• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best timeshare you ever stayed in?

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The nicest timeshare we've ever stayed in was the Lawrence Welk in Escondido. Loved the layout and spaciousness.

Probably one of the most impressive was our first timeshare stay, one of the Westgate complexes in Orlando. We were blown away in a three bedroom unit, a two bedroom plus a lockoff, loved the jacuzzi tub in the bedroom, etc. But again, that was our first time.

Bev

Aussie girl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have only stayed at 5 resorts including where we own. All great resorts. Royal Sands, Four Seasons Aviara, Desert Springs 11, Westin Kaanapali and our home resort Fairmont hot Springs British Columbia.

Nicest rooms = Four Seasons Aviara two bedroom, interval trade

Best service = Royal Sands two bedroom, interval trade

Favorite Resort = Fairmont hot Springs Hillside. We own a two bedroom lock off. Units are very large. Beautiful rooms, fabulous location. We love that we can ski in the winter and golf in spring, summer and fall and some years golf and ski on the same day in the spring.

Desert springs was a getaway and Westin Kaanapali a trade. Both nice resorts. We couldn't believe they charge to rent beach chairs at the Westin and snorkel gear. Royal Sands even golf clubs were free.

sgtfigueroa

TUG Member
Reaction score
best exchanges....

After many posts by fellow tuggers, here are my top vacations:

1. Grand Velas, PV Mexico. Yes the AI Fee is high, Yes there are wonderful places to eat outside, Yes, there are 5000 less expensive trades. However, the rooms are huge, the tilework, teak, and beds are just out of the park. Service, lets just say WOW. Alright, still not convinced sit in the pool, sip a miami vice, and watch the sunset...sold

2. Cypress Pointe, again space location and just the right mix of closeness to Disney yet still having the ability to get away from the mouse.

3. Newport On shore, Newport RI, Ok this is here because of the friends and fun. We go every year for Octoberfest weekend, the resort is nice ( took 3 trips to actually use the pool), its a few block stumble from the events Pier, just down from the Red Parrot ( Yes if you have been you know) and a lot of great places to grab a bit to eat.

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably because you can't swim at the beach and the water is the North Sound which is not comparable to the Caribbean Sea.

I am surprised no one has chosen the Grand Caymanian ? Why ?

Kola

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Very interesting question but my response all depends on your criteria so here goes;

Best Unit we have ever stayed in;

1) Morrits Grand- Grand Cayman 2BR 1500 square feet with huge oceanfront balconey and fantastic Ocean views.

2) Royal Mayan-Cancun- Although older than Morrits Grand we had spacious 2BR unit with great large balconey and again fantastic view of beach and pool.

Best Resort we have ever stayed in;

1) Mayan Palace Acapulco- Fantastic resort with great pools, ocean views, gorgeous lobby, fantastic service including maid service twice a day. outstanding amenities comparable to any Ritz Carlton we have ever stayed in.

2) Melia Paridissus Punta Cana- Huge resort with great All inclusive program. Great beach, amenities, restaurants, pool area, nightly entertainment. We had a great time here.

Best worldwide location;

1) French Riviera- Drop dead gorgeous from Monaco to Cannes. Every scenic drive was a total WOW!!!! We stayed at a very nice timeshare which was all marble and very comfortable but you don't go to the French Riviera for the unit. It's location, location and the French Riviera is awesome and not to be missed.

2) Rome and all of Italy from what we saw from Naples to Rome, Florence, Tuscany and Venice. Our timeshare was again nice and comfortable at Carpedium Roma Golf resort but it was on the outskirts of Rome and we needed to drive to train station and then it was about a half hour into town But again Italy has to be one of the best countries in Europe to visit with history, museums, lakes, mountains, countryside, and great coastline. We loved the trip and never would have had the experience without the timeshare exchange.

Actually I don't think we have ever had a really bad exchange but they sure got better once we joined TUG. Thanks for all the sightings and reviews that have helped us get all of these great exchanges.:hi: :banana: :)

Last edited:

Mimi

TUG Review Crew
Reaction score
A favorite exchange was Hacienda del Mar in Cabo, for our 40th wedding anniversary. We had a roomy, bi-level, 2-br unit with very comfortable beds and maid service every day. The setting was gorgeous, with multiple pools and hot tubs adjacent to the ocean. Based on location, another memorable exchange had to be the Whaler in Maui. We enjoyed an oceanfront, corner unit with an awsome view of Whaler's Village, with numerous shops and restaurants within walking distance. We watched fireworks on the 4th of July, with wine glass in hand, from our L-shaped balcony. Snorkling at Black Rock was a short stroll down the beach. :clap:

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
The most fantastic unit we have exchanged into was the Four Seasons Aviara, but my favorite exchange was into Hohenschwangau, Germany in 1994 into a standard resort called Seehotel Alpenrose. Our unit had a view of the lake. I was where I wanted to be in an area dear to my heart. I have stayed in many upscale beautiful units, but that week in a standard resort and unit I think will always be the standout.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Arroyo Robles

In my mind, this first one was still the best. Walking in to this 2 bedroom in Sedona after trading it for a studio in San Francisco at the Donatello, we felt like we were in heaven.
Since then my favorite is Lawrence Welk which we used to trade into then bought into.
We have also stayed and bought at Orange Lake.
The ones that the kids loved the most was Eagle Crest in Oregon when they were little. Now that they are older they like lock-offs and were very impressed with the former Embassy Vacations Resort in Lake Tahoe and Vacation Village at Bonaventure.
We have only stayed at 2 places we dreaded in 20 or so years and 4 or 5 weeks per year. Heilderburg Inn, and Stallion Springs both in California and both dogs for us.
Bart

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Ocho Cascadas, Puerto Vallarta, Mex
Residencia Cala Pi Nou, Mallorca, Spain
Gamboa Rainforest Resort, Panama
Manhattan Club, NYC

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Marriott's Custom House. Liked it so much I bought one. It's in the center of everything, and Boston is a great town for vacation. Rooms are well maintained, and it has all of the amenities I want in a timeshare.

NTHC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Las Vegas, Massanutten
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Regal Vista, Wyndham, Bluegreen, Diamond
Nicest Condo....Bonnet Creek
Most professional staff...Flagship in Atlantic city
Best overall experience....Fiesta Americana in Cabo

Hubby and I recently compiled a list of timeshare resorts that we have actually stayed at. Between the two of us we came up with a list of 54. This does not mean that the others were not great by any means. These are the ones that stick out in our minds as being the winners in the categories that we are posting.

JOHO,
Cindy

EAM

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Best" can have different meanings.

I decided that a major criterion for "best" timeshare is wanting to go back there over and over again, and proximity is a major consideration. Most of the ones we've returned to are within a day's drive. Here are the ones we have visited more than once and I would consider "best" for us, even if the decor, activities, etc. are not spectacular. We would enjoy a return visit to any of them.

1. Hotel Nashville (Indiana). Great staff, free continental breakfast, daily housekeeping, nice indoor pool, sauna and whirlpool; not much to do at the resort but lots to do in the area, e.g. live entertainment, shopping, hiking at Brown County State Park, tennis at the local high school courts, ...Good place to relax and unwind.

2. French Lick Springs Villas (yes, I know it is also on the "worst" list). Large well-equipped units, great bus tours, many amenities at resort hotel next door, lots of history in the area, hiking at Spring Mill State Park.

3. Fairfield Nashville (TN). Attractive, well-equipped units. Lots of good activities, great live entertainment in the area.

4. Fairfield Cypress Palms (Orlando). Attractive units and landscaping, relaxing pools, we like it better than Bonnet Creek.

5. Fairfield Pagosa. Great scenery, nice units, good hiking in the area, interesting sites to visit.

I think this thread should be a "sticky."

KatrinaG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pueblo Bonito Blanco - Cabo San Lucas

Pueblo Bonito Blanco (aka Los Cabos) in Cabo San Lucas, Mx
Villa Vera Hotel and Raquet Club in Alcapulco, Mx

bonniedwan

Reaction score
Our favorite so far has been "Moon Palace" of the Palace Resorts in Cancun Mexico!!!!! If you've never been, make sure you get there, it is absolutely the best. We actually are owners there. If possible....stay in a Presidential Suite. You will NOT be disappointed.

A close second was Marriott's Surfwatch in Hilton Head. What an absolutely upscale & beautiful resort.

Happy Travels,

Bonnie Johnston:whoopie:

taffy19

Reaction score
After many posts by fellow tuggers, here are my top vacations:

1. Grand Velas, PV Mexico.
Same here. A couple more weeks and we are there again. It is very special. :D

PS. Words cannot describe this resort so here are some pictures.

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have only stayed at 5 resorts including where we own. All great resorts. Royal Sands, Four Seasons Aviara, Desert Springs 11, Westin Kaanapali and our home resort Fairmont hot Springs British Columbia.

Nicest rooms = Four Seasons Aviara two bedroom, interval trade

Best service = Royal Sands two bedroom, interval trade

Favorite Resort = Fairmont hot Springs Hillside. We own a two bedroom lock off. Units are very large. Beautiful rooms, fabulous location. We love that we can ski in the winter and golf in spring, summer and fall and some years golf and ski on the same day in the spring.

Desert springs was a getaway and Westin Kaanapali a trade. Both nice resorts. We couldn't believe they charge to rent beach chairs at the Westin and snorkel gear. Royal Sands even golf clubs were free.

You were able to make these kinds of trades with Fairmont Hot
Canada? What are the maintenance fees for your timeshare? I think I will have to add this place to my ts portfolio. Two bdrm Avira, Westin Kannapali, Royal Sands and Desert Springs--Where do I sign up??

My favorites
Sanibel Beach Cottages- I made a swap for my Disney BCV for this place. The layout was fabulous with a wrap around deck that looked over the gulf. The drawback was the bed almost crippled me but again those decks were fabulous.
Disney's Old Key West- OKW will always be our home away from home We have been coming down to Orlando since DVC started and OKW is our favorite place to be when we are on vacation
Domus Romana- Traded within Royal Holiday to get a week in this charming place in the center of Rome. The hotel is actually a converted convent. We had a one bedroom apt and for European standards it was palatial. The floors were marble and the ceilings dated back three centuries. The unit faced a peaceful fountain and courtyard. Breakfast was given daily and the help couldn't have been kinder or more accommodating.
Fairfield Bonnet Creek- stayed here on a rental. The resort is across the street from OKW but the units are way more upscale than anything Disney has. Other resorts are nicer inside the units than Disney but outside with the full use of the Disney Resort area plus the parks, I think Disney a better choice.

Marriotts we have stayed in so far have all been lovely:
Marriott Newport Coast- We had a two bedroom overlooking the pacific. The units were upscale and lovely
Marriott Seaview - We have adopted this resort since it is only 1.5 hours from home. The staff and the pools are to die for.
Marriott Palm Beach Fl- I forget the name. We stayed in a lovely two bedroom overlooking the ocean. We loved the spaciousness of the layout and the staff was phenomenal
Marriott Surf Club in Aruba- Extremely large units overlooking the water and gigangtic pool. Got this two bedroom on an AC from II. This was our least favorite Marriott vacation which makes it still a wonderful place. We had a lot of difficulty with the staff understanding us and found some to be downright rude. On the other hand the resort itself is glorious.

Now here's one nobody would expect
We just came back from the RHC Les Pyramides in Cancun and we loved it. We weren't expecting too much so anything we got was gravy. I think what I liked best was our lovely view from our balcony of the Caribbean Sea and the wonderful Jacuuzi tub right there on the balcony as well. The people who worked there were charming and very nice. I fell in love with them and they never varied. They were always very, very nice. The resort itself was small but extremely clean. There were a lot of rules but for the most part we had a wonderful time there.

Last edited:

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very interesting question but my response all depends on your criteria so here goes;

Best Unit we have ever stayed in;

1) Morrits Grand- Grand Cayman 2BR 1500 square feet with huge oceanfront balconey and fantastic Ocean views.

2) Royal Mayan-Cancun- Although older than Morrits Grand we had spacious 2BR unit with great large balconey and again fantastic view of beach and pool.

Best Resort we have ever stayed in;

1) Mayan Palace Acapulco- Fantastic resort with great pools, ocean views, gorgeous lobby, fantastic service including maid service twice a day. outstanding amenities comparable to any Ritz Carlton we have ever stayed in.

2) Melia Paridissus Punta Cana- Huge resort with great All inclusive program. Great beach, amenities, restaurants, pool area, nightly entertainment. We had a great time here.

Best worlwide location;

1) French Riviera- Drop dead gorgeous from Monaco to Cannes. Every scenic drive was a total WOW!!!! We stayed at a very nice timeshare which was all marble and very comfortable but you don't go to the French Riviera for the unit. It's location, location and the French Riviera is awesome and not to be missed.

2) Rome and all of Italy from what we saw from Naples to Rome, Florence, Tuscany and Venice. Our timeshare was again nice and comfortable at Carpedium Roma Golf resort but it was on the outskirts of Rome and we needed to drive to train station and then it was about a half hour into town But again Italy has to be one of the best countries in Europe to visit with history, museums, lakes, mountains, countryside, and great coastline. We loved the trip and never would have had the experience without the timeshare exchange.

Actually I don't think we have ever had a really bad exchange but they sure got better once we joined TUG. Thanks for all the sightings and reviews that have helped us get all of these great exchanges.:hi: :banana: :)

What was the name of the French Riviera Resort?

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Emmy, your photos are wonderful. What company did you trade with to get this?

Last edited:

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our first trade was to EVR Maui, now the Ka'anapali Beach Club. Huge 1BD in exchange for the petite 1BD we owned then. And much nicer furnishings too. This hooked us on timesharing forever! Also when I checked on the price of extending our stay another week, the resort's price was $1600. Our cost then including exchange fee was $400! That room was the biggest and best so far.

For location we also like the Manhattan Club. Without timesharing we wouldn't get to NYC very often at all.

For a nearby treat, timesharing allows us to exchange to the Donatello in SF for the price we used to pay to stay there 2 or 3 nights.

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amazing pics!

Elly. What incredible photos!! Just spectacular. Thanks for sharing.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not Larry and I'm sure our exchange wasn't into the same resort (no marble floors), but can say that although Le Golfe Bleu wouldn't be on my list of top timeshares, I concur that it would be in my top 10 for location and views, it was spectacular. It's in Roquebrune, next door to Monaco - you can walk there, along the coast.

taffy19

Reaction score
Emmy, your photos are wonderful. What company did you trade with to get this?
Diane, the Grand Velas exchanges with RCI and the Registry Collection too. It is very easy to stay here because the mandatory A-I fee is rather high but they are the only 5 Diamonds All Inclusive Resort in this area, according to their web site. It may be worth it to you if you like hanging out at the resort and being pampered and have excellent meals and free drinks everywhere on the premises too. It wouldn't be worth it if you like trying out many different restaurants in the area or go sightseeing every day. JMHO. We like to hang around here and walk the beach and we notice the same people coming back every year so we are not the only ones doing this. We own a timeshare here for 25 weeks. It is a very relaxing vacation at a beautiful setting with a gorgeous beach and sunsets. It is the right place for a very special occasion. They have 24 hour room service too, if you prefer that and at least one free massage or two, I am not sure.

I called the Grand Velas today to finalize our reservations for February 3 and found out that they have a brand new web site now for the Grand Velas International Residence Club. They have referral packages so call them and refer yourself. :D I don't feel it is right for me to do this because they pay a very large referral fee, if I read that right. Most TUGgers are too smart to buy from the developer but you may still want to take a tour and stay there at a darn good price. :)

Also, special travel deals are available often through Costco Travel as I check them often plus you don't have to give up your other week.

Another resort that I can highly recommend is "Paradise Village" (II) which is on the same beautiful beach but the setting is not as intimate and romantic as at the Grand Velas is but the sunsets are just as beautiful. We were here only a few weeks ago. They do not have a mandatory A-I fee but their meals are very good too and they have a different theme and music every night with a buffet style dinner. We enjoyed the meals and the entertainment almost every night and they have lots of activities too and especially for the children. It was fun watching them. Mexico has beautiful resorts but I have only been to a few and only in the PV area.

Larry

TUG Member
Reaction score

The French Riviera Timeshare was Residence Vaugrenier RCI #0550 not to be confused with Timeshare Vaugrenier # 1397 which is not as nice as the one I stayed in. I wrote a TUG review a couple of years ago but I don't see it anymore.:hi: