• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aruba surf club ocean view room with no view

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought an ocean view in surf but have yet to use it. I’ve been to surf but stayed in lighthouse using a family members unit. I think you got the worst possible ocean view. Higher floors in compass and spyglass are better views but ocean view is only 1 category up from garden view. If you want the really pretty views you have to spring for Oceanside or ocean front, both in the lighthouse building.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Oceanside you are guaranteed to be in the Lighthouse tower but you can still end up on the 3rd floor, which viewwise, is not any better than the OP's ocean view unit

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
It's Aruba - don't sweat the small stuff! Whether you are on the 4th floor or the 12th floor, its all good. I have always gotten the view category that was indicated on the II exchange. If you don't like the view that you receive, you can always ask the front desk nicely and I would expect that they would try to accommodate

Marathoner has that right!! I would never let small things like sheets not fitting on the beds or the game room machines eating some money ruin our annual trip to Aruba. I've experienced worse things at the Surf Club and Ocean club (Washer ruined clothes) and have always found that management there TRIES to make things right. All of these MVC resorts are aged/ aging and the popular ones are occupied continuously with little time to do maintenance between guests (as stated in other posts here everyone wants to be assured of checking in by 4:00pm )! In fact, during our visit to the Surf Club last month, we got a note that during one day of our stay, engineering and maintenance would be entering our villa in order to check out and troubleshoot appliances and major items to make sure things were working properly. I thought this was handled fine and we had sufficient notice to make sure we put away any valuables in the safe, etc. There aren't too many brand new or fully refurbished MVC resorts going up, so there will always be some things that have to be dealt with or serviced.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
Traded here 4 times since 2008. 2 times getting a 2 br for 1 br, 1 time a 2 br for a studio and 1 time a 1 br for a studio. I really appreciated the availability for upgrades. I couldn't tell you what my confirmation's said nor what i got. Some rooms had nicer views than others. This is not unique to trades to the Surf. I can remember at times having challenges getting lounges and huts. Challenges with lounges are not unique to the Surf. What sticks out to me and the reasons we go back are the beaches, weather, lazy river (least of the reasons) and resturants.

jdg0928

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club Aruba
As the person at the front desk told another couple, "OV" is a category of room, not a description of what's out the window.

We've been all over Spyglass and Compass in OV and GV, and I'm not 100 percent sure I can pick a favorite. Each has its pros and cons. What amazes me are the folks who get all bent out of shape over a room location when they make no effort to call ahead or treat the employees with respect when inquiring.

I love a high view as much as anyone, but IMHO it might be time to reevaluate things if the view from one's room makes or breaks a vacation.

Reactions: jme

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I cannot believe that no one expect a new trees not to grow over a five to ten years cycle.
Someone should have prune theses trees.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
As the person at the front desk told another couple, "OV" is a category of room, not a description of what's out the window.

We've been all over Spyglass and Compass in OV and GV, and I'm not 100 percent sure I can pick a favorite. Each has its pros and cons. What amazes me are the folks who get all bent out of shape over a room location when they make no effort to call ahead or treat the employees with respect when inquiring.

I love a high view as much as anyone, but IMHO it might be time to reevaluate things if the view from one's room makes or breaks a vacation.

I am not a big gotta’ have an ocean room or bust type of person, but if I paid extra for an ocean view room then I want an ocean view room.

jdg0928

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club Aruba
I am not a big gotta’ have an ocean room or bust type of person, but if I paid extra for an ocean view room then I want an ocean view room.

That's the catch ... there are Ocean View rooms and there are rooms with a view of the ocean. The former does not guarantee the latter.

Before we bought, we rented GV a few times and requested the side (building D / 9) of Spyglass. While we never had a room as high as I hoped, we at least did better than the second or third floor of Compass or "back" of Spyglass (building C / 8). However, I always knew we ran the risk of ending up there when renting GV.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Where MVC resorts have different view designations, we expect that within a designation there will be a range from better to less good actual views.
It can be hit and miss as to which of these you get, whatever preferences you may request, with “home” weeks owners likely but not guaranteed to get the better choices overall.
However, I really do think it is at the very least misleading and worse actually wrong of MVC to describe a unit as Ocean View unless it has at least some view of the Ocean.
In the UK anyway, I believe that would be contrary to the Trades Description Act and as a result could be rejected.