• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Attaching MR Numbers to II/Marriott Confirmations [2013/Ongoing]

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was definitely just luck. I too am a plat elite and they couldn't do it. Well, I stuck to it and emailed internet at least three other times and one kind person finally agreed to do it for me. Yay!

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
The one route I have so far had 100% success rate with, even for 2015 bookings, is the Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite phone line.
Whether this was just luck, whether it will continue or not... we shall see.

Just today, after calling MVCI, who connected me to the Marriott II desk, who wanted to re-connected me to MVCI, I hung up and called the Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite phone line to add my MR number to an upcoming II reservation. At first the customer service agent didn't think she could do it. I nicely said let's try, and I gave her the reservation number. She found my reservation on her system and "tried" to input the number. She was genuinely amazed that it was successful. It then appeared instantly with all my other Marriott reservations.

Last edited:

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
Thanks so much for the updated information. I sent an email at 12:30 AM to the email suggested. I received a reply at 2:50 AM with the reservation added to my rewards account. What excellent service, even during the middle of the night!

Update: Just send an email to, internet.customer.care@marriott.com, as was suggested. It worked for me even during the middle of the night.

Last edited:

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
II exchange of a Non Marriott to a Marriott or an AC to a Marriott
The key is finding the Marriott reservation on the II confirmation and not using the II confirmation number.

Over the years I have found the following

- MVCI customer service will never add the MR number
- If you call Marriott reservations, when they try and add the MR, it won't let them right off the bat. This can be overwritten. If you are a platinum member they do it 90% of the time. If not it is hit and miss.
- When you check in they will always add it no matter what.

I am not a lifetime platinum number but have been one for the last 5 years.
When I rent my unit and the renter enters his MR number (as he/she should). They get credit. Most times the renter doesn't do this but on occasions when they do, If you call up Marriott will make a manual adjustment as long as your name stayed on the reservation and the renter was added to it. They do not take the credit away from the renter.

Other then making a reservation using points or Marriott bonus weeks, they give night credit for about everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question about elite nights on exchanges

this is the first time this has happened to us. In April, we had an exchange from Marriott to marriott and received the 7 elite nights. Last November, we had an accomodation exchange, and received the 7 elinte nights. In both cases, we called ahead and got our marriott number into the system. My husband just called to add our number for an accomodation exchange that will take place in one week, and the marriott platnium person said no way can I add your number nor will you get the elite nights unless it's at your home property? Know I read about this in the past, but as of a few months ago, it was not an issue. Has this changed?

Last edited by a moderator:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
this is the first time this has happened to us. In April, we had an exchange from Marriott to marriott and received the 7 elite nights. Last November, we had an accomodation exchange, and received the 7 elinte nights. In both cases, we called ahead and got our marriott number into the system. My husband just called to add our number for an accomodation exchange that will take place in one week, and the marriott platnium person said no way can I add your number nor will you get the elite nights unless it's at your home property? Know I read about this in the past, but as of a few months ago, it was not an issue. Has this changed?
I have seen nothing indicating any change and very much hope there is none relating to this.
I would suggest calling again and trying a different agent, perhaps you caught the first one on a bad day?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

(I merged your post into this ongoing thread.)

Nothing has changed as far as II Exchanges and Getaways being eligible for Elite Night credits, but there's ongoing inconsistency with being able to attach Marriott Rewards Numbers in advance of those stays. You might find it helpful to take any of the suggestions in this thread but as you'll see, some of us have given up trying. Instead we simply wait for the pre-arrival email or check-in.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
I believe everyone's experience on this thread. However, mine has always been seamless-maybe just luck??? I am calling MR Plat line. They attach my MR number within a minute to every II exchange or getaway.

The only times of difficulty is when I call too soon on an exchange. The week is still in the original II member's name. Call a week later and I am set.

To me, its a training issue at Marriott.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
To me, its a training issue at Marriott.

The issue might be though that those having their numbers added are on the wrong end of the training issue. I seems that the procedure may be to not add the MR number to an II exchange. Those reps doing to might not be following the procedure. So if they fix the training issue, perhaps no one will be able to get their MR number added in advance.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
The issue might be though that those having their numbers added are on the wrong end of the training issue. I seems that the procedure may be to not add the MR number to an II exchange. Those reps doing to might not be following the procedure. So if they fix the training issue, perhaps no one will be able to get their MR number added in advance.

I agree, it's not supposed to be done by any reps and the reason is that the system allows 1) contact/member info sometimes being released to other members and 2) Elite Night credits sometimes being given to an MR member who hasn't actually earned them. Those are gaping holes!

It doesn't explain why they don't just fix the system to prevent these holes, but it makes it easy to understand why they don't want the reps to do it no matter how forcefully they're asked.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
...Elite Night credits sometimes being given to an MR member who hasn't actually earned them....

This. I had already added our MR number to a reservation for last fall then did a late eplus exchange into a different property. I dutifully called Marriott and asked them to delete our number from the first exchange and add it to the second (I just like to be able to see the reservations on the Marriott site.) They added our number to the second reservation but didn't delete it from the first.

Then I received an email about room preference from the first resort. I called the front desk and told them that we weren't coming and asked them to remove our number. They assured me that they would.

Then we received night credits for both resorts - for the same dates.

I called Marriott after that and told them that we shouldn't have received the nights from resort #1. The rep was absolutely incredulous that I was calling to give the nights credit back. He was cracking up on the phone. :) He didn't remove the credit for the nights. So we got double credit. It didn't make any difference to us - we're already gold, so I let it drop at that point. But now I understand why they won't add those numbers until check in.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This. I had already added our MR number to a reservation for last fall then did a late eplus exchange into a different property. I dutifully called Marriott and asked them to delete our number from the first exchange and add it to the second (I just like to be able to see the reservations on the Marriott site.) They added our number to the second reservation but didn't delete it from the first.

Then I received an email about room preference from the first resort. I called the front desk and told them that we weren't coming and asked them to remove our number. They assured me that they would.

Then we received night credits for both resorts - for the same dates.

I called Marriott after that and told them that we shouldn't have received the nights from resort #1. The rep was absolutely incredulous that I was calling to give the nights credit back. He was cracking up on the phone. :) He didn't remove the credit for the nights. So we got double credit. It didn't make any difference to us - we're already gold, so I let it drop at that point. But now I understand why they won't add those numbers until check in.

I don't think they can remove a MR number from a reservation. They can edit it at checking and put in a new number. They might be able to remove it at checkin. The phone reps can't remove or edit the number once one is in there. This is why it is a problem. If the person that got that week you gave back to II wanted to add their MR number to the reservation before checkin, they wouldn't have been able to. Once a number is in there, it can't be changed except at checkin. This in lies some of the reasons they don't want to be adding the number to II exchanges.

This is different from home resort reservations. With a home resort reservation, if you cancel, they cancel the reservation. When someone comes along to book the same inventory, they give them a new reservation number. If you deposit a week in to II, they cancel your reservation and deposit a different confirmation number in II. However, once a week is in II that reservation number follows that weekly interval until checkin. Once a MR number is attached, it can't be changed except at checkin. If you cancel or retrade, that same confirmation number becomes available for someone else to trade in to. The confirmation number doesn't change.

It was likely that the person you talked to at the resort couldn't remove the number unless they were actually checking a guest in to the unit. The person that checked in probably didn't have a MR account, thus it never being removed or changed.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I experienced the opposite side of that, recently.

I did a last minute exchange. That evening, I confirmed that the reservation was in my name (searched for reservation by my name, conf# and check-in date) then called Marriott to get my MR# added. After a brief pause, I was told that there was already someone else's MR# on the reservation, and they couldn't remove or change that. Only the front desk could change that, at check-in. I had no problem getting it added at check-in.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I experienced the opposite side of that, recently.

I did a last minute exchange. That evening, I confirmed that the reservation was in my name (searched for reservation by my name, conf# and check-in date) then called Marriott to get my MR# added. After a brief pause, I was told that there was already someone else's MR# on the reservation, and they couldn't remove or change that. Only the front desk could change that, at check-in. I had no problem getting it added at check-in.

That's the reason I stopped adding my # to the MR account for exchanges. Once a number is attached they cannot change it. Much easier to do it at check-in.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is easy to do at checkin. But, we have a number of stays throughout the year at MVC locations, some at home resorts, some via exchanges. So it is nice to be able to see all our reservations in one place, marriott.com. That is why we want our number attached to our exchanges. Btw, we rarely cancel or retrade our exchanges, so once our number is attached, there are no issues.

Don't know, but maybe it's just a business rule that prohibits the removal of the MR number from an exchange? If so, can't that be changed? If they can confirm your identity and MR account, and that you own the reservation, it seems it would be ok to make the change...especially since it can be done at checkin. This is probably too simplistic, and I'm not aware of the ramifications, but it seems like it's not a big deal to allow the addition or change of the MR number.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Marriott really should cancel II exchnages that are cancelled or retraded. The problem is that II owns the reservation. When someone cancels and someone else rebooks that week, all II does is send Marriott the new guest name information and Marriott updates their system with that information. Since the MR number is not on file with II, they don't send that data and the old number stays.

Even if II sent the MR number, I don't know if it would be able to override the MR number on file at Marriott.com.

We have only one current exchange, to Custom House, where I added my MR number a almost a year ago. It will be the last one that I do. I am not going to worry about chasing my tail to get it added in the future. We only have a couple ongoing reservations at any given time, so being able to see them on Marriott.com doesn't provide a lot of value. I don't travel for business and I keep track of timeshare reservations using other means. I use TripIt to track all of our trips.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just experienced the fastest time ever adding my MR# to a reservation on the phone. It was about 20 seconds. Previously I had always had to give the number to the rep verbally. Adding more than one resulted in repeating the number. This time the guy had my number already based on the number I was calling from and attached it right away. He asked if I was Mr. "saintsfanfl" and stated my MR# and done :)

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I just experienced the fastest time ever adding my MR# to a reservation on the phone. It was about 20 seconds. Previously I had always had to give the number to the rep verbally. Adding more than one resulted in repeating the number. This time the guy had my number already based on the number I was calling from and attached it right away. He asked if I was Mr. "saintsfanfl" and stated my MR# and done :)
With all the complaints about Marriott computer systems, it's pretty amazing that they are tied in with tug and can link up your user name with your reservation! :hysterical:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
With all the complaints about Marriott computer systems, it's pretty amazing that they are tied in with tug and can link up your user name with your reservation! :hysterical:

I thought it looked better in the forum than Mr. Pickle ;)

If TUG ever gets that close to mainstream it would clean up the industry better than any legislation ever could.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Marriott rewards number was attached to my upcoming II trade into Myrtle Beach at the end of this month. I didn't call or do anything to add the rewards number.

Is this new? It is the first time it has been added automatically. Although, I usually call in advance to get it added.

JoeInMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently emailed Marriott to add my MR number to my upcoming reservation at Aruba Ocean Club, they said because II owns the reservation it is not possible to add it until I check in.....

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently emailed Marriott to add my MR number to my upcoming reservation at Aruba Ocean Club, they said because II owns the reservation it is not possible to add it until I check in.....

This is only true if someone else's MR was already attached and then they cancelled or retraded. You should be able to check this online by looking up the reservation. Otherwise call the reservation desk and have them add it.

I have never been told no by the reservation desk, except when another number was already there.