• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Bay Club at Waikoloa] RCI exchange keep it or toss it back

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
I have had an ongoing search for Hawaii for June 2018 with both II and RCI

Today I got a confirmation for Bay Club at Waikoloa one bedroom from RCI

My self and three college kids on this trip. I was hoping for HNL or Maui but added the big island to increase my odds. I see the Bay Club all the time and 52 trading power seems like a lot for a one bedroom.

Not sure on this one. Never been to the big island before. I know its lot of driving. I am more of a lay on the beach person.

What do you think ?

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I got a 2 bedroom for Kohala Suites on big island. So they do pop up from time to time.

3 college kids and a one bedroom would be a no go for me!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have had an ongoing search for Hawaii for June 2018 with both II and RCI

Today I got a confirmation for Bay Club at Waikoloa one bedroom from RCI

My self and three college kids on this trip. I was hoping for HNL or Maui but added the big island to increase my odds. I see the Bay Club all the time and 52 trading power seems like a lot for a one bedroom.

Not sure on this one. Never been to the big island before. I know its lot of driving. I am more of a lay on the beach person.

What do you think ?

A one bedroom with 4 adults- ugh. And if only one bathroom- that would make it even worse.

The Big Island- well- I love it- but we did a lot of sightseeing there. I don't know the resort, but Waikoloa is really , really nice.

Up from there is Hapuna Beach- just beautiful. I went every chance I got- we stayed at Paniolo Greens.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
No way would I do a 1 bdm with 3 college age kids.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Released it and changed search to two bedrooms only

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha,
I have lost interest in RCI and once I use a final exchange in Dec 2019, I will let my membership lapse along with the 1 TPU in the account.
I used to screen scrape data off RCI for selected Hawaiian resorts, parse it and save it in an excel sheet. The Bay Club is one resort that I collected. I quit doing it about two years or so ago. So results are somewhat obsolete. Also, I was only collecting data for inventory that did not match an ongoing search.
Looking at that data, I notice that one bedroom units with well over 400 days lead time for June 2017 matches took 30 TPU. With barely 400 days lead time for July 2013 it was 39 TPU.
I find the numbers curious, but have too few facts to form a conjecture.
What $$ value do you put on a TPU? Have you considered renting a two bedroom condo from a variety of sources, including www.vrbo.com ?
Anyway, with only six months lead time, the pickings are likely to be slim until you get closer to check in. Then, a small percentage of folks with family or medical emergencies have to cancel. I used to play that game and always won, but there is a risk of having to rent a hotel room or condo. How long has your OGS been active? If its fairly new, I'd wait. If its been a long time, I'd be thinking about an alternate plan. It can be a tough choice.
Good luck,
Jack
edited to add that sometimes it takes me awhile to finish a post; sorry I missed that Jim had already tossed it back

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aloha,
I have lost interest in RCI and once I use a final exchange in Dec 2019, I will let my membership lapse along with the 1 TPU in the account.
I used to screen scrape data off RCI for selected Hawaiian resorts, parse it and save it in an excel sheet. The Bay Club is one resort that I collected. I quit doing it about two years or so ago. So results are somewhat obsolete. Also, I was only collecting data for inventory that did not match an ongoing search.
Looking at that data, I notice that one bedroom units with well over 400 days lead time for June 2017 matches took 30 TPU. With barely 400 days lead time for July 2013 it was 39 TPU.
I find the numbers curious, but have too few facts to form a conjecture.
What $$ value do you put on a TPU? Have you considered renting a two bedroom condo from a variety of sources, including www.vrbo.com ?
Anyway, with only six months lead time, the pickings are likely to be slim until you get closer to check in. Then, a small percentage of folks with family or medical emergencies have to cancel. I used to play that game and always won, but there is a risk of having to rent a hotel room or condo. How long has your OGS been active? If its fairly new, I'd wait. If its been a long time, I'd be thinking about an alternate plan. It can be a tough choice.
Good luck,
Jack
edited to add that sometimes it takes me awhile to finish a post; sorry I missed that Jim had already tossed it back

I have lots of options
Hotel points
Cash etc
But I want to use up some of my rci and II deposits.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
For Hawaii in RCI, one option is to book a backup you can cancel late in the game (1 weekish) and then stalk the website in the mornings about 2-3 weeks before you arrive. This can mean flying to/from HNL and booking inter-island flights relatively last-minute for your actually stays. But, some surprising things show up in that window and at discounted TPU values.

I agree: a 2BR would be my minimum size for this travel party.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This morning I got a match for Wyndham Kona Hawaiian 2 bedroom
Probably going to keep this one

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
That is a good resort, Jim. We have stayed at Waikoloa Village, two of the Hiltons. We also stayed at Wyndham's Kona Village a few years ago. Both are nice.

Hilton is a cut above, but Rick says I just liked staying near the big hotel and near the shopping at Waikoloa, and that is probably true.

The pools are fantastic at both the Wyndham and the Hilton resorts.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is a good resort, Jim. We have stayed at Waikoloa Village, two of the Hiltons. We also stayed at Wyndham's Kona Village a few years ago. Both are nice.

Hilton is a cut above, but Rick says I just liked staying near the big hotel and near the shopping at Waikoloa, and that is probably true.

The pools are fantastic at both the Wyndham and the Hilton resorts.

I like the two bedroom and it’s only 36 trade points compared to the 52 for bay club one bedroom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I like the two bedroom and it’s only 36 trade points compared to the 52 for bay club one bedroom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You did the right thing, no way is a 1br BC worth 52 tpu.

I stayed in one earlier this year for a lot less!

fbd23888f0e1a3c410c38787cc67ff25.jpg

There is serious inflation going on at Waikoloa what with tpu increases and resort fees. Its finally cheaper to own and use HGV points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: