• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bicycles at drive-up windows

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Any other bikers out there? I've been riding my bike to pick up prescriptions at the Walgreens drive-up window for several years. Yesterday when I went, the guy at the window said I couldn't pick it up on a bike. Are motorcycles allowed? "yes". If they are, why aren't bicycles? "It's not safe". I grumbled some and went in. When I picked up my scripts I politely asked bunch of questions. Has there been a change in policy? Is the policy in writing? Why isn't there a bike rack out front? Did you know when I have to lock my bike to the sign it partially blocks the entrance? The young woman at the counter couldn't answer any of the questions. I asked if there was a manager that could answer the questions. She found the pharmacy manager, and she couldn't answer the questions either. I asked if the store manager on duty could answer the questions. He couldn't either. Nobody except the guy at the window was aware of any policy about bikers picking up scripts at the window. The manager on duty promised to talk to the store manager when he got back in town, and let me know.

I wear a helmet, and I have very bright blinkers on the front and back of my bike. I really can't understand why I shouldn't be allowed to pick up scripts at the window.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I stopped going to Walgreens for stupid things like this. My last straw was when I needed 4 scripts filled a few days before I was leaving for Hawaii, and found out almost too late that they didn't fill one. I moved my scripts to Publix because they offer some great deals and some of my scripts are free there.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) I have a bike that I run all over for errands, too, and have also been told when I've tried to use a drive up at a bank that I can't do that, even though I never see any rules, signage about this.
2) Helmet or no helmet is irrelevant in my opinion. It's akin to whether or not you wear a seatbelt when driving. Your choice.
3) I agree on Walgreens -- I am so sick of them that I moved my prescriptions to my local grocery store. Every time I would go to Walgreens to pick up , drop off a prescription the line was way too long!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd like to hear the explanation of why motorcycles are allowed at the drive-up window, but not a bicycle. That's baffling. Did the guy produce some printed policy of the store or chain that proclaimed that bicyclists should not be served?

Heck, back in my semi driving time, I would walk up to a Drive-in window to get an order. I would wait across the driveway so as to not be in the way of cars, but the clerk would always signal me when my order was ready.

Add your experience to the many reasons I boycott Walgreens.A

Jim

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I've seen "no pedestrian" signs on drive-up windows, but never one about bikes or even skateboards.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I mean, I ride my bike on the actual road with cars passing at full speed. There should be nothing particularly dangerous about taking my bike through a drive-through where any car behind me is already prepared to come to a full stop.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I was out on a ride and stopped at a local (non chain) drive through once to try to get a drink. They refused to serve me from the drive through. Told me to leave the bike outside and walk in to order. I had no bike lock and a rather expensive bike, told them I wasn’t gonna do that. The guy at the window still refused to serve me, so off I rode, no purchase made. Of course I never went back.

They have since gone out of business. Good!

Zero understanding of why such a policy would be in place.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I certainly don't understand the logic of the store in this matter. A pedestrian maybe, but a bicycle is still considered a vehicle, certainly under the Highway Traffic Act here in Ontario. It's not like everyone in cars is blasting through the drive-thru at 60 mph and the bikes can't keep up. Most drive-thru lanes move pretty slowly, IME.

And here in Ontario, bike helmets may be optional for adults, but seat belts for all passengers are certainly not a matter of choice. And for anyone who decides a bike helmet is not a good idea, please talk to my friend who fell while riding his bike and hit his head on the curb. He was severely injured and took almost two years to recover. He says to send anyone to him who thinks it should be an option!!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Idaho, they're lucky the person picking up a 'script isn't on a horse!

Jim

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may want to show up with a bike group and protest it.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
In Idaho, they're lucky the person picking up a 'script isn't on a horse!

Jim

I'm just smiling when thinking about the possible responses to poor service...... :D:D:D

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
You may want to show up with a bike group and protest it.
Even better, have each member of the group use the drive up .... one at a time.

I don't see the sense in preventing bikers from using a drive thru either. I have walked up to a local bank drive thru on many occasions because the bank is located adjacent to the parking lot of the local grocery store. No biggie here.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe Walgreen was worried you were not going to pay and ride off into sunset on your bike.
Also, maybe they were worried because you did not have a state license plate on your bike.LOL.:doh::D

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I moved my scripts to Publix because they offer some great deals and some of my scripts are free there.

Publix: Antibiotics and 3 others I use are free. Very convenient.
Their pharmacist knows me on sight and asks about retirement.
DW changed her Medicare drug plan to one that includes them.
If they're out of something, they call CVS to see if they have it.

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bet they think it is too close to a pedestrian, and other people would start doing so to avoid a line inside. Dumb if that is the case, since the people probably drove up in a car and would use the drive-through unless they had another reason to go in the store.