TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Best weeks to own for internal ski exchanges

Discussion in 'Hyatt Residence Club' started by ski_sierra, Oct 9, 2019.

1. ski_sierra

ski_sierra TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark, HGVC Craigendarroch, MGC (EOYE), SDO (EOYO)
    I'm considering buying into the Hyatt system. I have ready the info on http://www.bywindkal.com/HVC.htm and the stickies and my head is spinning. If Hyatt properties weren't as nice, I wouldn't put up with this complexity!:D

We are a family of 3. My daughter's school district gets week 7 and week 14 or 15 off. Occasionally friends come with us on trips.

Is it possible to get any of these using wait lists regularly?
    • Beaver Creek studio for weeks 51, 52, 7 and 14/15 (in years when ski resort is open). 750 points max.
    • Aspen studio for week 7 and 14/15 : 750 points as well.
    • 2 BR @ High Sierra Lodge various weekends (Sat to Tue) in Feb/Mar/April. I can go during Dec/Jan if conditions are good and there is availability. 920 to 1120 points.
    • 1 BR in Maui but it's not that important as I have access using SDO trades. 1450 points
    • Thanksgiving @ Highlands Inn (2 hour drive).

LCUP

I'd prefer not to send points to II. I hope to use points during LCUP for weekend trips at HSL (ski season) or Highlands Inn (anytime). Any comments on availability at those locations during LCUP?

What to own?

Which would be a good week to own in this scenario? A few options:
    • Gold week 8 or 9 at HSL. I will occasionally use this week myself. MF ~1485. Price $3-4K?
    • Platinum week 22 to 25 at Wild Oak (very low chance of using it myself). MF ~1265. Price $4-5k?
    • Platinum Week 12-14, 18-21 at Sedona. MF ~1100. Price $5-6k?
    • Other?
    I have not considered a Diamond week at WOR, or Pinon Pointe as the buy-in cost is hard to justify as it's unlikely we would ever go there. I'm not looking to exchange for a 2200 points week, so is there any reason to own a Diamond week?

Other questions:
    • How many waitlists can you have?
    • Can you have waitlists during LCUP?
    • Can you combine points from next year during this year's LCUP? I don't mind pre-paying MF.
    • Can you modify reservation (move dates or resort) or you have to pay cancellation fee and then another reservation fee?
    Any other tips?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  2. DAman

DAman TUG Member

High Sierra is easy to get during the winter months. I have been there during week 7 a couple of times. There always appear to be lots of time available during February, March and April. A quick look shows every weekend in March is available now for a three night stay. Also plenty of availability in December and January.

I own a late June and mid July weeks in Sedona. I like them because I can use my points during ski season(6 months in advance) and if no trades are available I transfer the points to II or use them at Highlands Inn before my last date to transfer to EEE.

LCUP points are too hard to use IMHO.

ski_sierra likes this.
  3. grevas1

grevas1 Guest

One can "borrow" points from upcoing year but you will have to pay MF fees, as well as a $41 transaction fee. You will also have to pay a $41 transaction fee for every wait list request submitted.

ski_sierra likes this.
  4. ski_sierra

ski_sierra TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Thanks. Great to know. I got a getaway for week 8 this year. Week 7 was also available but since this is the last year in pre-school for my daughter, I picked a more uncrowded week.

Interesting. Sedona looks promising due to low MF. What would be a good buy-in price for a June week?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  5. ski_sierra

ski_sierra TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Got it. So this $41 to borrow is different from the reservation fee? So you would end up paying $82 for a reservation that uses LCUP points and next year points?
    Do you get your $41 fee back if your wait list does not match?
    Also, Can you do waitlists with LCUP points?

6. Marathoner

Marathoner TUG Member

I own a Hyatt week. Except in rare circumstances, you will never get a studio in weeks 7, 51, and 52 at Beaver Creek or Aspen. You may be able to get it at Breckenridge. You will be able to get it at Hyatt High Sierra. You should be able to get week 15 at all three ski resorts.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

ski_sierra likes this.
  7. Sapper

Sapper Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

If you want week 7 at the Colorado properties or Northstar, I would suggest you buy week 7. High Sierra there should be some availability. Breck will still be open week 14/15, and supposedly the Spring skiing there is great, but I have not experienced it. I have seen availability for these weeks in Breck. Aspen and Beaver Creek might shut operations down before these weeks in a bad snow year or stay open if it’s good like last year. I have seen these weeks up for grabs. Weeks 51/52 tend to be tough to get at most properties because that’s when kids are out of school and people get vacation days from work.

You can have an unlimited number of waitlist requests. You are only charged the $41 when the waitlist matches a unit, you are not charged when you create the request. If you cancel the waitlist request before it matches a unit, there is no charge.

If you call to make the reservation, I think you can combine LCUP and CUP points, however, the use must be in the next 60 days.

You can waitlist using LCUP points, however, the use week needs to be in the next 60 days.

Modifying dates means a cancellation fee plus another reservation fee.

I would strongly suggest using points before they hit LCUP. Think of LCUP as the backup plan.

If you are not going to use the fixed unit / fixed week feature of the Hyatt system, then points are points and possibly all you care about is the maintenance fee per point; Pinion Pointe is the leader in that department. Maintenance fees can change in the future. You never know if or when there may be a dramatic increase... as it sounds Highlands Inn will be experiencing an 8% increase this year <OUCH>. However, my guess is Pinion Pointe will remain the lowest maintenance fee property. There have been long drawn out debates on TUG regarding buying a lower purchase price unit with higher maintenance fees vs a higher purchase price with lower maintenance fees. You will have to decide which is best for you.

SteelerGal and ski_sierra like this.
  8. ski_sierra

ski_sierra TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Thanks for the feedback. I am not interested in going to Breck. Northstar could have been useful but I read somewhere that they don't have too many units there so it's always hard to go. HSL ski weeks are easy to get with II trades. I bought a getaway for week 8, 2020 for around ~$900. Cost to exchange with SDO would be similar. A weekend stay using Hyatt points would be 920 to 1100 points, so once you factor in the purchase price, the cost is similar as a full week exchange. Probably one can get the points reservation easier than the exchange booking. So the advantage is small.

A Sedona platinum week just sold for $4450 plus closing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/312787714060?ul_noapp=true

I will think about this a little bit more before proceeding.

9. SteelerGal

SteelerGal TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
    I originally wanted to purchase HHS but decided to go EOYE HPP 1880pts. Cost was less than $2500 including closing. Deals are out there so keep looking.

ski_sierra likes this.
  10. ski_sierra

ski_sierra TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HPP is pinon pointe? Do you pay some extra fees for owning EOY? Like club fees every year in HGVC?

11. ski_sierra

ski_sierra TUG Member

Resorts Owned:

I know you are big into skiing. How do you use your Hyatt points for skiing ?

12. SteelerGal

SteelerGal TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
    Yes to both.

13. PerryKing

PerryKing TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico. Mexico: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club and Mayan Palace.
    Actually you just do a $41 Guarantee via your credit Card when you submit your Wait list request, then the $41 is only actually charged to your Credit Card if Hyatt fills and confirms your request. Thus you only pay $41 and it becomes the reservation fee that would be due anyway. OK?

Sapper and ski_sierra like this.
  14. Marathoner

Marathoner TUG Member

I do like skiing and my timeshare ownership revolves around it. I use my Hyatt points to ski at a 2BR at Hyatt Main Street Station every year at Breckenridge.

Breckenridge is a more challenging mountain than Vail and Beaver Creek. That said, there are great aspects to skiing at both Vail and Beaver Creek.

DAman and ski_sierra like this.
  15. PerryKing

PerryKing TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico. Mexico: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club and Mayan Palace.
    YES, You can use any points and you are also offered an option to "protect" any points that you do not want used.

ski_sierra likes this.
  16. PerryKing

PerryKing TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Generally and most years , there is no skiing in week 15 at Breckenridge. or even at Beaver Creek either.

17. Marathoner

Marathoner TUG Member

This is inaccurate. There is decent week 15 skiing every year at Breckenridge. At 13,000 feet, snow preserves very well into late April.

18. ski_sierra

ski_sierra TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. I have decided to skip the Hyatt system. Risk reward ratio is not favorable for me. I will continue to use II Exchanges/Getaways to go to HSL during ski season.

19. Powderday

Powderday Guest

The High Alpine at Breck is usually decent in April. Whatever else is open, will be boilerplate in the morning and a slushy crowded mess in the afternoon. If you have good ski ability it would be worth it, otherwise I wouldn't waste the points or buy an April week.

ski_sierra likes this.