• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best way to own/trade into NYC?

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
opinions please:
What have you found the best way to get into NYC, especially during holiday months? Is is by owning or trading? Which companies do you recommend?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Hilton has several properties in NYC (West 57, Hilton Club, and Residences). You need to own or rent to get holiday periods and premium units. Trading for HGVC owners who do not own NYC opens only 45 days prior to check-in and NYC properties have slim pickings at that point.

Last edited:

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Last year I got a Manhattan Club July 4th week through SFX Resorts. There were no extra fees. I put the request in several months in advance and asked for any July or August week.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year I got a Manhattan Club July 4th week through SFX Resorts. There were no extra fees. I put the request in several months in advance and asked for any July or August week.
What did you deposit and what size unit did you get? I gave up on the MC. It is just too expensive and it has too many rules. I live close enough to NYC to get there easily without putting up with their shenanigans

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What did you deposit and what size unit did you get? I gave up on the MC. It is just too expensive and it has too many rules. I live close enough to NYC to get there easily without putting up with their shenanigans
It was a 1 BR HICV Las Vegas Desert Club. I got a 1 BR over a year in advance of check in date.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does HIVC mean Holiday Inn Club or were you going for HIlton Grande Vacations Club?

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
Holiday Inn Club Vacations
Oh really. Well that’s great because I own with Holiday Inn, maybe I can trade into NY

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh really. Well that’s great because I own with Holiday Inn, maybe I can trade into NY
If you have a float week, book the best possible one to give them. They are running a deposit special right now. For a high season Las Vegas week they are offering 3 years to use the week, 2 bonus weeks, $100 off an exchange and a free 4 nt vacation in Puerto Vallarta ( not sure if there are strings attached to that). If you give them a wide range of dates , they should be able to get you something in NY. They only let you exchange to NY once every 3 or 4 years.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you have a float week, book the best possible one to give them. They are running a deposit special right now. For a high season Las Vegas week they are offering 3 years to use the week, 2 bonus weeks, $100 off an exchange and a free 4 nt vacation in Puerto Vallarta ( not sure if there are strings attached to that). If you give them a wide range of dates , they should be able to get you something in NY. They only let you exchange to NY once every 3 or 4 years.
Gotcha. Even more important to us than New York City is San Diego Ca and our HICV does not have resorts there either.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gotcha. Even more important to us than New York City is San Diego Ca and our HICV does not have resorts there either.
I do see San Diego come up both in RCI weeks and points.
I know SFX has Resorts in San Francisco, but I’m not sure about San Diego.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just joined on the 6 month diamond trial however I'm not sure how they do points. I will call to talk with them.

JuliGee

Reaction score
opinions please:
What have you found the best way to get into NYC, especially during holiday months? Is is by owning or trading? Which companies do you recommend?

Exchanging into NY during the holiday months is usually extremely difficult. We have exchanged into both Manhattan Club and Hilton Grand Vacations Club on a number of occasions using SFX, but you really need to be flexible with dates. Owning would give you a much better chance for holiday months. The maintenance fees at the Manhattan Club I think are around $2,500? Have no idea what they are at Hilton.

Juli

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
If you really like NYC and want to go frequently then I recommend buying there. We own HGVC and are very happy with it. Of course it's pricier than most, even resale.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The maintenance fees at the Manhattan Club I think are around $2,500? Have no idea what they are at Hilton.

Juli

Hilton West 57 has perhaps of the lowest maintenance fees in NYC at around $1400 for a 5250 point studio. Because West 57 has an owner-only resort reservation period, it is relatively easy to upgrade a studio to a one bedroom or penthouse by using points for a shorter stay, or borrowing points from a future year. Units can be reserved for as little as one night ($85 cleaning fee for stays less than 3 nights). Owners also have access to open season cash rates 15 days prior to arrival to stretch their ownership further. There is an owner's lounge with free breakfast and evening drinks which helps defray travel costs, but this is unfortunately not available to traders.

I have also read that Manhattan Club has experienced legal difficulties. (Probably okay to trade but would conduct extensive due diligence before owning.) Hilton is rock solid and treats their owners well.

Last edited: