TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Aruba Ocean Club or Surf Club

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by nuwermj, Sep 1, 2018.

1. nuwermj

nuwermj TUG Member

I'm considering a trip to Aruba and would like some input on why someone might prefer Marriott's Ocean Club or Surf Club. My reservation would be via an II exchange and I'd be looking for a one bedroom unit. I've been to Aruba already, but stayed on Eagle Beach.

2. m61376

m61376 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

You’ll get a lot of split opinions here. The OC is smaller and quieter, the SC has about double the number of villas. The beach sizes are about the same, but it’s easier to get a palapa at the OC because there are more per keyed room so less competition. The pool at the OC is nice but unremarkable (in my opinion): the pools at the SC are bigger and more numerous. Pools at the SC include a kiddie pool, a toddler pool with a splash zone, a large pool with waterfall and spray features, as well as a nice curved slide through rocks, which connects to a large lazy river, adjacent to that is another pool with a pool bar and volleyball net. Hidden behind shrubbery is an adult only Serenity pool, with an adjoining hot tub.. there is another hot tub within the landscaping of the lazy river,
    The SC has a play set, outdoor shuffleboard, pool table, ping pong and foosball by the splash pool, the OC has giant checkers and chess.
    The SC has a large greatly club and the OC guests can share the facilities at the Marriott hotel next door. they can also use the hotel pool, except for their adult pool.

1BR units or the master of the 2BR at the OC have a jetted tub, while the SC has a large soaker tub. There are in villa washer and driers in the 1BR units at the SC but not at the OC, but there are units I believe on every other floor.

The units at the SC are a bit larger but both are nice. Both resorts have grills.
    And both share the same part of Palm Beach and you’ll have a great time at either resott!

PamMo, TravelTime, jdg0928 and 4 others like this.
  3. classiclincoln

classiclincoln TUG Member

Look at the Renaissance; you might like it.

4. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Access to the private island (with flamingos) is a big plus of the Renaissance.

TravelTime likes this.
  5. csalter2

csalter2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Ko Olina
    Marriott Aruba Surf Club
    Marriott Ocean Pointe
    Diamond Resorts Gold
    Michael,

Are you looking to use Diamond Resorts points for this exchange? What time of your are you considering going? Certain times of year can be difficult to exchange into at the Marriott properties in Aruba.

6. nuwermj

nuwermj TUG Member

Yes, I expected split opinions. But unlike Facebook, TUG members provide enough detail for one to make an informed decision. Your response is exactly that. Thank you very much for taking the time to formulate it.

Thanks for the tip. I think I would rather not stay in Oranjestad. But I'll check it out anyway. Maybe I've overlooked something.

Thanks for your input Charles. I'm exchanging a 2BR week at either Vistana Resort or Welk Resort. I know these will get me a one bedroom at one of the Marriott resorts, as I've already been offered matches. But the trip fell through for other reasons.

csalter2 likes this.
  7. Sunbum

Sunbum TUG Member

IMHO, If you have kids, you will probably prefer the Surf Club. If no kids, I would suggest the Ocean Club.

8. youppi

youppi TUG Member

9. Sunbum

Sunbum TUG Member

I am told that you have to be up at 3am for a palapa at the Playa Linda

youppi likes this.
  10. classiclincoln

classiclincoln TUG Member

"I am told that you have to be up at 3am for a palapa at the Playa Linda"

That's pretty much at any of the large resorts.

Squan66 likes this.
  11. Sunbum

Sunbum TUG Member

Not at the Marriott Ocean Club. We are there Feb/Mar and i go down between 7am and 8am and get my free palapa. NP

Pamplemousse likes this.
  12. Dean

Dean TUG Member

If you're exchanging, take the first one that comes and if you place an ongoing search, list them both.

13. mdurette

mdurette Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Personally....I (and my kid) prefer OC - but I would also take SC if that was my only option.

Why, mainly due to the size and the amount of people. Aruba to me is my relaxing vacation. Hang around by the pool and the beach and simply sit back and watch the world go by. I don't care to deal with chair tagging at SC or tripping over everyone's lazy river floats as I walk around.

Size: OC 218 rooms, SC 450 rooms

SC does have the lazy river and in room washer/dryer.....but I will take less people around me over both of those.

Dean's point is spot on. Take whichever comes up first. I would also add eplus to make a possible switch if desire.

Pamplemousse likes this.
  14. mrsc

mrsc TUG Member

I have an exchange for a 2_BR for Memorial Day week 2020 using a Custom House week. is this week hard to obtain for either Marriott in Aruba?

15. mdurette

mdurette Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I wouldn’t call it hard because not high season, But still a great vacation!

16. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Harborside Resort at Atlantis
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    I went to the Bahamas Memorial Day week this year. What a great time to travel!! Sort of low crowds, great weather, and only 4 days off work :)

17. Dean

Dean TUG Member

I think it's a great time to be there, not a particularly difficult trade. What view type did you get?

18. ilene13

ilene13 TUG Member

You do Weeks 51/52.