• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At WKORV NOW. ANYONE NEED ANY INFO

rog2867

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am currently at WKORV. Going to see nanea Tuesday. Wondering if anyone has any questions. Not a lot of people here nice room, ocean view

WatsonC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages, Wyndham Grand Desert
I am currently at WKORV. Going to see nanea Tuesday. Wondering if anyone has any questions. Not a lot of people here nice room, ocean view
Is there a "recycle" box where guests can get beach/pool things and leave them for the future guests?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Do they have intro to SCUBA at the pool? WSJ has this, I think Atlantis might too. Bringing friends along to WKORN they might like to see what SCUBA is like. Are SUP rentals available at the resort? (Price$?) I can't find a price online. I'm spoiled, SUP & kayaks are complimentary at WSJ.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Dawnwrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN, WSJ-CV
Do they have intro to SCUBA at the pool? WSJ has this, I think Atlantis might too. Bringing friends along to WKORN they might like to see what SCUBA is like. Are SUP rentals available at the resort? (Price$?) I can't find a price online. I'm spoiled, SUP & kayaks are complimentary at WSJ.

On their website I found SUP rent for $55/1st hour, $20/additional hour. We are at north and I haven’t seen them, so I am assuming you rent them at south.
I saw SUP for rent at Kapalua Bay as well, although I didn’t check the price. It is a beautiful bay with a free parking lot if you go early enough. Right next to Merriman’s.

Haven’t seen any SCUBA intro at north. Our sons did a SNUBA intro at north a couple of years ago. You might try calling the concierge.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Yes. I got certified by the company which runs the operation at the Westin (and the Sheraton Hotel). I believe it was $89 for an intro dive, less if certified, etc. The beach dives are nice and easy. If you’re interested in more fish and/or different scenery go to the Sheraton Hotel and do a beach dive there. That’s what I did and then got convinced to get certified since they counted the first two dives toward it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
FWIW...If your friends are serious about diving it would be best to go through a formal diving program such as Padi or NAUI certification (we have been NAUI certified divers for years). Diving is dangerous and more practice for unexpected situations makes it safer.

Last edited:

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
No, I just thought if it was available they could try it out, see what the equipment feels like. They have free pool sessions at WSJ. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply they were going to do an actual dive from the resort course. We are PADI certified and have been on a dive in the Bahamas where they brought someone out that took a resort pool course. Was not a good experience! Only in about 20 feet of water but she was kicking the bottom, stirring up the sand, I'm pretty sure she probably hit the coral considering what I did see.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
No, I just thought if it was available they could try it out, see what the equipment feels like. They have free pool sessions at WSJ. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply they were going to do an actual dive from the resort course. We are PADI certified and have been on a dive in the Bahamas where they brought someone out that took a resort pool course. Was not a good experience! Only in about 20 feet of water but she was kicking the bottom, stirring up the sand, I'm pretty sure she probably hit the coral considering what I did see.

Just ask when you get there. Not sure what they offer at no charge, but I was quite pleased with them when I went out.

As for first time scuba...well, you have to start somewhere. Beach dive at WKORV was quite easy for me the first time and I’ve taken others on their first dive there before and they did well, too. I wouldn’t be too concerned about that.

And of course, this company offers PADI certification.

This is the company at WKORV: http://www.5starscuba.com

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Got it. The pool is a great place to start. I would love for my college kids to experience this in the pool since they are not certified yet. Will require them to get certified to open water dive.

Sounds like you have seen this yourself. I have experienced several equipment failures (one including emergency buddy breathing at 60 feet due to a faulty air gauge) which could have been fatal if I panicked and did not have the training.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Got it. The pool is a great place to start. I would love for my college kids to experience this in the pool since they are not certified yet. Will require them to get certified to open water dive.

Sounds like you have seen this yourself. I have experienced several equipment failures (one including emergency buddy breathing at 60 feet due to a faulty air gauge) which could have been fatal if I panicked and did not have the training.

Nasty. But, they don’t let anyone go out without training. I’m not sure what you’re advocating...no intro dives? only go out after certification or during certification process? Failures happen but...I don’t know anyone who goes to 60 feet for their first dive or two, either... seems like an extreme and uncommon situation.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Yes. I got certified by the company which runs the operation at the Westin (and the Sheraton Hotel). I believe it was $89 for an intro dive, less if certified, etc. The beach dives are nice and easy. If you’re interested in more fish and/or different scenery go to the Sheraton Hotel and do a beach dive there. That’s what I did and then got convinced to get certified since they counted the first two dives toward it.

Thanx!! I'm going to inquire about the beach dive at the Sheraton. I've read black rock is a great place to snorkel, so diving should be good too.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Nasty. But, they don’t let anyone go out without training. I’m not sure what you’re advocating...no intro dives? only go out after certification or during certification process? Failures happen but...I don’t know anyone who goes to 60 feet for their first dive or two, either... seems like an extreme and uncommon situation.

It is good it is being supervised by a Padi certified instructor and at a shallow beach. It would be great if our kids could get certified when we visit in 2019 at WKORVN. Do you know how best to reach the dive program to learn more?

Perhaps they supervise this better because we are in the States. Similar to @SandyPGravel's comments we've seen pool divers (and first time never divers) in international locales such as Mexico in open water with no training on dive boats.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Perhaps they supervise this better because we are in the States. It is good it is being supervised by a Padi certified instructor and at a shallow beach.

Similar to @SandyPGravel's comments we've seen pool divers (and first time never divers) in International locales such as Mexico in open water with no training on dive boats.

Ah, international. Yet they are also PADI certified instructors? I think you can do a boat dive as a first dive in the States, but not all go to 60 feet... still, when I started I was not interested at all in a boat dive, so the beach dive was perfect.

I was recently in Australia and the boat had numerous first time divers (I didn’t dive on that trip, and from what I heard the snorkeling was as good as the diving). They didn’t go more than 45 feet, just like a beach dive, so it depends on where you go...and the instructors...and other factors...obviously...

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The challenge even at 45 feet is that you don't know how someone will react until a crisis occurs. Just like a drowning victim, a panicked diver who cannot cope with a crisis could pull you down as well.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The challenge even at 45 feet is that you don't know how someone will react until a crisis occurs. Just like a drowning victim, a panicked diver who cannot cope with a crisis could pull you down as well.

I really don’t know what to say to that. As a certified diver, how would you suggest people learn? I think you’re being overly dramatic about this issue, and while I believe there are times when this can be quite bad, diving is one of those sports that requires common sense from all involved, including anyone willing to learn.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Ken555 You must have missed my earlier comment that I thought this appears to be a okay way to learn.

"It is good it is being supervised by a Padi certified instructor and at a shallow beach..." I then asked to find out how to contact and learn more about this program for my kids.

I was commenting on poor dive practices we have seen as an example. FWIW...if trying to determine the safety of the WKORV program for my kids is overly dramatic, (and I can help others to ask good questions to keep their loved ones safe), then bring it on. The purpose of this thread is to learn more about WKORV programs. Go have a beer and watch the Olympics because this line of questioning is not for you.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
@Ken555 You must have missed my earlier comment that I thought this appears to be a okay way to learn.

"It is good it is being supervised by a Padi certified instructor and at a shallow beach..." I then asked to find out how to contact and learn more about this program for my kids.

I was commenting on poor dive practices we have seen as an example. FWIW...if trying to determine the safety of the WKORV program for my kids is overly dramatic, (and I can help others to ask good questions to keep their loved ones safe), then bring it on. The purpose of this thread is to learn more about WKORV programs. Go have a beer and watch the Olympics because this line of questioning is not for you.

Back up. Why escalate this conversation? I don't see the point, especially since I'm trying to help.

I went with a family member on his first dive at this resort with this company. No problems, no worries, he had a great time, etc. I speak from direct experience, which is, after all, what I thought you were seeking.

Perhaps you should have a beer now? :)

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I went with a family member on his first dive at this resort with this company. No problems, no worries, he had a great time, etc. I speak from direct experience, which is, after all, what I thought you were seeking.

Thanks for clarifying. This statement is extremely helpful and was missing/glossed over in your initial comments.

I was reacting to your personal attack, but will let it go. Now we both should go get a beer...or better yet a Mai Tai!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Thanks for clarifying. This statement is extremely helpful and was missing/glossed over in your initial comments.

I was reacting to your personal attack, but will let it go. Now we both should go get a beer...or better yet a Mai Tai!

Of course. Sorry, I don't see my earlier comment as "a personal attack".

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
They have a free SNUBA experience in the pool at the North side, I think at 10 or 11 am. I believe they also sell SNUBA "dives" on the reef in front of the resort. Check with a concierge or at the pool kiosk for reservations/prices.
If you want to SUP, I recommend renting from the beach concession next to the Castaways restaurant. They are much cheaper that at WKORN, and the water is usually a little calmer there as well.
Greg

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter took her initial training back home and then did the certification open water dives in Maui, at Ulua beach in Wailea. We found an instructor that was willing to do this. I know he has since moved to Vietnam to teach SCUBA there, but other outfits may be willing to work with you on certification. It was an experience diving with a white tip reef shark eyeing us!

My daughter's husband did the same thing a few years later. He did all the book work at home and then finished up in front of WKORV. Much nicer than the lake water at home, and didn't take up a big portion of the vacation time on Maui.

Diving in front of the resort is not much more difficult than diving in the pool. I don't think we went down more than 30 feet.

My avatar is from the certification dive with my son-in-law somewhere in front of WKORV.

Last edited:

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
What other dive sites on Maui do you experienced divers recommend? We are both certified but we don’t dive on Maui. We find the snorkeling good but haven’t really heard of any great diving. We usually dive the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rog2867

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a "recycle" box where guests can get beach/pool things and leave them for the future guests?

There is only for pool things. Floats and things like that. It’s at the pirate ship

rog2867

TUG Member
Reaction score

They do have scuba. I’ll check for pricing. I see it everyday