• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aruba Surf Club Questions

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We are heading back to the Surf Club next week for the first time since 2013. I am sure there are not a lot of changes, but I don't remember the schtick around getting a palapa. Line up in the morning, afternoon, both, when? Can you pay for the use of a palapa? I think I recall a certain number were blocked for paid use? If so, how much, which ones?

Also, what about the rules on size of tubes for the lazy river? I recall a certain maximum size when we were there in 2013, but also that it seemed not everyone gave it any consideration because we had to dodge huge rafts too.

Thanks for any other tips, we are certainly looking forward to our trip back. Will there be any other Tuggers there at the same time? We arrive on September 3rd.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Dioxide,

I'm sorry that I can't answer your question, but I am happy you are returning to Aruba Surf Club! Let us know how the trip goes!

I thought that some of the palapas could be reserved the previous afternoon and then the remainder were first come first served -- but that really is a hazy memory. Hopefully a recent visitor will provide the right information. Have fun!

Best,

Greg

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
We were at Aruba Surf Club last month - great resort!

Any size noodles are allowed. Tubes up to 50 inches in diameter allowed. No flat beds/rafts.

Not an expert on the Palapa rental, but you can pay to rent one I believe only 2 days in a row ($10 or $15 depending on location). There are free Palapas available twice a day (first come first serve) I believe at 7am for that day and 4pm for the next day. We got there around 3:15 almost every day and were able to reserve one for free (husband doesn't do mornings!).

There is an excellent Marriott Aruba SurfClub facebook page with over 6000+ members which we found VERY helpful planning for our trip.

Enjoy your trip!!

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
We are heading back to the Surf Club next week for the first time since 2013. I am sure there are not a lot of changes, but I don't remember the schtick around getting a palapa. Line up in the morning, afternoon, both, when? Can you pay for the use of a palapa? I think I recall a certain number were blocked for paid use? If so, how much, which ones?

Also, what about the rules on size of tubes for the lazy river? I recall a certain maximum size when we were there in 2013, but also that it seemed not everyone gave it any consideration because we had to dodge huge rafts too.

Thanks for any other tips, we are certainly looking forward to our trip back. Will there be any other Tuggers there at the same time? We arrive on September 3rd.
We were there about 18 months ago and my recollection of the lazy river was that it was like rush hour on an expressway. If there were size requirements they were not enforced. Floats of pretty much all sizes are sold in the marketplace and there are air hose filling stations there. Also they do not seem to enforce the towel reservation on pool chairs. That may have changed since it did seem to be getting out of hand....towels on chairs at 7am but no occupants til much later. (I am at Ko Olina now and they do an excellent job of following a one hour rule...no people, towels gone!). There is a palapa policy...didn’t use them but there was a system where folks were lining up mid afternoon for next day use.

Have fun....it’s a great place but takes patience!

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I'll be there the same week but stay at the Ocean Club.

Wally3433

Reaction score

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been reading a lot of complaints on FB that over the years there are more private vendors offering umbrellas and chairs for rent on the beach. The issue is they set up between the palapas and the water - thus creating hazards for people trying to walk from the beach to their palapas. These also get prime spots along the shore.

I suppose you would either hate them or love them depending on if you choose to use the vendor.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
We were there about 18 months ago and my recollection of the lazy river was that it was like rush hour on an expressway.!
Funny, my recollection was like going thru the Holland tunnel minus the ezpass and smog on my weekly trip into NYC.
Im tubing here! Im tubing here!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Funny, my recollection was like going thru the Holland tunnel minus the ezpass and smog on my weekly trip into NYC.
Im tubing here! Im tubing here!
Jont never new he could float like that. He was going faster than he'd ever gone before, and yet, it all seemed to be happening in slow motion. He was seeing three and four moves ahead, weaving in and out of vacationers like an Olympic skier on a gold medal run. He knew he was challenging the very laws of physics. At the lifeguard, he dived deep. At the stairs, he used the back stroke. He had it. He was there.. and then.. he hit the stretch by the Compass Building. They say no one's ever beaten the stretch by the Compass Building, but gentlemen, I tell you this - he came as close as anyone ever has. And if it hadn't been for that five-float-pile-up by the Marketplace, jont would be at the Sea Worthy pool bar right now instead of standing in that long line hoping to snag a palapa for tomorrow.

Last edited:

byebye

TUG Member
Reaction score
We love the lazy river but the only problem is when there are a bunch of people that think they own it and they all lock together - then its difficult to get around them. But that's only few and far between. Most of the time people are very friendly and love to talk.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We love the lazy river but the only problem is when there are a bunch of people that think they own it and they all lock together - then its difficult to get around them. But that's only few and far between. Most of the time people are very friendly and love to talk.
But the rules say no more than two people locked together at the same time???

PaulaC

TUG Member
Reaction score
But the rules say no more than two people locked together at the same time???
Unfortunately, the rules mean nothing to some people. We were there in May and a group of 6 to 8 people floated locked together, only breaking up, if the security warned them. Once out of sight, they locked together again and made it impossible for anyone to pass.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
I have been reading a lot of complaints on FB that over the years there are more private vendors offering umbrellas and chairs for rent on the beach. The issue is they set up between the palapas and the water - thus creating hazards for people trying to walk from the beach to their palapas. These also get prime spots along the shore.

I suppose you would either hate them or love them depending on if you choose to use the vendor.

Hazard? Not really a hazard, but just kind of annoying that they set up in front of Marriott’s “1st row”Palapas. But there are plenty of guests willing to shell out the $40daily fee for the umbrella and as many chaise lounges as they need.

What annoyed us was that these seats didn’t require the chair tags and folks with these front row umbrellas and seats also had front row chairs at the pool that they weren’t using. Once every couple of hours the grandpa would come back and make an appearance at the pool, so the security folks wouldn’t take their tags off the chairs.

What are you going to do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
Jont never new he could float like that. He was going faster than he'd ever gone before, and yet, it all seemed to be happening in slow motion. He was seeing three and four moves ahead, weaving in and out of vacationers like an Olympic skier on a gold medal run. He knew he was challenging the very laws of physics. At the lifeguard, he dived deep. At the stairs, he used the back stroke. He had it. He was there.. and then.. he hit the stretch by the Compass Building. They say no one's ever beaten the stretch by the Compass Building, but gentlemen, I tell you this - he came as close as anyone ever has. And if it hadn't been for that five-float-pile-up by the Marketplace, jont would be at the Sea Worthy pool bar right now instead of standing in that long line hoping to snag a palapa for tomorrow.
You think that was bad, let me tell you about my parking experience. i was circling around the lazy river looking for a parking spot. all of a sudden, there it was. The dream spot right in front of sea worthy pool bar. just before backing in, i turned to my good buddy jme and told him what an excellent parker I am. I i said I wished I could impart my skills to him but that I couldnt. It's a natural gift understanding angles and geometry. just a I started backing in, an obnoxious Iguana started to pull in head first, leaving us both halfway in the spot. I said what are you doing, you can"t pull in head first! he just stared at me and stuck out his tongue at me. Well this lasted several hours with both of us hissing at each other. needless to say, I missed happy hour and went back to my villa, The iguana, I assume crawled back under his rock.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
You think that was bad, let me tell you about my parking experience. i was circling around the lazy river looking for a parking spot. all of a sudden, there it was. The dream spot right in front of sea worthy pool bar. just before backing in, i turned to my good buddy jme and told him what an excellent parker I am. I i said I wished I could impart my skills to him but that I couldnt. It's a natural gift understanding angles and geometry. just a I started backing in, an obnoxious Iguana started to pull in head first, leaving us both halfway in the spot. I said what are you doing, you can"t pull in head first! he just stared at me and stuck out his tongue at me. Well this lasted several hours with both of us hissing at each other. needless to say, I missed happy hour and went back to my villa, The iguana, I assume crawled back under his rock.
I hear you also had a run in with an old guy named Izzy Mandelbaum in the weight room.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
I was wearing a Seinfeld tee shirt and he came up to me and said " you think you're a better Seinfeld fan than me?"

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
I hear you also had a run in with an old guy named Izzy Mandelbaum in the weight room.
Jimmy was also there. Jimmy was new to the surf club. Jimmy was wearing some funny shoes.Jimmy slipped on the wet floor, Jimmy's vacation was ruined! Jimmy didn't have travel insurance.Jimmy gonna get revenge! watch out for Jimmy!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Jimmy was also there. Jimmy was new to the surf club. Jimmy was wearing some funny shoes.Jimmy slipped on the wet floor, Jimmy's vacation was ruined! Jimmy didn't have travel insurance.Jimmy gonna get revenge! watch out for Jimmy!
Makes me want to listen to my Mel Torme 8 track.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
Makes me want to listen to my Mel Torme 8 track.

I just remembered I need to visit Dr Wheatley. He has a new policy, Tuggers only. You should see some of the timeshare magazines he has in his waiting room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
I just remembered I need to visit Dr Wheatley. He has a new policy, Tuggers only. You should see some of the timeshare magazines he has in his waiting room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear he's a re-gifter.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
So smart to be going back AFTER all the Northeast Schools are back in session :hi:!
Enjoy

and we just love this restaurant, give it a try!

Quinta Del Carmen http://www.quintadelcarmen.com/main/

Last edited:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Sorry- just saw your post. Reserving a palapa is the only hassle of the trip. Half are free and half can be reserved. The free ones are given out at 4PM the day before and 7AM the day of (a quarter each time). Depending on the crowd, you can easily get one up front by showing up at 3 and waiting, for example, or one further back a few minutes before 4, or a crazy week people can spend a good part of their afternoon there. While we were there a few weeks ago someone lined up at the Ocean Club shortly after midnight; he was nuts. Hopefully when you go you won't have a neurotic crowd. I rather enjoy the afternoon line- always a chatty bunch :)
The other half are reserved- $15 for the first two rows and $10 for 3 and back. You can reserve two days at time and then need to skip a day. I usually find that most of the closer ones are gone for several days after arrival, so what I usually do is the morning after I arrive go down early for the 7AM ones and then wait till 8 (the reserved ones can be reserved from 8-3, starting the day after check-in), and reserve ones for my last two full days. I can always get good ones towards the end of the week, and it's nice not to have to be bothered getting ones at the end of the week.

The beaches are public, so owners/guests can ask the beach guys to put Marriott chaises under umbrellas that are rented up front, but those chairs should and usually are tagged. The tags were started to prevent chair hogs from reserving lounges by both the pool and the beach. There's always a free chaise around the pool for your party to dump towels,etc. on when using the pool. Occasionally there are groups of people who cause a log jam, but I've bee there many times and it is an unusual occurrence. Most people are considerate. We just came back a few weeks ago and never had an issue.

btw- they now have the key bracelets, which are so convenient, not only for villa entry but for use of the elevators and for access to the new beachside bathrooms.

Have a great trip!!

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/