely no chance an organization that actually helps owners would be promoted by the industry :ponder:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
thats true, absolutely no chance an organization that actually helps owners would be promoted by the industry :ponder:

it’s to their benefit to encourage sites like this. I wonder how many times TUG has found a new paying owner that otherwise would have been another foreclosure? Not only has this site saved owners money but saved resorts from foreclosure costs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
sadly if saving foreclosure costs was the goal of resorts in general, they would all have very popular and well used deedback programs.

its much more profitable to scare owners into threatning collections/delinquencies/credit hits/foreclosures than it is to work with owners who have reached the end of their ownership lifetime.

dandjane1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Walk (Platinum UDI) Wyndham Access (Platinum trust), Wyndham National Harbor (Platinum UDI), HGVC Deed at Kingsland, HI, HGV Max (Premiere Plus) Trust
We have owned since 2010 with DRI, points only. From day one, we have NEVER paid the $7 ARDA fee. I questioned it from the get-go, and each year, have to call and get it removed. The new Balance shows up on your DRI "Dashboard" very quickly - in a couple of days. It was really nice to see that the Price-Per-Point MFs for 2019 are the same as 2018 - maybe to keep owners happy for when Apollo spins off DRI later in 2019 with an IPO?

mjc775

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Waikiki Beach Walk + DRI/HVC
...I prepay my maintenance fees each month throughout the year so that I don't get hit with a big bill at the end of the year. I just paid my 2019 balance of $169 minus $7 effective 12/31/18. Since the fee doesn't drop off for a while and I'll have a $7 balance on 12/31/18, am I going to miss out on the $500 cruise voucher since my fees won't technically fullfill condition 1 of the voucher qualification?

UPDATE: I just checked my online account history. My final 2019 payment minus the "ARDA-ROC Voluntary Contribution" was made on 12/31/18, and I received a $7 credit on 1/2/19. No contacting DRI necessary.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I got this in my statement email dated 12/1/18:

I prepay my maintenance fees each month throughout the year so that I don't get hit with a big bill at the end of the year. I just paid my 2019 balance of $169 minus $7 effective 12/31/18. Since the fee doesn't drop off for a while and I'll have a $7 balance on 12/31/18, am I going to miss out on the $500 cruise voucher since my fees won't technically fullfill condition 1 of the voucher qualification?

On another topic... now that Surepay is an option to spread out our annual MFs, since I've been prepaying on a monthly basis I'm looking forward to making NO payments in 2019, and making payment 1 of 12 of my 2020 fees on 1/1/20.
Will the cruise voucher really be worth $500, or is it otherwise not really worth the paper it is printed on?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
For deeded week owners, here's a reminder. The statements for 2020 maintenance fees are out now, and, as always, they include a $7.00 fee for the "ARDA-ROC Voluntary Contribution". ARDA-ROC is a lobbying group for developers, not for owners. If you don't want to pay, call them and ask them to credit $7 from each of your deeded week contracts. Or as I discovered this year, I was able to log in and use the chat line to ask for the credit. They say it takes 7-10 days before the credit shows up on the account, so check to make sure. They don't always get it done the first try, so call again if it doesn't show up.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone named the best practices for timeshare owners by ARDA ?

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
For DRI owners with deeds, if you examine the 2019 statements that are going out now, you'll see a line item:

2019-ARDA-ROC Voluntary Contribution - $7.00

ARDA-ROC is a lobbying group that represents the interests of the developers, not the timeshare owners. DRI adds this to your bill, but doesn't tell you that you don't have to pay it. If you don't want to pay it, call them up and tell them to credit $7 to each of the weeks you own. They do this every year.

For points owners, you don't have a choice. The boards of the collections are controlled by DRI so they always choose to donate to the ARDA-ROC.

Of course you have a choice. I've been a points owner for 12 years now and have never paid the fee. When I call in to pay my annual maint fees I tell the person to deduct the fee. No problem in 12 years.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
No, there are none for owners.
One that I am aware of is fighting property taxes and other fees that may target timeshare owners. They fought this in Hawaii and USVI. So there is some benefit for the timeshare owner. Though that is about the only one I can think of.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maintenance fee statements are going out now, so if you look at your statement, you'll see:

2023-ARDA-ROC Voluntary Contribution $7.00

Since ARDA-ROC is a lobbying group for the developers, and not the timeshare owners, you may not want to pay the fee. If you don't, you have to call them and tell them to subtract it from your statement. This year I went on line and used a chat window to ask them to subtract it. The conversation went like this.

4:49:30 p.m.Me:How do I remove the optional $7.00 ARDA-ROC fee from my maintenance fee?
4:50:02 p.m.Agent:I can request it for you. Just make the payment, minus $7.00
4:50:45 p.m.Me:I already did that, and it hasn't been removed yet.
4:51:10 p.m.Agent:Did you speak with an agent to have it removed?
4:51:22 p.m.Me:no
4:52:38 p.m.Agent:It will not be removed unless an agent requests it.
4:52:56 p.m.Agent:I requested it for you. It should take 7-10 business days.
4:53:24 p.m.Me:did you request it for all 3 of my deeds?
4:53:52 p.m.Agent:Off the HOAs
4:54:18 p.m.Me:for all 3?
4:55:19 p.m.Agent:Yes.
4:55:37 p.m.Me:thanks, I'll check again in a couple of weeks

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Didn't get the fees removed, so I had another chat. He promised to file a ticket to waive the $7, and this is how the conversation ended.
1:29:50 p.m.me:It shouldn't be so much trouble to opt out of donating to a lobbying group that benefits timeshare developers.
1:30:14 p.m.agent:I agree

Duh

Reaction score
Didn't get the fees removed, so I had another chat. He promised to file a ticket to waive the $7, and this is how the conversation ended.
1:29:50 p.m.me:It shouldn't be so much trouble to opt out of donating to a lobbying group that benefits timeshare developers.
1:30:14 p.m.agent:I agree
I've always called in to pay my miant fees and have never had an issue getting the $7 removed.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've always called in to pay my miant fees and have never had an issue getting the $7 removed.
I used to call too, but they often wouldn't remove it the first time. I'd have to call back 2 weeks later and ask again. Not too different that the chat window, except now I can save a transcript of the conversation. My hearing and my memory aren't as good anymore, so I prefer chat windows to voice calls. :LOL:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Finally, my optional $7.00 ARDA-ROC fee got removed from each of my contracts! :whooopie:

This all started on November 8. After two chat sessions, two phone calls, and an email (all separated by more than the amount of time they said it would take), this finally showed up in each of my transaction histories.

Transaction DateAssess YearDescriptionTypeDue DateDebitCreditBalance
10-Jan-20232023ARDA-ROC Voluntary ContributionInvoice10-Jan-2023$7.00$0.00

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Finally, my optional $7.00 ARDA-ROC fee got removed from each of my contracts! :whooopie:

This all started on November 8. After two chat sessions, two phone calls, and an email (all separated by more than the amount of time they said it would take), this finally showed up in each of my transaction histories.

[/

Been leaving out the Arda payments since the Sunterra buyout. Never had a problem with the Arda charge eventuality disappearing from my outstanding balance