TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Way to Avoid Salespeople

Discussion in 'Wyndham Vacation Resorts' started by tigergdav97, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Richelle

Richelle TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham National Harbor
    Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
    Bay Club of Sandestin
    Margaritaville St. Thomas
    Williamsburg Plantation
    Vacation Villages at Parkway
    Kozman likes this.
  2. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Richelle likes this.
  3. scootr5

scootr5 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Quarter House, Wyndham Avenue Plaza - Mardis Gras week, Wyndham points
    As others have said a couple of very firm "No"s will work (and if it does not, just walk away from the desk). Unless you are there on some sort of trial package, you have no obligation to attend any sales presentation/survey/breakfast. You owe them no explanation as to why you won't attend. There is no reason for you to pay a deposit to attend one, nor lose money by paying the deposit and not showing up. There is no reason to let them in to your room for a survey, or to "make sure the room is OK".

I've had 25+ stays and never attended one, nor do I intend to.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Abrams Firm, Kozman, klpca and 5 others like this.
  4. louisianab

louisianab TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham
    Be firm. Unplug the phone. Give them no hope. and walk away. Being pretty much rude at Wyndhams will usually get them to leave. I've become more brisk over the years and they give up. Wyndham Glacier Canyon last week were talking about how pleasant I was before I was out of the room (I'm being sarcastic - pleasant wasn't the word they used)

dstacy969 and scootr5 like this.
  5. Richelle

Richelle TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham National Harbor
    Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
    Bay Club of Sandestin
    Williamsburg Plantation
    A lot of times they will withhold the parking passes until you agree to go or they give up. Luckily, some places don’t need them so you can walk away. Other ones you do. Reunion and Sea watch come to mind. It’s not always as simple as saying no and walking away. Sometimes you have to get darn right rude before they give up and that irks me the most. I hate having to be rude to someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kozman and dstacy969 like this.
  6. scootr5

scootr5 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Quarter House, Wyndham Avenue Plaza - Mardis Gras week, Wyndham points
    I do to, and I'm polite the first couple of times. One of the first times at Glacier Canyon after three nos I turned around and walked back to the check in desk in the lobby to tell them quite loudly that I was having trouble getting my parking pass. That ended the situation quickly.

The lead guy at Glacier Canyon knows me when I walk in at this point, and tells whoever is up that I won't do the presentation and to just give me my stuff.

7. dcdowden

dcdowden TUG Member

We also own at Westin Kierland Villas and we still do updates there because the salespeople don't lie to us like the Wyndham sales people have done repeatedly. We have not done a Wyndham update in a very long time because of the incessant lies. Usually my wife goes to pick up the parking pass and tells the person that I will divorce her if she agrees to do an update. That, plus repeatedly saying no seems to work.

Kozman likes this.
  8. jwalk03

jwalk03 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I had the strangest experience ever the last time I stayed at Glacier Canyon. They didn’t even ask me to attend at all! Never brought it up. It was very strange! Lol

9. JohnPaul

JohnPaul TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
    The following worked at a recent times share (Shell) stay. At the parking pass desk “ I am great thank you. Hope you’re doing well too. I just want my parking pass and will not be attending a presentation.” When they called at 9 AM the next morning “ I was sleeping. My room is terrific. I don’t want to attend a presentation. Goodbye.” Didn’t hear anything more.

dstacy969 likes this.
  10. dstacy969

dstacy969 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Club Wyndham Access
    I think the only exception is Disney Vacation Club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Kozman

Kozman TUG Member

Lesson learned. Do not let them in!

12. lisa1001

lisa1001 TUG Member

I have found that ignoring them at a presentation frustrates them beyond belief and they can't wait to get you out of there with gift in hand.

I always attend the presentation if the weather is bad and I have a little time to kill as I figure I might as well earn a dinner. I politely listen shake my head in agreement but stay silent - no small talk , not anything. I exchange a few glances with my very annoyed husband who is angry at me for dragging him there as he shakes his head no.

I found that lack of communication works best

Kozman and dagger1 like this.
  13. swditz

swditz TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    westgate palace wk 52
    briarwood cape cod wk 30
    surfside cape cod wk 41
    falls at Ogunquit wk 21
    discovery beach wk 7
    captains quarters wk 38
    65000 inn season points
    We stay at Westgate every year and that has not been a problem. At check in there is an option of not getting sales calls. I always check no and have never received a call or knock on the door. They do give us a "welcome package" and try to get us to sign up but I always decline. Not to say they are not unscrupulous in the presentation however!!!

14. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
    Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
    I'm thinking of a certain scene in Blazing Saddles that might be effective in this situation....

dago and Iggyearl like this.
  15. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

MVC, Hyatt, HGVC, and Vistana are the only companies we will do presentations with. We go for discounted promo stays to extend our vacations and nice gifts. Not high pressure. Thanks to TUG we avoid the rest - especially Mexico, Wastegate, Diamond.

Perhaps the strangest parking pass ploy was at Grandview where we had an RCI getaway. The rep said, "Here is your pass, what time do you want to have breakfast?" It took us off guard when he said, "You don't want free breakfast with your room?" because it came across like a free hotel breakfast included in our stay. We finally discerned that it was for a presentation. Politely said "No" and they didn't bother us after that...Wow, to think we could have been roped into a presentation for $3 scrambled eggs.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  16. Armada

Armada TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Barony Beach
    Old Town Alexandria
    La Belle Maison
    After telling the sales critters no a couple of times, I ask them how loudly I should say no. I start softly and by the the time I up the volume a two or three times, they give up. I had voice training in my youth and can be >very< loud.

Kozman and Sandi Bo like this.
  17. Richelle

Richelle TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham National Harbor
    Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
    Bay Club of Sandestin
    Williamsburg Plantation
    You could also learn how to say "No" in a couple of languages. When you say "No" in Russian or French, and they look at you weird say, "Well, you didn't understand me when I said No in English, so I assumed you do not understand English very well. I thought I might have better luck with German. Should I try French? Maybe Cantonese? Pig Latin?" It might get them a bit annoyed, but when they ignore your several no's, it's called for.

18. mpizza

mpizza TUG Member

I usually say that I am in the middle of a real estate transaction and my investment funds are tied-up. They seem to like that answer.

I leave out the fact that I am a Realtor so I am always involved in a real estate transaction.

Maria

19. ascully0

ascully0 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham
    We frequent Bonnet Creek, Shawnee, Smokey Mountains, and Atlantic City.
    By far the worst push we have gotten is from the Smokey Mountains, and they take deposits.

20. dgalati

dgalati TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grand Desert
    National Harbor
    They take deposits only if you give it to them. I refused to give a deposit on many occasions. This never stopped them from still pushing the sales pitch

21. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
    Not being rude?? I can't imagine how anyone starting their vacation with the resort staff refusing to give them their required parking pass would want to be polite to such a person. Thankfully (for those staff) I've never stayed at such a resort.

What if the valet said we can't park your car until you agree to attend a presentation? Polite?

What if the desk agent withheld your keys or refused to check you in until you agreed to attend a presentation? Not rude? Wouldn't you come out of your skin and go nuts?

What if a pool attendant kept you from going in until you agreed to a presentation? smiles?

Abrams Firm likes this.
  22. MaryBella7

MaryBella7 TUG Member

I think I finally made it on the illustrious Do Not Sell list somehow. Checked into Williamsburg, which has been one of the more pushy places, and they didn't even offer me an update. I am ecstatic!

Sandi Bo, TheHolleys87 and dstacy969 like this.
  23. dgalati

dgalati TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grand Desert
    National Harbor
    Checked into Wyndham Grand Chicago last Friday. Not real pushy but it took 3 times saying no. I told them I didnt want to waste any ones time and I attended 6 of them this year and it always turns into a hard sell.

24. BJRSanDiego

BJRSanDiego TUG Member

I think that I am in the same spot with Marriott. They now very rarely invite me to any update. I never have had much of a problem saying "no" and getting pestered. Perhaps some people just look like they are "ripe fruit ready for the picking" for the sales people. They look at me and think that I'm a prune that is a bit over-ripe. Ha ha.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    JohnPaul and dgalati like this.
  25. Kozman

Kozman TUG Member

I just had the worst sales presentation ever at my ownership at Sunrise Ridge in Pigeon Forge. Diamond bought in to the resort by taking over the foreclosed units and promptly voted 2 of their employees on the board. I had a fixed week that transforms into Amber points if you do not book at the 6 month period. With Amber points you can book on a available basis at several resorts. So I was there with my Amber reservation. MDW answered the phone and it was the sales weasels. All the while I was shaking my head NO she was told that there was a new procedure in making our reservations and that we would be getting a new membership number. She agreed to a 90 minute update for $75. Bottom line the update was almost 3 hours and we had to suffer 6 different obnoxious people before leaving with a Mastercard that expired at the end of the month!!!! Never ever go to a Diamond update...nothing but lies. Not once did they discuss the proposed reason for us to attend.

dgalati likes this.