• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Australia Visa

uop1497

Reaction score
I plan to visit Sydney in April nest year. And not sure how to fill the visa form.

Can someone please advise the following:

a) Is it a right link to apply for tourist visa https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAS3/etas

b) Is it too early if I apply for Australia online now.

c) How long for a tourist visa expire . I plan to stay around 10 days to visit Sydney area.

d) The online form has a field " Confirm family name" . I do not know why the form is asked to confirm family name. I married and change my last name to my husband last name over 30 years ago . Not sure which last name I should enter in this field. My last name before marry or my current last name .

e) What is Offshore address means. Do I have to enter my hotel address in Sydney?

I will have more questions later.

Please advise and thank you

Last edited:

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
When we have gone to Australia in the past it seems like the airline assisted with this.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
First question first. Do you travel on a U.S. Passport?

uop1497

Reaction score
@Passepartout ,

Yes, I have an US passport and I get the link to apply visa using google search. Not sure if this is a valid and correct link for it. This is my first time to visit Sydney

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Information that you fill out, including your family name must match exactly as it appears on your passport. It is only good for 12 months or when you apply, so do not apply if your travel is outside the window.

ETA visa is good for short term stay, which means anything under 3 months stay for each entry.

All information is available from the link, in fact that is where I extracted the information from. You just need to drill down on each section.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
That's interesting that you need a visa. Our dd visited New Zealand a little over a month ago. She didn't need a visa to go there.

Well I just checked and it looks like although you do not need a visa to visit New Zealand, you do for Australia.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You apparently do need the electronic visa. Just follow the instructions. Everything you need is on your US passport.

Jim

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It isn't a visa, it is an Electronic Travel Authorization. Kind of like what many people (from visa waiver countries) need to obtain before traveling to the United States. Just a way for them to prescreen entrants.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
When we have gone to Australia in the past it seems like the airline assisted with this.

They helped us with it when we were checking in at the airport, since we didn’t realize we needed to do it. Unfortunately they charge an extra fee for doing it there. Next year we will do it ourselves online and save the fees.

Mike

uop1497

Reaction score
Thank you ALL for your advice

I apply ETA for DH first and it was approved instantly. However, when I submit my ETA application , I get this message ( see below)

Does anyone know how long I must wait to find out whether I will get an approval ETA. Will it takes 12 hrs as website said or sooner . Still not sure why my application needs further review. From this incident, I remember every time I re-enter back to US, I always get a black X cross on the global kiosk print out form and must get it manually clear by an immigration officer. They never tell me what is wrong and why I get a X black mark and I never ask the immigration officer why. Maybe nest time I should ask so that I can find out the real reason behind it. I wonder if it has anything to do with that.

Is there any thing I can do for the time being . This is our first trip to visit Australia , but it seems not run smoothly as I expected. If I get reject, will they let me know the reason .

DH think I must apply a visa at Australia Embassy office. have anyone ever done that. If so, can you please share your experience .

Thanks You

==========================================================

"
Your application has been referred to the Australian immigration authorities.

This system performs checks required by the Australian government. In a small number of cases we cannot immediately issue an ETA. Your application is one of these cases.It has been referred to the authorities for further assessment.

Please make an enquiry in 12 HOURS to check whether your application has been successful. To make an enquiry, use the Check an ETA button on this website.

Please do not contact an Australian visa office or embassy until your enquiry indicates that your application has not been successful. At that time, you will be advised to contact an Australian visa office.

Your credit card has been charged by iVisa Services for AUD20.00. If your application is not approved, this fee is not refundable."

Last edited:

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because you have a hold up when re-entering the US I would guess that information sharing is at work between the US and Australian services and your application has been flagged. Since you are cleared quickly when reentering the US there is probably further information sharing that needed to go on.

uop1497

Reaction score
To update:

I receive another email . My ETA was approved. Now I can buy our air ticket to Sydney.

Thank you ALL again!!!!

PDX Matthew

TUG Member
Reaction score
I realize the the OP has her ETA, but thought I would provide a late reply in case anyone else has this question. I was born in Australia, but now live in the USA and am a citizen of both countries.

The only people who are allowed to enter Australia without a visa or Electronic Travel Authorization are Australian Citizens and New Zealand Citizens who don't have criminal records. Everyone else needs to ask permission to visit Australia. If you do not have the appropriate authorization to enter Australia you will be denied boarding at the airport. https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAS3/etas is the correct link. There is a lot of information on that website on how to apply. If you have a criminal record of any kind, even something that happened decades ago, can cause you to be ineligible for an ETA, in which case you'll need to apply for a visa at the Australian consulate. If you get a 12 hour delay on your application it could be because you have the same name as someone who has a criminal conviction or is otherwise inadmissible, or you made a typo or something on your application and an immigration officer needs to correct it. Australian immigration officials are a lot less bureaucratic and officious than US immigration officials (who are the most officious in the world, in my experience, having travelled to more than 30 countries), Canadians are the nicest.

An ETA is valid for 12 months from the date of issue and allows the holder admittance to Australia for tourist/business purposes for up to three months per visit. After three months you have to leave, but can return again later. Business purposes means going to meetings or visiting colleagues, it does not mean making sales, or getting paid to do consulting work - that requires a different visa.

New Zealand has different immigration requirements and allows a lot more countries' citizens in visa free, e.g. many countries with substantial Polynesian populations (think USA/Hawai'i) have easier entry requirements due to the interrelationship with the Maori community. I lived in NZ for a year, the last time I was there I was using a US passport (they have an expedited line for GOES card holders).

uop1497

Reaction score
@PDX Matthew ,

Thank you for more details clarification about ETA.

I would like to know if I need to print out any document to take with me on the trip (to show the airlines personnel at check in counter) . If someone knows, please share.

PDX Matthew

TUG Member
Reaction score
@PDX Matthew ,

Thank you for more details clarification about ETA.

I would like to know if I need to print out any document to take with me on the trip (to show the airlines personnel at check in counter) . If someone knows, please share.

You don’t need to as the ETA is tied to your passport number, however, if you have an e-mail confirmation, it wouldn’t hurt to have a printout of it, along with the printed confirmation of your e-ticket.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
If you have a criminal record of any kind, even something that happened decades ago, can cause you to be ineligible for an ETA, in which case you'll need to apply for a visa at the Australian consulate.
This reminds me of a funny story.

Back in 1998 I was on a short-term (4 month) assignment in Singapore, and I shared an office space with a guy from England. Background: it is not uncommon for English citizens to look down on Australia, due to it's history as a penal colony. Well, this guy tells me about his experience going through passport control while entering Australia a few years prior. The officer was going on and on, asking him a bunch of questions, and my office mate was getting frustrated with the grilling. Finally, the officer asked if he had a criminal record, and my office mate replied, "Is that still required for entry?" LOL! The office didn't see the humor... :D

Kurt

PDX Matthew

TUG Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of a funny story.

Back in 1998 I was on a short-term (4 month) assignment in Singapore, and I shared an office space with a guy from England. Background: it is not uncommon for English citizens to look down on Australia, due to it's history as a penal colony. Well, this guy tells me about his experience going through passport control while entering Australia a few years prior. The officer was going on and on, asking him a bunch of questions, and my office mate was getting frustrated with the grilling. Finally, the officer asked if he had a criminal record, and my office mate replied, "Is that still required for entry?" LOL! The office didn't see the humor... :D

Kurt
Yeah, this sort of very tired joke goes down like a gallon of cold vomit with Australians.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
<snip> . . . US immigration officials (who are the most officious in the world, in my experience, having travelled to more than 30 countries) . . . <snip>

Ever been to Pakistan?