• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Awful check-in experience at Marbrisa; need advice

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
While I understand your frustration with not getting the specific unit you reserved, there could be extenuating circumstances that made you desired assignment not possible. The room could have had damage that needed to be addressed before occupancy and it was taken off line. Another similar unit could have had damage that needed to be addressed and the occupants had to be moved to the vacant unit that you desired. The resort management was not going to move those occupants again, therefore, they were giving you an upgrade to accommodate you.

While I agree that extenuating circumstances could happen at a resort this explanation wasn’t offered to the OP. The only repeated answer the OP was given was "I am sorry" and “There is a problem with "inventory control" which would only frustrate and aggravate me if I was in his shoes.

This is where I have the most problem with. It appears that the management picked mine to drop for no credible reasons (eg., maybe I have the lowest ownership level, etc.). Otherwise, why so evasive when I asked these questions. I think my questions could be legitimately asked by any owners.

I agree. I’m sending you a PM so we can assist with resolving their inventory control problems.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Wow, this sounds really frustrating! If it were me, I would ask for some form of compensation, such as Honors points, HGVC points or possibly a couple of those gift cards they offer for attending a presentation.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Oscar, I think you should send an email to HGVC and explain the situation. input at hgvc dot com

Clearly management needs to provide guidelines and train front desk staff and this “inventory control” staff. I can’t really blame the front desk, there are so many inventory types at this resort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Oscar923

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree and unless you are an attorney and plan to do all the work yourself, it will be a waste of time and a big waste of your money. Never bring that up unless you are willing to spend $1000s if dollars that you don’t mind saying goodby too. I worked as an account manager for 10 condos one year and I got so tired of people saying I am going to take you to court, or my attorney says you had better pay or we will file a lawsuit. My response was always “go ahead” and not once did that ever happen. It just makes you look bad when you bring that up.

First of all, thank you for all your replies. It just reaffirms that Tuggers are the most knowledgeable folks out there.

I think there are some misunderstandings here. I have not indicated in any of the posts that I am looking to sue HGVC/Marbrisa in hope of getting a boatload of money. If you would read my original post again, this is what I said in verbatim "My wife and I have decided to seek legal counsel to possibly subpoena their internal records to see why they picked our reservation to give away." This is exactly what I intend to do, to file a duces tecum so I can better understand the process involved in handling reservations when there is a problem with bumming reservations from owners. Yes there will be cost involved and I am prepared to accept. Again, both my wife and I felt very strongly about the management practice and lack of accountability. You just do not insult the intelligence of owners. Down the road there could be non-compliance from Marbrisa management to turn over communication records about this specific incident, but I will cross that bridge when I have to. Who says this has to be about money?

alwysonvac, thank you very much for all your advice and your message. I will reply to your PM. Yes I triple-checked and I reserved a 2BR.

Oscar923

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. We are at Marbrisa now with family and we were at the counter the other evening when some people were checking in and said they were not happy with the situation.

I am not sure if Marbrisa is a true HGVC or a hybrid but we had no problem with the staff and front desk and they gladly accommodated us in a room in the Cove area with pool view upon request at the counter even though we originally had been assigned a room in a different part of the resort.

We have been with HGVC for 18 years (own 28,000 HGVC yearly points) and we know that in the HGVC system you can only be guaranteed a type of room and not necessarily location of the room or what floor you want. If you get to know the staff at different resorts over time they will do everything they can to accommodate your request but it may not happen.

It might be a guest who is more use to RCI system. Anyway....I do not think they have a case for any type of suite and were just being unrealistic and unaccepting of the situation IMHO. I am for Team HGVC!!!

Great to hear that you are able to get a unit in your desired location. I love Phase 2 of Marbrisa, and I am glad that you enjoy it too. In all my previous stays at Marbrisa, I have never had this problem. And I agree with you that almost all the staff at different HGVC locations are very friendly and accommodating. This is exactly why the current situation is so frustrating. Mistakes happen and room assignments get messed up, I completely get that. However, when an owner (any owner) has legitimate questions about the reservation process and room assignment, why would any management team act evasive, and not try to listen and try to answer? Once again, I am a very low key person and don't want to look for any kind of troubles. But there is definitely room for the management to improve in this particular situation.
I would like to add that my experience as a HGVC owner has been very positive. Love their resorts and the flexibility of the system. My family has enjoyed many vacations with HGVC.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
In every jurisdiction I know of, lawyers cannot issue subpoenas unless a lawsuit is pending.
Subpoenas are issued as part of a pretrial "discovery" process in preparation for a trial.
If a judge deems a lawsuit frivolous, you could be liable for defendant's legal fees and costs.

Note: This is not to be construed as legal advice, merely the musings of an armchair quarterback.

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
In every jurisdiction I know of, lawyers cannot issue subpoenas unless a lawsuit is pending.
Subpoenas are issued as part of a pretrial "discovery" process in preparation for a trial.
If a judge deems a lawsuit frivolous, you could be liable for defendant's legal fees and costs.

Note: This is not to be construed as legal advice, merely the musings of an armchair quarterback.

I was about to chime in and say the same thing. You can't just subpoena records without a pending action. Only a governemt agency is required to provide Open records to the public under OPRA/FOIL.

Secondly, if you're filing a discrimination suit under the US Civil Rights code, 42 USC 1983) this doesn't apply, but I feel you're seeking damages (the only other kind of legal remedy available to you), you have to ask yourself, what are your damages? Did the resort accommodate you some other way? Did you get the value you paid for in the end, if not exactly what you requested? While you (rightfully) may be one pissed off consumer, I doubt your (legal definition in a tort case) damages are very much to justify all the expense and time involved looking through their files. I think you're better off complaining via the methods shared on this thread, and also social media if need be. That usually gets companies attention.

Just my semi unsolicited two cents, and not official legal advice.