• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Availability at WM

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score
While I am perfectly capable of reserving out at near max advance (say a week later as I don’t plan on staying up to midnight the first day of availability or reservations starting on, say Thursdays to beat the heard), I’ve read a number of threads on here claiming WM availability a problem, particularly at Hawaii and more desirable coastal US?

This has me holding off and wondering just how hard it is to get what you want and where, particularly in the summer.

Can the WM veterans tell me which resorts would have to be booked in the first month of the reservation windowin summer months?

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have specific resorts you want, let me know.

I checked August 2019 for 1 bedrooms. That has been available to book for 1 month.

Coastal Oregon is completely gone, inland Oregon available. Mariners village in WA us gone, otherwise WA has decent availability.

Park city, west Yellowstone, and Hawaii are all gone. Otherwise good availability in CO/UT.

I didn't check CA, but coastal CA will be booked at 13 months exactly, especially in the summer.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, online booking opens at 6AM Pacific, so no staying up to midnight required. Might need to get up early depending on your timezone.

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have specific resorts you want, let me know.

I checked August 2019 for 1 bedrooms. That has been available to book for 1 month.

Coastal Oregon is completely gone, inland Oregon available. Mariners village in WA us gone, otherwise WA has decent availability.

Park city, west Yellowstone, and Hawaii are all gone. Otherwise good availability in CO/UT.

I didn't check CA, but coastal CA will be booked at 13 months exactly, especially in the summer.
This seems a bit depressing.

So what I’m hearing is if I want coastal Oregon, Hawaii, Yellowstone or Coastal California I have to book day one pretty much. God forbid if I wanted to make substitutions in a 4-8 week itinerary.

Where there is overlap (Hawaii, Colorado, Etc) I can use Wyndham, but I was looking at WM for coverage where I can’t, and it seems not to be great news. Washington and a lot of inland Western states are on my list, but so is coastal Oregon and Yellowstone. Now I’m thinking a scale back of my buy and work around with half WM and half “other” options.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

So what I’m hearing is if I want coastal Oregon, Hawaii, Yellowstone or Coastal California I have to book day one pretty much. God forbid if I wanted to make substitutions in a 4-8 week itinerary.

Where there is overlap (Hawaii, Colorado, Etc) I can use Wyndham, but I was looking at WM for coverage where I can’t, and it seems not to be great news. Washington and a lot of inland Western states are on my list, but so is coastal Oregon and Yellowstone. Now I’m thinking a scale back of my buy and work around with half WM and half “other” options.

I'd say that's accurate. You could substitute out of Oregon/Hawaii/Yellowstone/Coastal California easily, as WM has a flexible cancellation policy, but not substitute back in to those resorts.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts

True.... but mainly for the peak season - holidays, summer, etc. In part the lack of availability is driven by speculative booking - which is easy to do since we have no reservation fees and owners can have up to 3 years of credits to play with. As opposed to Club Wyndham - where the rules are more confining after the recent changes.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
And if I understood data posted in another recent Worldmark thread, reservation cancellation rates average about 40%, meaning if you don't get up at 6am to book, there's still a good chance of eventual success by going on a waitlist.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Consider too, that WorldMark may not own the entire resort you're trying to book. They often have some/few units in a resort owned or managed by other companies. So the availability of units is kind of tentative, depending on the resort. The super-popular resorts book first, and fast. Waiting a week or so to try and book something during prime time is pretty likely to be all gone. The Waitlist may be a good backup plan, but you can't rely on it.

But if your initial idea of trying to book seven or eight weeks in a row at the same resort during prime time is still your thought, you're going to have to work for it. You're competing with a lot of other folks who also want one of those (perhaps limited) number of units, who are not against getting up early to book exactly what they want. Dawdling will equal disappointment.

If that is your best practice plan, I'd advise making a different plan, because I don't think WM will work very well for you. YMMV.

Dave

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Consider too, that WorldMark may not own the entire resort you're trying to book. They often have some/few units in a resort owned or managed by other companies. So the availability of units is kind of tentative, depending on the resort. The super-popular resorts book first, and fast. Waiting a week or so to try and book something during prime time is pretty likely to be all gone. The Waitlist may be a good backup plan, but you can't rely on it.

But if your initial idea of trying to book seven or eight weeks in a row at the same resort during prime time is still your thought, you're going to have to work for it. You're competing with a lot of other folks who also want one of those (perhaps limited) number of units, who are not against getting up early to book exactly what they want. Dawdling will equal disappointment.

If that is your best practice plan, I'd advise making a different plan, because I don't think WM will work very well for you. YMMV.

Dave

I almost hesitate to mention it, but one of the "oddities" of the WM system is that you can extend any existing reservation - even past the 13month booking window. So it is just a case of grabbing that first reservation. Once you have it, you can make it a 7 or 8 week reservation.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I almost hesitate to mention it, but one of the "oddities" of the WM system is that you can extend any existing reservation - even past the 13month booking window. So it is just a case of grabbing that first reservation. Once you have it, you can make it a 7 or 8 week reservation.

I agree, but doesn't it require starting with the first day/week? And therein lies the problem. You can add onto the back end, but not on the front end without combining reservations, correct?

Dave

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree, but doesn't it require starting with the first day/week? And therein lies the problem. You can add onto the back end, but not on the front end without combining reservations, correct?

Dave
Correct.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds to me like he wants 7-8 weeks at various resorts the whole summer. I agree a long stretch at any one resort would be much easier, because you only need to "win" once at 13 months, and then extend out for the rest of the summer.

However, under the current grouped reservation rules that isn't possible with multiple resorts.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It sounds to me like he wants 7-8 weeks at various resorts the whole summer. I agree a long stretch at any one resort would be much easier, because you only need to "win" once at 13 months, and then extend out for the rest of the summer.

However, under the current grouped reservation rules that isn't possible with multiple resorts.

The posting he made in another thread gave me the understanding he wanted to book 7-8 weeks at the same resort, i.e. Whistler, in June and July. He was asking about credits needed to do that. Regardless, it comes back to being able to book that first week at 13 months out, to anchor the reservation in the resort he'd like to see. And that requires being there at that first moment at the 13-month mark in most cases, to ensure he can get the first week to start things off.

Dave

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
The posting he made in another thread gave me the understanding he wanted to book 7-8 weeks at the same resort, i.e. Whistler, in June and July. He was asking about credits needed to do that. Regardless, it comes back to being able to book that first week at 13 months out, to anchor the reservation in the resort he'd like to see. And that requires being there at that first moment at the 13-month mark in most cases, to ensure he can get the first week to start things off.

Dave

Oh, my mistake then. I would say an 8 week reservation is doable, because if you don't get July 1st try again for July 2nd or July 3rd. You would only need to get one and could then extend through the summer.

Making one reservation a year at 6AM doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but YMMV. I don't think I'd leave it to a week after the deadline.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
And if I understood data posted in another recent Worldmark thread, reservation cancellation rates average about 40%, meaning if you don't get up at 6am to book, there's still a good chance of eventual success by going on a waitlist.
I wanted an extra week in Hawaii to add to a Hilton week I am taking Aug next year. Put waitlist in 3 days later got it.

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score

Various resorts is the plan, skipping one to the next every week. But it need not be Sat to Sat or Fri to Fri. I wonder if it would be easier to book a summer of Wed to Wed stays?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Various resorts is the plan, skipping one to the next every week. But it need not be Sat to Sat or Fri to Fri. I wonder if it would be easier to book a summer of Wed to Wed stays?

I’m fairly new to the WM process, but from what I’ve seen, weekends tend to book first. Since you can check in any day, I don’t think it really makes a lot of difference. If the consecutive days aren’t there, you’re kind of stuck.

Dave

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is having an exact week important to you?

One thing you could do is book July 1-14 at the first resort.

Then, start trying for the second resort for July 8th. If you didn't get it, you could then try the 9th, 10th, 11th, etc.

Once you had a check in, you could shorten the first reservation to match.

This improves your odds dramatically, because you get multiple tries. However, those tries should probably still be at 6AM Pacific 13 months out for a number of resorts...

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

For some Uber high demand resorts, the checkin day does not really matter - they tend to book up right at 13 months during July (ie Depoe Bay).

What may work for you is alternating between high-demand resort and one with lesser demand like Running Y, Eagle Crest, Birch Bay, etc. to fill in the gaps. And then using the waitlist to try to build reservations.

That is somewhat what we do when we do our big road trips. Since it takes a day to just get out of Texas, we tend to be gone for 6+ weeks. We usually do not have a problem booking, but are flexible.

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
So what I’m hearing is if I want coastal Oregon, Hawaii, Yellowstone or Coastal California I have to book day one pretty much.
Not just day one, but for the high-demand resorts, you need to be booking within the first few seconds of day one to get your reservation. But as has been pointed out, the waitlist is very effective. In the cases where you strike out on day one, if you immediately put a waitlist request on day one, your chances of getting your request filled are very good if not almost 100%. If you're on the east coast, the reservation system opens up at 9:00 a.m. so there's no waking up early.

Tahiya

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had what seem like remarkable successes with the waitlist--like getting Labor Day weekend in a 2 bedroom penthouse at the Camlin, waitlisting only 3 months out. But, I've also been skunked twice with a waitlist request made 13 months out: the two instances were both summer, once at Depoe Bay, and once at Worldmark Yellowstone.