• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bargain Deals Forum - this bothers me

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
TUG has a Bargain Deals forum, so that Tuggers can re-home their unwanted timeshares, instead of having to pay an upfront fee company, or worse, use a Viking Ship Co., or go into foreclosure.

So frankly, it bothers me when someone posts an offer of a free timeshare, and someone else comes along and posts, "I would never take this week."

I am all for posting honest and transparent information, so if incorrect Info. is posted, feel free to help by providing the correct info.

But IMNSHO, it is wrong to denigrate someone else's free offer, just because it's not your cup of tea.

Look at it this way - if someone is trying to do the right thing, why do you want to undermine their efforts?

:hi:

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I totally agree. Besides, what may be undesirable for some might be valuable to someone else. Some people like specific lower season weeks and not everyone wants to rent from an unknown party.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Sort of like the people that scream, "NEVER BUY A MEXICAN TIMESHARE" every time someone mentions the possibility.

Just because it may not be your cup of tea, and may not fit into your lifestyle; doesn't mean it's not a great deal for someone else!

Seadawg

TUG Member
Reaction score
One mans Trash...

Is another mans treasure...

Everyone has their own unique circumstances particular to them and to try and pass judgement is a beyond our pay grade...

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
If it's followed by "because ..." then I don't mind the "I would never ..." responses to Bargain Deals. They can be very helpful, as in the case of the few I've seen where current Special Assessments or inordinately high MF's were not disclosed by the OP.

If it's just personal opinion with no real-value basis, not so much.

Sure it's a very good thing that those who are giving away a timeshare have a place on TUG to do it, but I see the cautionary posts about the giveaways as an FYI, helpful tool. TUGgers post comments/questions here about eBay or other ads all the time because they don't want themselves or anyone else committing to something without finding out all of the particulars first. If the responses in Bargain Deals threads serve the same purpose, IMO they're a good thing.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
OK - good for the goose - it's good for....

Sort of like the people that scream, "NEVER BUY A MEXICAN TIMESHARE" every time someone mentions the possibility.

Just because it may not be your cup of tea, and may not fit into your lifestyle; doesn't mean it's not a great deal for someone else!

BUT - we would all think something is wrong & be PM' ing Denise to ask if she was OK .

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

If we applied this rule to every forum, it would mean we could never debate the pros and cons of a particular region or system, so I have to disagree.

Criticizing a specific person's free timeshare offer is not the same as debating the merits of a region or system.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If it's followed by "because ..." then I don't mind the "I would never ..." responses to Bargain Deals. They can be very helpful, as in the case of the few I've seen where current Special Assessments or inordinately high MF's were not disclosed by the OP.

Incomplete/misleading information a different issue, and I addressed that in my post. I'm not talking about incomplete or misleading Info.

I'm talking about people who come along and say - "I would not take this timeshare." That is counter-productive, and undermines the purpose of the Bargain Deals forum.

If I was a newbie, this would dissuade me from considering a timeshare, without really understanding it. It's not helpful.

If you post and tell everyone not to adopt the offered timeshare - you are really saying, "This timeshare can't be given away, so you should get rid of it another way."

If you can't give it away, then your other options are likely to be a an upfront fee company, Viking Ship Co., or foreclosure. Again - that's counterproductive.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Incomplete/misleading information a different issue, and I addressed that in my post. I'm not talking about incomplete or misleading Info.

I'm talking about people who come along and say - "I would not take this timeshare." That is counter-productive, and undermines the purpose of the Bargain Deals forum.

If I was a newbie, this would dissuade me from considering a timeshare, without really understanding it. It's not helpful.

If you post and tell everyone not to adopt the offered timeshare - you are really saying, "This timeshare can't be given away, so you should get rid of it another way."

If you can't give it away, then your other option are likely to be a an upfront fee company, Viking Ship Co., or foreclosure. Again - that's counterproductive.

My mistake, I thought you meant that you don't want any comments along the lines of, "I would not take this timeshare," even if they're followed by constructive comments. I thought you only wanted to see the constructive comments minus the personal opinions. Now I know I was wrong. :eek:

Reading through the first 15 posts on the forum I'm not seeing anything that would precipitate this thread. Can you point to a specific post as an example?

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at a resort MANY Tug members/guests have stayed at. Some people LOVE IT and others, HATE IT. I have guests who also own there and tell me exactly where they want to stay on ANY FLOOR; else they won't stay.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ... I don't argue.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I already addressed it privately.

One of the main topics on TUG is: "Use an ethical method to re-home your timeshare." So it bothers me to see people undermining this effort on the Bargain Deals Forum.

I don't think people realize that is what they are doing, and that's what I'm trying to point out.

I have both re-homed and adopted a number of timeshares on the Bargain Deals Forum, so I can see it from both sides.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I already addressed it privately.

One of the main topics on TUG is: "Use an ethical method to re-home your timeshare." So it bothers me to see people undermining this effort on the Bargain Deals Forum.

I don't think people realize that is what they are doing, and that's what I'm trying to point out.

I have both re-homed and adopted a number of timeshares on the Bargain Deals Forum, so I can see it from both sides.

Oh. Who decides, though, what is constructive and what is undermining? Especially as you've addressed it privately - isn't there a chance that others might not have addressed it as you have?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The thing is Caveat Emptor always applies. It should be without saying. That said it's free (or $1). Yes, the one taking the bargain should make sure it's what they want but I could make an argument against taking any timeshare. Even the valuable ones without accounting for a flip. I could list 10 reasons why you shouldn't take every single bargain listing (including the one I just unloaded). The reasons would be specific to each case. On the flip side I could list reasons why someone should take the listing.

It's pointless for anyone to jump in and say it's a bad deal without exceptions. It is directly counter to the advice of listing a timeshare on the bargain forum. It leads to the person being further discouraged.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh. Who decides, though, what is constructive and what is undermining? Especially as you've addressed it privately - isn't there a chance that others might not have addressed it as you have?

As moderators, every day we decide what's appropriate, and what is not - it's in the job description.

NONE of the timeshares on the Bargain Deals forum are "gems" - if they were, they would not be free. But for the right person - it might be a perfect match.

Posts that discourage people from considering TS's on the Bargain Deals Forum, are counter-productive to TUG's goals.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I agree - sometimes we're our own worst enemies here.

I have given away a few units on the bargain deals forum. On one giveaway it was suggested that I needed to sweeten the pot and pay for transfer costs. I honestly think that it was that individual's opinion that what I had was worthless. I knew from being familiar with the property that there were people who would love this unit. I ultimately gave it away and the buyer happily paid the transfer fee. This was through a facebook group, not TUG, and I still suspect that the negative comment poisoned any potential takers here on TUG. If that person had personal knowledge of that resort it would have been constructive criticism which is fine. But if you aren't familiar with a resort you need to consider if posting your opinion is helpful or not.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As moderators, every day we decide what's appropriate, and what is not - it's in the job description.

NONE of the timeshares on the Bargain Deals forum are "gems" - if they were, they would not be free. But for the right person - it might be a perfect match.

Posts that discourage people from considering TS's on the Bargain Deals Forum, are counter-productive to TUG's goals.

I feel like this is a Twilight Zone thread.

As a moderator I still don't see anything in any of the first 15 posts in the forum that appears to conflict with the TUG Posting Rules, and the little blurb on the forum page is very unclear, in my opinion, about the "appropriate" way to respond to posts. So if there's a job description that will make things more clear I'll be happy to read it.

As a TUG Member I think I disagree with you about whether criticisms are a valuable component of the Bargain Deals board. No, I don't want to undermine the intent of the board but yes, as a would-be recipient of timeshares being offered I appreciate the criticisms from fellow knowledgeable TUGgers. Especially knowing that the forum is heavily populated with less-than-perfect (putting it nicely) timeshares, I want to know the actual worst aspects of owning one.

About TUG's mission we agree, I think - educating and sharing the knowledge that's necessary to ensure a strong timeshare culture/market/property is a good thing. I'm just not as sure as you seem to be that inhibiting criticisms of Bargain Deals offers aligns with that objective?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can summarize this in 2 sentences:

-Posting factual info about a timeshare - helpful

-Telling people not to adopt a timeshare on the Bargain Deals Forum - not helpful

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Denise M... great precis....
I have posted a few bargain deals. And also exchange request, some of the replays were insulting, especially if I Offer any where in Orlando or surrounding area. Some people hate it here, I love it. It can't be that bad, it's always crowded! Sometimes the right offer will come along and both parties benefit. I am trying not to buy or acquire any more timeshares! But I enjoy trading and using the ones I have.
Silentg

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
If we applied this rule to every forum, it would mean we could never debate the pros and cons of a particular region or system, so I have to disagree.

Criticizing a specific person's free timeshare offer is not the same as debating the merits of a region or system.

Were there a debate, I would agree. This is not the case. There is at least one member here who pipes up with mis-information about Mexican timeshares frequently. No matter how many times others (including myself) post correcting them, they pipe up at the next opportunity with the same mis-information. There's no debate involved - they just demean anyone who thinks owning a timeshare in Mexico is a valid idea. Certainly sounds like what you were complaining about here Ms. DeniseM.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
AS was recently listed

Resort xxx -Great Trader
Giving away because :
Not enough vacation time -OR- Already have enough TPU's

If you have lemons - make lemonade

Commenting - I would never drink YOUR lemonade - helps no one

Denise : Thank you for starting this discourse .

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Were there a debate, I would agree. This is not the case. There is at least one member here who pipes up with mis-information about Mexican timeshares frequently. No matter how many times others (including myself) post correcting them, they pipe up at the next opportunity with the same mis-information. There's no debate involved - they just demean anyone who thinks owning a timeshare in Mexico is a valid idea. Certainly sounds like what you were complaining about here Ms. DeniseM.

I think there is a difference between being critical in general discussion and being critical of a week someone is trying to give away for FREE. I can see what Denise is saying here. I have never seen here respond to a Bargain Deal post with "don't buy a timeshare in Mexico". Though she does in the Buying, Selling, and Renting forum.

It is one thing to be critical of something when discussing the overall merits of time-sharing, but being critical something someone is trying to give it away?

I would be interested in seeing the specific example, though I have seen a few situations over the years where this has happened. Though it is far from common.

ETA; Perhaps this is an example? Calculating out the MF per TPU of a rather weak RCI trader?

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I think there is a difference between being critical in general discussion and being critical of a week someone is trying to give away for FREE. I can see what Denise is saying here. I have never seen here respond to a Bargain Deal post with "don't buy a timeshare in Mexico". Though she does in the Buying, Selling, and Renting forum.

I really don't see a difference. When a moderator frequently advises people not to buy a timeshare in Orlando or Mexico because it's over built, she is pretty much tainting everyone's TS that is put on the Bargain Deals forum for those areas.

I have had people respond to one of my threads in that forum and ask if the comments they've seen from a moderator concerning Orlando timeshares is valid for the one I have "for sale." So I know people don't just read the ads there, they read the rest of TUG to get ideas.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I agree with both DeniseM and SueDonJ. While it may not be the best for those getting rid of their "junk", as DeniseM notes, there is no way to make a rule (other than the existing rules) as to which comments are fair or not, as SueDonJ points out. I agree with DeniseM's principal, but can't see how a rule could correct it.

The nature of the board is people give comments, and others respond. The "seller" can respond with a "why not?," or others can reply "well that's why its free." I would rather err on the side of a "buyer" having ALL the facts and not getting into something they think is a great deal that really isn't vs. making sure the seller can dump their unit.

Also, if the standard for posts on the board was helpful vs. not helpful, there would be very few posts allowed.

Note: I'm not talking about trolls. If someone is truly trolling, I think that is addressed by the existing rules.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Let's try this:

I respond to Bargain Deals posts frequently. Usually, I ask questions because the OP has not provided enough info. about their timeshare, so I am trying to get them to post all the facts about what they are offering.

Sometimes, however, the person is not realistic about what their timeshare is worth, and they are asking for payments and fees that I know they won't get. In those cases, I make suggestions about how they can sweeten the pot and make their offer more attractive.

If I have other Info. about the timeshare that I think would be helpful, I post that too - even if it is negative.

IMNSHO, that is the difference between eliciting accurate info., and undermining the offer.

This will be my last post on the topic - hopefully I sparked a few thoughts.

Last edited: