• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best type of Marriott Resale (e.g. eBay) Purchase for trading to Other Marriotts or to Rent out?

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Often you see the same types of Marriott units on eBay for sale. Which are the units which are the best bang for the buck in terms of cost (and what should that cost be) for being able to use for II trades into other Marriotts in peak seasons - and in those instances where they are not traded, have the best value to rent to others (e.g. via redweek)?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best bang for the buck are Platinum Villas at Grande Vista, and Grande Chateau in Las Vegas (in my opinion). You can get in for a reasonable price and most are lock-off units. Both have excellent trading value!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A timeshare that is good for trading is usually very different from one for renting. The 2 mentioned above, Grande Vista and Grand Chateau, are gret for trading but does not command good rental value. These 2 are inexpensive to acquire.

The ones that are good for rental are usually very expensive to acquire like ones in Maui.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Often you see the same types of Marriott units on eBay for sale. Which are the units which are the best bang for the buck in terms of cost (and what should that cost be) for being able to use for II trades into other Marriotts in peak seasons - and in those instances where they are not traded, have the best value to rent to others (e.g. via redweek)?
For a 2 BR I prefer GV over GC because I think the top weeks trade slightly better and it has the Thursday checkin options, esp for those booking more than 1 week at 13 months out (or might in the future). Ultimately it depends on how you'll use it and how flexible you are. If the lockoff doesn't appeal to you and you always need a 2 BR that might be difficult to get some of the lower level resorts without lockoff's might be perfect. I want to control costs, have options and always be trading up but have a real chance of success. For a 3 BR it's likely a wash if the Thursday check in has any advantage and GC might be a little better due to the fact the 3 BR trades as a 2Br & 1 BR rather than a studio.

My list of trading resorts with lockoff's all Platinum except as noted:
Desert Gold weeks.
Grande Vista
Grande Chateau
Harbour Lake
Willow Ridge
Manor Club Sequel

Without L/O add:
Doral
Manor Club
Legend's Edge
HHI lower resorts Platinum plus Grande Ocean Gold
? NJ (I don't know much about the resort)

I probably left out something and YMMV. I know some like Harbour Pointe for trading but my personal experience isn't positive with week 35. Now if you can get a great price on a different resort, say Desert Platinum, even better but I'm assuming usual market rates with a good deal but not a fire sale. Ultimately I prefer those new to Marriott and trading to buy something they can use part of the time even if it's not the perfect trader but within reason. LE, Branson, HL you can likely get for roughly free for Platinum if you give it some time and put some effort into it, maybe others as well including GC and desert weeks. I bought a HL week last year (2017) where what I paid was about half the dues and required transfer fee and I got the week for 2018. Don't get hung up on renting if you want to mostly trade it. IMO there is not good balance resort between renting and trading or what most people would want to use routinely and trading. There are expensive resorts with high fees that trade and rent well but none of the ones I mentioned are going to rent for high dollars but you might be able to cover fees. LE had a big hike in fees for 2019 due to the hurricane, hopefully it's a one year deal and they'll come back down next year.

My personal trading units are Branson and HL and I take full advantage of the lockoff's and Thursday check in options of which only GV, HL & Branson have of the resorts on this list. But it's not one size fits all. Personally preference and situation can make a huge difference.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Don't overlook the Marriott Phuket Beach Resort which has excellent trading value for the Platinum weeks (1 - 20 & 39 - 50). Although not a lockoff Platinum weeks can be purchased resale at ~$5,000 and likely has the lowest maintenance fees of all MVCI resorts.

ahdah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's SurfWatch Brewster Green Marriott's SurfWatch
I agree that Grande Chateau is an excellent trading unit, and the maintain fee is reasonable. I use our week to trade for a week in FL (not Orlando). I used to lock off the studio and trade for a two bedroom on HHI and used the one bedroom to go to a Marriott in FL. I have decided for us, it is no longer the bargain it used to be. First you pay to lock off the units, then to trade up on both units. It adds up. I now use the two bedroom to trade for another two bedroom at either Ft. Lauderdale or Singer Island, and we get the trade pretty quickly. I go to HHI with a trade using Brewster Green. I have a two bedroom in late August, 2019. We also buy a get away for HHI in November. This works for us, I am sure that others find locking off is best for them. I think you have to try and see what is best for you, then run with it. We have only used Grande Chateau for a trade and we always gotten what we wanted.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
The Aruba weeks trade great and command high rental rates, esp. for in demand weeks. There are some good deals for purchase.
The MF's are higher than the Grande Chateau, but you def. can recoup your MF's by renting the 1 BR portion (and many have by renting the lock-off as well). On the other hand, if you intend mostly to use for trading, you'd be better off with a unit with lower MF's.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
A number of years ago I asked for opinions on the best trading timeshares. The two that popped up the most were the Grand Chateau and the Grande Vista. A number of people suggested the 3 BR Chateau because it trades as a 1 br and 2 br. I went back and forth in my head between an EOY 2 BR and 3 BR at the GC. I went with the two BR that I picked up for 1800 including all fees. I own it 4 years and hence got 4 trade with 2 studios and 2 one Brs. The studio side got me 2 BR summer Surf Club and a 1 BR Christmas Week at Desert Springs Villa 1. The 1 BR got me the Grand Ocean in August and the Ocean Watch the end of April. I am tied to a school schedule so I travel peak. With the upgrade fees, I was much better off going with the 3 BR (trades 1 and 2 BR's) and the slightly higher MF over the 2 BR.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
None of the TSs mentioned will rent very well if at all so if you're looking for the least expensive that will trade and rent very well, I'd probably say a Newport Coast plat week that you can get for around $8k would be my recommendation. You won't get the extra trade because it is not a LO but the trade power will get you a 2BDRM Maui and Arubas in the winter and GO and MOWs in prime summer where those mentioned most likely won't especially if you split the unit. Also if you trade the plat NCV you'll get a bonus week from II that I would say has the same trade power as the studio you will be looking to trade. And if you wanted to rent it you should get approx $1k above MFs.

Not to mention it a fabulous resort to use.

So to me the NCV is the bigger bang for the buck because of the higher value trade targets you can capture, its own enjoyment value and it's rental income value.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
As others have indicated, Grande Vista and Grande Chateau tend to be the consistent resorts that come up when this question is asked. They have reasonable MFs, lock-off, and have high travel demand if the right week is reserved. This allows great flexibility and opportunity of exchanging via II. I would suggest Plat season on both. I would suggest a 3BR vs 2BR at either. The small extra cost is outweighed by the additional trade power, potential rent, and villa size flexibility.

I own at MGV, and it has traded wonderfully over the past 15+ yrs. The plus to Grande Chateau is that the 3BR exchanges as a 2BR/1BR, whereas the 3BR at Grande Vista is only 2BR/Efficiency. The plus to Grande Vista is that some weeks can exchange into other MVC resorts via the Florida Club without using II. Since Orlando doesn't rent well (way too overbuild with accommodations), this can be valuable if you reserve a week at another MVC in FC on the beach (Ocean Pointe, Beachplace Towers).

For rent, neither will rent well. You will be lucky to make MFs back. Only exception, would be if using MGV via FC to reserve a FL beach week...which may rent above MFs for the right week.

Aruba may be another, but likely at a slightly higher entrance price with higher MFs. Rent will be significantly more potential but makes your II exchanges less valuable. Aruba also has a lock-off (a huge plus in my view.)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As others have indicated, Grande Vista and Grande Chateau tend to be the consistent resorts that come up when this question is asked. They have reasonable MFs, lock-off, and have high travel demand if the right week is reserved. This allows great flexibility and opportunity of exchanging via II. I would suggest Plat season on both. I would suggest a 3BR vs 2BR at either. The small extra cost is outweighed by the additional trade power, potential rent, and villa size flexibility.

I own at MGV, and it has traded wonderfully over the past 15+ yrs. The plus to Grande Chateau is that the 3BR exchanges as a 2BR/1BR, whereas the 3BR at Grande Vista is only 2BR/Efficiency. The plus to Grande Vista is that some weeks can exchange into other MVC resorts via the Florida Club without using II. Since Orlando doesn't rent well (way too overbuild with accommodations), this can be valuable if you reserve a week at another MVC in FC on the beach (Ocean Pointe, Beachplace Towers).

For rent, neither will rent well. You will be lucky to make MFs back. Only exception, would be if using MGV via FC to reserve a FL beach week...which may rent above MFs for the right week.

Aruba may be another, but likely at a slightly higher entrance price with higher MFs. Rent will be significantly more potential but makes your II exchanges less valuable. Aruba also has a lock-off (a huge plus in my view.)
HI and Aruba will rent well but the up front costs and fees will be more than the upgrade fees. Personally I would decide whether I wanted to use and rent or use and exchange and not try to split the difference between the 2. One of the best high end trader for a 2 BR at reasonable fees is Grande Ocean Gold but you've got to be proactive to get the best weeks. Ocean Pointe Gold also comes to mind and is a lockoff.

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on potential a resale Aruba Surf Club 2br floating gold for $5000 (subject to rofr). Good deal? Bad deal? Pros and cons either for usage or re talmor trading?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on potential a resale Aruba Surf Club 2br floating gold for $5000 (subject to rofr). Good deal? Bad deal? Pros and cons either for usage or re talmor trading?
My personal view is bad idea if it's for exchange and rental but could be good if you'll actually use it much of the time.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove

What view type is the week? $5000 is ok for Ocean side or ocean front but ocean view and garden view I wouldn’t pay over 4K. Pros - it’s a great resort to stay at (I own and love it), you can lock it off and trade with either side of the lock off, you can rent it and make a few bucks too!
Cons- the maint fees are high. If you trade it gets expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s a floating gold 2br/2ba “ocean side” view. Primarily would,be used for personal use here and there and otherwise a rental. Probably not for trading.

Question, whether for personal use or rental, can it be locked off and booked 2 different weeks one as the 1 Br unit and the other as a studio or must it always be booked as the 2br?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s a floating gold 2br/2ba “ocean side” view. Primarily would,be used for personal use here and there and otherwise a rental. Probably not for trading.

Question, whether for personal use or rental, can it be locked off and booked 2 different weeks one as the 1 Br unit and the other as a studio or must it always be booked as the 2br?
If you'll use it the majority of the time it's a reasonable purchase IMO, your OP suggested renting & trading. Of course view type has no bearing on trading but does on rental and usage. You could book 2 completely different weeks or consecutive weeks and you could do any combination of personal usage, rental or exchanging you wanted. What you can't do is reserve at 13 months out unless you have another week to combine to do so but I doubt you'll have much issue unless you want the 2 weeks around 7/4.

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most likely to use as a rental and personal use from time to time. Marriott is offering same floating gold on site in Aruba for approx. $18k. Only benefit with that is it converts to I believe 2575 points. But that in itself isn’t worth $13000 more. This is a destination where a fixed (floating) week is good enough

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
I think Aruba is fine IF you are going to use it yourself or rental (I'm not up with how much it rents for). Otherwise, I would personally stick with whatever is cheapest in MF and it acquire. I like WR and GC as they have the lowest fees and you can practically get them for free. I would keep an eye on eBay as there are tonnes of bargains all the time. I wouldn't pay a lot for a platinum trader when you can get it for free. I've been able to get difficult trades including spring break and Christmas time in Hawaii, so I'm not sure why all the concern about trading power as I've never had an issue. My thoughts are always how can I get this for the least amount of money and still get what I want. So far it has worked out well....but that's just my two cents.

I'm not as much of a fan of GV and the Desert resorts as the MF are higher by a couple hundred (which I know might not make that big of a difference but it does add up year after year), the cost to acquire it is more and the Desert resorts in California also charge the property tax on top separately increasing your overall cost of usage. Maybe I'm just being cheap, but I would rather not pay more than I need to, to get the same thing.....

stslc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside, MOC Sequel
Generally do members here feel red Week is a good indication of fair market value for rental rates?
I think Redweek is a very good example of a free market exchange of both sales and rentals. There is enough volume and exposure that it seems a fair indication of market values. They also provide some analytics that make getting a visual representation of pricing easy.

Reactions: jme

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I was having this conversation with somebody the other day and did not know the answer......Has anybody ever experienced the ability (through II, ownertrades or otherwise) to trade their 2br floating gold week for a 1br platinum week (peak period) week at the same or similar property? For example, if somebody had a 2br floating gold at Aruba Is there the possibility/ability to trade that for a 1br unit there during a platinum (peak) week? The 1br platinum owner is now getting a 2br unit (albeit during a different time) and the 2br gold owner is getting into a property during a more premium period.

regatta333

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Long Wharf, Wyndham points, Vistana Westin Kierland
How much is the lock-off fee?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I was having this conversation with somebody the other day and did not know the answer......Has anybody ever experienced the ability (through II, ownertrades or otherwise) to trade their 2br floating gold week for a 1br platinum week (peak period) week at the same or similar property? For example, if somebody had a 2br floating gold at Aruba Is there the possibility/ability to trade that for a 1br unit there during a platinum (peak) week? The 1br platinum owner is now getting a 2br unit (albeit during a different time) and the 2br gold owner is getting into a property during a more premium period.
I don't have specific examples for this exact situation but I have traded lessor properties and lower demand weeks for higher rated and higher demand resorts through II. RCI is a little different in that they essentially monetize the trade power and provide ways to upgrade but often at a cost to do so. Personally I've not been impressed with direct trade options as it seems to specialized, too difficult to find a match and that even if you find a situation where both sides are willing to consider it, the chances of both sides being happy with the terms are minimal at best. It's far easier to trade through a formal exchange company or rent out then rent what you want rather than trying to find a needle in a haystack. Realistically I'm not thinking it'd be easy to find someone who wants to trade a 1 BR Platinum for a 2 BR gold but it's not a major stretch either. Through II done correctly I'd say it's very possible to do so, both directions.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Thanks.

I've been able to trade a studio WR into Ko Olina & Maui Christmas and New Years in 1 br and 2 br units, its just being able to place an online request and doing constant manual searches on II. I'm not saying you will always get it, but I have had some good luck finding them. I don't think you need Aruba to find these trades if you are seeking to trade back into Aruba. Aruba seems to be fair accessible and I seem to see availability on a regular basis.

In terms of ownertrades, it might be possible but definitely on II.