• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At the risk of being petty...a little reciprocity would’ve been nice

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Every time I think I would like to have friends or relatives up with us at our timeshares I read something like this and remember it really would not be a good idea. If they want to visit- let them get their own place through a rental. Maybe have one dinner out with them and do our own thing. Even just going away with others becomes a hassle due to this kind of stuff- the expense of it, having to do multiple activities with everyone else maybe you don't want to do, being on their schedule, who wants to eat what and when, having to worry about what you are wearing in your unit- like if you want to be in your pj's or whatever, feeling like you have to entertain people constantly, ugh- no thanks. I'm on vacation.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I hope the DVD was 'obviously' from a thrift store and a single popcorn, not a whole box. :clap:

Alas, it wasn’t used. And it was a package of popcorn, not a whole box. On the card, I wrote, “Date night! Who doesn’t love popcorn and a movie?” Snarky? Probably just a tad. But we’re still friends, even if they figured out it was me. :)

Dave

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Every time I think I would like to have friends or relatives up with us at our timeshares I read something like this and remember it really would not be a good idea. If they want to visit- let them get their own place through a rental. Maybe have one dinner out with them and do our own thing. Even just going away with others becomes a hassle due to this kind of stuff- the expense of it, having to do multiple activities with everyone else maybe you don't want to do, being on their schedule, who wants to eat what and when, having to worry about what you are wearing in your unit- like if you want to be in your pj's or whatever, feeling like you have to entertain people constantly, ugh- no thanks. I'm on vacation.

When we travel with people, it seems like there is a certain amount of himming and hawing as no one wants to make a decision about what to do and where to eat for fear of seeming pushy. I can stand about ten minutes of that, then I’m sorry but I’m stepping up to make the decision! Then Cliff apologizes for me, they him and haw some more, then the fallback position becomes my suggestion anyway!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is an interesting dynamic. Recently we went on a 2-week vacation and we invited 2 couples to join us with each staying for one week. The first week was stress-free and we knew it would because we had vacationed together in the past. Both were easy going and just "normal" people like us. The second week was with a couple whom we had not gone on trips together in the past. It was not fun. Both of them would do things at their own time. Morning did not start until 9am for one and noon for the other. Then after lunch they would both need a 2 to 3 hour nap EVERYDAY! We felt so tied down by their schedule and it was exhausting for us as they wanted to do things with us. We are morning risers and would happily get up at 5:30am or 6am to head out for a round of golf after breakfast in the room. We were flexible, so let's start golf at 9am. At 8am when we were all supposed to head out out, our friend had not eaten and was barely awake. After we got there, he went to get food at the little cafe by the practice range and he was not there at the tee box to start. We had to drive our cart to look for him.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
We are in Santa Fe. Five days before we left home for the Sedona leg of our trip, Cliff’s sister called to say they were flying from Dallas to San Jose to buy a second hand Mercedes sports car. Although at one point my brother-in-law indicated he would never set foot in the sinful state of California, they were proposing a drive down to Los Angeles to see us.
I'm sorry, but I won't disparage ANY state. I can always find something to love about a state and find good people. I learned that when I traveled to New Jersey on business. I fell in love with central Jersey.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I'm sorry, but I won't disparage ANY state. I can always find something to love about a state and find good people. I learned that when I traveled to New Jersey on business. I fell in love with central Jersey.
I think it was the BIL who felt that way, not Faith.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When we travel with people, it seems like there is a certain amount of himming and hawing as no one wants to make a decision about what to do and where to eat for fear of seeming pushy. I can stand about ten minutes of that, then I’m sorry but I’m stepping up to make the decision! Then Cliff apologizes for me, they him and haw some more, then the fallback position becomes my suggestion anyway!
Lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY! :D

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
IWe are morning risers and would happily get up at 5:30am or 6am to head out for a round of golf after breakfast in the room. We were flexible, so let's start golf at 9am. At 8am when we were all supposed to head out out, our friend had not eaten and was barely awake. After we got there, he went to get food at the little cafe by the practice range and he was not there at the tee box to start. We had to drive our cart to look for him.
My DW and are similarly mismatched. I'm the early riser and she is the night-owl. On vacation, I wake her up early with breakfast. ;)

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay

Several years ago, after my family made fun of me on the last vacation for planning something everyday, I decided not to plan anything for the next trip. By the 3rd day they were begging me to make some suggestions for the remaining days of the trip! None of them had even looked to see what might be fun for a group!

Now we just tell them it is their vacation and we do not have to do everything together, but I would like for us all to go to dinner Thursday night. Mike & I now prefer to hang out on the beach or on the deck when we have an ocean view unit and read. We have our fridge stocked with food and beverages and can just relax. they are welcome to pop in anytime!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We rarely travel with other people any more. Even in the past it was usually always family. I don't ever remember any problems with expenses, or if we were providing the timeshare unit with people not chipping in for food, taking us out for meals, sometimes paying for the car rental. If we'd had an incident where we felt taken advantage of we probably wouldn't have traveled with those folks again.

@clifffaith curious where all you took your guests to eat.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My DW and are similarly mismatched. I'm the early riser and she is the night-owl. On vacation, I wake her up early with breakfast. ;)
I am an night owl if my husband allows me. He makes me go to sleep early which I do appreciate. When I sleep late I get a hangover the following day.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am an night owl if my husband allows me. He makes me go to sleep early which I do appreciate. When I sleep late I get a hangover the following day.
I learn THAT lesson 40 years ago ... no, no, noo!

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
We are in Santa Fe. Five days before we left home for the Sedona leg of our trip, Cliff’s sister called to say they were flying from Dallas to San Jose to buy a second hand Mercedes sports car. Although at one point my brother-in-law indicated he would never set foot in the sinful state of California, they were proposing a drive down to Los Angeles to see us. We said we wouldn’t be home, but they have to drive by Albuquerque anyway to get home, come see us in Santa Fe. And let us see if we can get you a room for two nights at our Diamond timeshare. That worked out just fine.

These folks have been given accommodations in Branson (without us), and a previous Santa Fe trip as part of a larger family gathering where we were just happy to arrange to get people together and did not expect anything in return. But Jimminy Christmas, this is the LAST time we are offering free lodging to them! We have never once had friends not buy a meal and/or chip in or buy groceries or gas. Shaking our heads and sighing.

I agree with you completely, on your BIL & SIL's lack of reciprocity. Unfortunately with some people you have to be very specific when it comes to costs, otherwise it falls into that deep gulf of "Oh I just assumed you would...".
So odd that your BIL asked about your yearly maintenance fee costs, so he knows it costs you to get them lodging. After awhile, you can't attribute poor guest manners to cluelessness!

Some of my friends who do not own timeshares, don't understand there's a yearly MF cost to them. And even when I've explained it to them, I still get the unspoken feeling that I should be treating them or pick up a lot more of the overall costs for groceries and cooking etc. I've always been up front when I invite my friends to travel with us, e.g. to Hawaii, on what their share for lodging will be if they choose to come. We pretty much split costs and chores on our first trip with a friend couple. But on the 2nd trip with same couple, DH & I picked up a lot more than our fair share of costs, cooking and cleaning. My friend helped after the first couple of days, her husband did very little, not even clean-up after meals.

I bought and cut a pineapple when we first got to our Hawaii unit. We all enjoyed it a lot. My friend's husband bought another pineapple and told me about it. I offered to show him how to cut it. He replied he remembered from our last Hawaii trip :rolleyes:. The pineapple sat on the kitchen counter until the day before we had to check-out. I'm pretty sure the husband assumed I would cut it up or him, and this may sound petty, but I wasn't going to cut up his pineapple :pas I ended up planning and cooking most of the meals in unit. So on our last full day, I asked them both what they were going to do with the pineapple. They looked at each other, and my friend, by default, semi-brute force cut it up.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We rarely travel with other people any more. Even in the past it was usually always family. I don't ever remember any problems with expenses, or if we were providing the timeshare unit with people not chipping in for food, taking us out for meals, sometimes paying for the car rental. If we'd had an incident where we felt taken advantage of we probably wouldn't have traveled with those folks again.

@clifffaith curious where all you took your guests to eat.

Tomasita’s and The Ranch House for dinner, Weck’s for breakfast.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, some reciprocity would be nice and even expected. But since Cliff's sis and husband chose to take advantage of your hospitality and generosity, you have 2 choices.

>Send them an invoice for what you feel is their responsibility, or
>Get over it, come to grips that you can choose friends, but not relatives, and never invite them to join you again.

Or THREE
Vent your frustration on TUG where you’ll find some sympathetic ears AND serve as a warning to others.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
My sister did the same thing. They came to stay at our house in the Sierra foothills and never once offered to pay for anything. Then my family complained my sister, her husband and the kids were getting bored so they took off to San Francisco for a couple of nights. Then when they were done with SF, my family said we all had to go to our house in the south Bay Area for the last night so my sister would not have so far to drive to the airport. Even though this was not in the plan and she could have easily returned to our house in the Sierra foothills where we were supposed to spend the entire week. It would have added an extra hour to their drive to the airport in the morning. My father said I was being selfish and we had to accommodate my sister's needs. So I doubt I will invite them to visit again since when I go to Florida to visit my family, I need to do everything they want. And when they come to California to visit me, I have to do everything they want. They say I am selfish when I want to do what I want. Paying for stuff is the least of my concerns but my father does chip in so I cannot complain about him.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

I lived in central Jersey for a couple of years. It is very beautiful. I was in my 20s at the time, so it was too family oriented for me back then. But I loved all the equestrian events. I used to take lessons and ride at a public equestrian center that had access to a huge state park. The land is amazing in that part of the state.

I live in California now. I do not mind if people want to disparage California. In general, most people are envious of my lifestyle in California and think I am living the California dream. I have rarely had anyone disparage the state, except those of us living in it. LOL

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We have always invited friends and family and never wanted or expected anything in return. I do hear what you are saying and understand though. :(

This is how we roll too. It is nice to get a little reciprocity but I never expect it.

Bill

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo

One friend that Patti had traveled with before we were together is a wonderful travel companion. She has now been a widow for about 30 years. On our first trip together (to Cabo) I did have to lay down one rule with her. When we asked what she wanted to do she would not mention anything and just said whatever you guys want. I finally said: "we have been to Cabo before and we will be to Cabo again so if there is something you would like to do just tell us. It is no problem." That revolved a lot. If we travel with another couple we always insist they get their own rental car. That way everyone can all do what they want. Sometimes we do things in 1 car. Sometimes we go to the same place but in 2 cars so people can leave when they want. Sometimes we are doing different things, which is fine.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So on our last full day, I asked them both what they were going to do with the pineapple. They looked at each other, and my friend, by default, semi-brute force cut it up.
You made my day already. That is how I was hoping the story would end.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
We haven't done many family or group vacations yet but last summer in the Ozarks for four days, the biggest complaint was from my mom, who had paid for the accomodations and the boat, found out I paid for the groceries.
My one big trip to Vietnam for 10 days I had the best wingman. I had done all the flight and accommodations booking and researched a bunch of stuff I wanted to do. Every time I was like, let's do this... He would just go along with it. And he (and his wife later confirmed) that when the two of them vacation, neither of them is good at making decisions. So he was truly thrilled to have someone else at least make suggestions.
Man, reminiscing now. Just two married guys, palling around Vietnam for ten days. It was like being in college again, but with money!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).

We have learned to lay out our proposed itinerary. Those traveling with us may come along or do their own thing. In some cases like staying in a rural area and sharing a rental car, I ask the other person, prior to traveling, to research and come up with an itinerary for a portion of the trip, I do the other portion and then together we put it all together. Often we start out using the itinerary and then end up winging it somewhere along the way.