• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best timeshare you ever stayed in?

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hard to narrow down to one, let alone my top 10, and I bet the last time I answered this question my answer was somewhat different, but here are 10 exchanges in no particular ranking that I was absolutely satisfied with. To qualify for this list, these factors were all met (this is the order of importance to me in considering an exchange, ranked)

1. general location - outstanding
2. location and view within the resort - outstanding
3. unit itself, as far as general comfort and enjoyment to hang out at.

Pacific Shores, Vancouver Island - waterfront unit
Anfi Palace Murren, Switzerland - southfacing mountainpeak unit
Cala Pi, Mallorca - seaview unit
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Lake Tahoe - lakefront unit
Ferienclub Grundlsee, Austria - 1-BR lakeview unit - paid to upgrade from not-so-good studio, worth it
Monarch at Sea Pines, Hilton Head - oceanfront unit
NYC Hilton
Club Tarahal, Tenerife - oceanview unit
Madeira Beach Club - oceanfront unit
Domaine de Gavaudun, France - ok unit but one of favorite exchanges ever

I have others which I could easily add to "fabulous exchange, I'd return in a heartbreat" but had to narrow this down somehow! Well, maybe I don't have to narrow it down. Here are 10 more I'd recommend as fabulous for 1 reason or another, not quite my personal top-ranking but highly recommended.

Rageleje Klit, Denmark - 2-br oceanfront unit - almost belongs in my top 10...
Le Golfe Bleu, French Riviera - seaview - studio bedding not great for 2
Caribe Beach Club, Sanibel - studio was actually fine for 2, great exchange
Portofino Est, Italy - but only a seaview unit and larger than studio
I Gioielli del Doge, Venice - viewless but fabulous exchange!!
Vista Natalia, Mojacar Spain - only spent 1 night, outstanding view/location!
Villacana Club - Estepona Spain - excellent unit/location, no seaview tho...
Puerto Anfi, Gran Canaria - resort top-notch, location on Gran Canaria so-so
Glacier Wilderness - location outstanding, resort very nice but no view
Porto Piccolo, Sardinia - seaview unit - nice location for nature/scenery

Last edited:

TravlGrl

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Grand Velas in Nuevo Vallarta -- hands down! Not even something I had to think about.

tj

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
The most 'elegant' unit I have ever stayed in was at Four Seasons Aviara - wonderful service as well.

The most wonderful resort all around was The Grand Mayan, Nueva Vallarta.
The lobby, the restaurants, the lounges - unbelieveable.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The Grand Mayans at Riviera Maya and Nuevo Vallarta are at the top of my list. We have been timesharing for 20 years and no other resorts come even close for resort quality and service.

We are not owners, and have exchanged into them through SFX.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
The Grand Mayans at Riviera Maya and Nuevo Vallarta are at the top of my list. We have been timesharing for 20 years and no other resorts come even close for resort quality and service.

We are not owners, and have exchanged into them through SFX.
Going to Grand Mayan Riviera Maya next feb. - can't wait!

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
I was never interested in Puerto Vallarta but after that link to Grand Velas I think I may cave............what a resort.

TexasSunshine

Reaction score
Best Timeshare

By far, Grand Velas International Residence (RCI), Nuevo Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta..The AI fees were astronomical, but the suites have all marble, your own balconies with nice chaise lounges, oceanfront, and they wait on you hand and foot. We paide 160 per person per day. You do not have a 7 day mandatory AI but still it was SO HIGH! Also, Nuevo is not close to downtown, you have to rent a car or take a cab into town
.We are staying at Cabo Azul in San Jose Del Cabo (II) in October and I am sure that will be on the list as well.

I would love to exchange into the Allegro Royal Hideaway Playacar (RCI) and the Crane Residence in Barbados (RCI), but have not had any luck and don't want to tie up my money in a search if there is not a lot of units going for exchange (weeks). I study the RCI book and these properties seem amazing!

cclendinen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sanibel Beach Cottages, Tradewinds Cruise Club

Sanibel Beach Cottages - 2br/2bath on Sanibel Island, Florida. The the resort is small hilton property but the rooms are huge. They are quad condos with a screen porch that wraps around the living/dining room and master bedroom. They had been completely gutted and refurbished from the damage due to the 2004 hurricanes. I have stayed at a lot of nice places but nothing comes close to this place and the best part it was an RCI points exchange in the 45-day window for 7500 points.

Tradewinds Cruise Club (Grenadines) - Bequia, Grenadines - This is a large catamaran with four 2 person guest cabins that sails the islands of the Grenadines. You have a captain and mate that cook and sail the boat. You can snorkel, scuba dive, fish and visit the Islands. You can help sail the boat or just relax. The Grenadines are amazing!

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really loved the quality of the rooms at Valdoro Mountain Lodge in Breckenridge, CO.

I'm excited that a few of my upcoming exchanges have been listed in this thread (Grand Mayan, NV; Morritt's Grand Caymanian, Grand Cayman, Wyndhams Bonnett Creek, Orlando).....

Lots of great places listed.....hoep to see them all. :whoopie:

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
iconnections: Thanks for sharing those beautiful pics. I have eaten at the French Rest. at Grand Velas and have walked the property but never saw the rooms. I'll get there one of these days...I do like Velas and Casa Velas, so this is even better!

My absolute best resort thus far Pacifica Aqua Penthouse Unit...incredible views, balcony to die for large, spacious and with Infinity pool on balcony, big enough for a party of 8- 10. Open aired, tropical showers with waterfall shower heads, just so unique. Top notch service..just love it. I am owner there.

I have many I like such as Casa Velas and Club Velas, and one in Mazatlan, like them all for different reasons.

I also own at Paradise Village which is very nice as well and a Mayan owner as well, but thought they are top notch resorts,( the Mayans) I just do not consider them among my favorites, not sure why, maybe too big, maybe too usual, typical, not sure...

So my absolute favorite Pacifica Aqua in Ixtapa Mexico.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Embassy in Tahoe was really nice... but, it may have changed a bit since if first opened.
The Carlsbad Inn-- great resort by the sea, family oriented.
The Southern California Beach Club-- simply for the proximity to the ocean, amazing views, sunsets from the balcony, and the beach life.
The Arroyo Roble in Sedona-- right by the creek, huge units, well apportioned, and located in town.

The San Luis Bay Inn-- by far, the best. Right by the ocean with fantastic views from the cliff. Right next to golf course with a creek that flows into the ocean. View otters playing in the water from your room. Watch deer on the golf course, or play tennis by the creek. Swim in the warm creek where it enters the ocean. Walk on two of the 3 piers in the bay (one is for research only.) We even bought a whole albacore from the fisherman's dock. Wine tasting, raspberry picking, hiking, lots to do!

S

Steamboat Bill

The best for me is the High Country Club (technically a Destination Club and not a timeshare) property located in Kula, Maui.

This place is incredible - 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 3 acre private property, private golf pitch and put green, private 40x20 foot pool, gourmet kitchen, private gated entrance, kids playhouse, private hot tub, plasma televisions, fireplace, 6 burner private grill, outdoor cabana, incredible wooden and slate floors, granite countertops, workout room, front loading full size washer/dryer, fantastic decor, and the list goes on.

Here are the photos in case you want to see why I am voting this as the BEST "timeshare" I have ever stayed in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steamboatbill/sets/72157605834990816/detail/

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Bill, that vacation home looks lovely, especially when more than one family or several couples are traveling together.

We really enjoy the festive feeling at some resort clubhouses and common areas - poolside music, food/bar service, special pool features, group activities and parties, etc. Do the High Country Club locations have these kinds of amenities or are they more dedicated to the private vacation experience?

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's hard to choose between these two

The Affinia Dumont in NYC, located on 34th and Lexington in the heart of everything. One bdrm has full kitchen, large living room, large work area. The Bedroom has two queen beds with choice of pillows from a pillow menu. There is a restaurant and a spa on site and best of all I get it with my Royal Holiday Weekly membership. My maintenance fees are $745 for a week in the city in an upscale apartment hotel.

Also through RHC the Domus Romana in Rome. Large unbelievable rooms with ceilings painted in the 18th century. The hotel/apt is located in a desirable area of Rome and is a converted nunnery. You get breakfast everyday and the folks that work there are wonderful.

Both of these places are not your typical timeshare experience. That's why I love my RHC weekly contracts. Tell me where I could rent a one bdrm apt in NYC or Rome for $745 for a full week?

jzirker

Reaction score
Have to agree here - CI Whistler is FANTASTIC, summer OR winter!

Jeff

We exchanged into Club Intrawest in Whistler twice and just had to become an owner because we loved it so much. It big enough to have most all things you expect at a resort but it is and never will be a MEGA -resort.

Two nice pools (one for families and one for adults), a game room with free video games for the kids, a movie theater were at night they play DVDs (guest or one of their free library of movies), if you want to get out of your room, you can pickup a book and sit by the fire in the Club's library. All the changing room near the pool have a swim suit spinner to dry your suit before you go back to the room. There is always a urn of hot cider in the lobby.

We love the place.

jzirker

Reaction score
Bill,

How much was this place? Or what system can we reserve it through?

Jeff

The best for me is the High Country Club (technically a Destination Club and not a timeshare) property located in Kula, Maui.

This place is incredible - 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 3 acre private property, private golf pitch and put green, private 40x20 foot pool, gourmet kitchen, private gated entrance, kids playhouse, private hot tub, plasma televisions, fireplace, 6 burner private grill, outdoor cabana, incredible wooden and slate floors, granite countertops, workout room, front loading full size washer/dryer, fantastic decor, and the list goes on.

Here are the photos in case you want to see why I am voting this as the BEST "timeshare" I have ever stayed in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steamboatbill/sets/72157605834990816/detail/

S

Steamboat Bill

Bill, that vacation home looks lovely, especially when more than one family or several couples are traveling together.

We really enjoy the festive feeling at some resort clubhouses and common areas - poolside music, food/bar service, special pool features, group activities and parties, etc. Do the High Country Club locations have these kinds of amenities or are they more dedicated to the private vacation experience?

There are about 30 homes currently and some are stand alone homes and some are located in a traditional resort style setting. Chech www.highcountryclub.com for more info.

The home cost the club about $2.6m, but you can stay for $2,300 per week if you are a HCC member ($30,000 companion member).

I don't want to hijack this thread, so send me a PM if you have questions or post a new thread on the TUG Non-Interval forum.

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score

You can't get it, Jeff, because it is not a timeshare.

My definition of BEST timeshare is easy to get to and provides the vacation experience I most enjoy. The big mega resorts a la Grand Mayan et al don't do it for me. I don't like huge crowded pools, lounge hogs at 5am, high priced restaurants and bars and a crappy mini kitchen. Others love it. Different strokes.

The best timeshare that I own is Desert Breezes, soothing landscape, friendly staff, clean & comfortable rooms with full well supplied kitchen, 3 heated pools, 5 tennis courts, cheap golf nearby and I can drive there in one day.

Best exchange ever was Four Seasons Aviara. Fancier than DBZ but no more enjoyable. The daily maid service actually is a bit intrusive!

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bought at our favorite years ago

The Villas at Lawrence Welk are the favorite place we go for R and R. I am able to relax as soon as we walk in the door and would be happy just staying there each day. To be honest I don't know why I feel this way but the stress just leaves me right away. This happened the first time we walked into a unit there and so when the chance came we bought there. To this day I have no regrets about Welk.
Bart

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Villas at Lawrence Welk are the favorite place we go for R and R.

Yes, another really BEST resort. Not flashy but just wonderfully relaxing. A perfect vacation place for me, too. Another is San Luis Bay Inn. All units are ocean view. Not fancy but soooo relaxing without all the glitz and hoopla. And those d%#m chair hogs! There are some resorts I personally will never go to just because of those jerks. Those resorts are minus 4 star in my book. Just not worth the agravation.

JoyceFNP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach and the resort now known as Poipu Beach Resort or something like that. After swearing to never buy another TS, I bought resell at PBSB after exchanging into there. This place blew our socks off!! We were able to rent at Poipu Beach for about the cost of MF's. I know there are other resorts that are more high-scale then these, but these are best we have stayed at.

Great minds think alike, right down to the Buffet lyrics. We traded into the PBSB a few years back with an RCI exchange from a my Presidential Villas property I bought for about $400 on ebay. The balconies, the rooms, bathrooms, the grounds are all to die for. I just wish you could swim at the beach. Or that I could transport it into my back yard.:)

JoyceFNP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sanibel Beach Cottages - 2br/2bath on Sanibel Island, Florida. The the resort is small hilton property but the rooms are huge. They are quad condos with a screen porch that wraps around the living/dining room and master bedroom. They had been completely gutted and refurbished from the damage due to the 2004 hurricanes. I have stayed at a lot of nice places but nothing comes close to this place and the best part it was an RCI points exchange in the 45-day window for 7500 points.

Tradewinds Cruise Club (Grenadines) - Bequia, Grenadines - This is a large catamaran with four 2 person guest cabins that sails the islands of the Grenadines. You have a captain and mate that cook and sail the boat. You can snorkel, scuba dive, fish and visit the Islands. You can help sail the boat or just relax. The Grenadines are amazing!

Again I agree. We exchanged into TWCC Grenadines a year ago. You don't go for the luxury of the unit. But what a great trip. We were hooked. Bought a resale of the remaining 6 years on the internet. I think I'm the only person with TWCC who has bought a resale. Went to St Martin in Aprl, bought 5 more years so now I have 12 more years to use my weeks. I liked St Martin and the Grenadines.............what a hard choice.