• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big Island or Kauai after Oahu/Honolulu? + Resort recommendations

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
mmmmhm

I get your drift. But...
Kapolei and Kaanapali have a lot less in common than different IMO.

Let's start with the 'lagoon' vs the beach and whale soup.

Not 'raggin on the place.....or disparaging the resort. Just not comparing.

Kaanapali

upload_2018-8-14_15-50-1.png

Kapolei

upload_2018-8-14_16-1-48.png

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I definitely agree with Dave above! We have been to Oahu many times, always to visit our son who was stationed at the Kaneohe Marine Air Station and who lived in Kailua. We loved visiting Waikiki, but they were just day trips or one nighters (at Hale Koa or the HHV.). Oahu is much more than Honolulu. A fabulous island.

Good ol’ Kailua. My pseudo hometown. I graduated from high school there. Just before electricity was invented. ;)

Dave

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Good ol’ Kailua. My pseudo hometown. I graduated from high school there. Just before electricity was invented. ;)

Dave
It’s a great little town. You were very lucky to have those youthful days in paradise.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to All again, your advice is certainly appreciated and considered. With that said, here's what my family and I have decided on after discussions on the advice and reviews:

- After scouring through tons of pics, reviews and suggestions here; Kauai seems to be calling our name. It reminds me of one of our favorite destinations, Costa Rica.
- Plus after vacationing with 26+ family members, Kauai seems to be the contrast we need :D
- We did think about extending our stay in Oahu but this will be our 2nd trip there (1st time was in Waikiki at Hilton Hawaiian Village) and my daughter is based in Kāneʻohe Bay so she definitely just wants to get off the island.
- Maui looks gorgeous but that will probably be the family reunion vacation for 2020 so God willing, it will be Maui and the Big Island for 2020 :)

So now off to the next dilemma - Which timeshare in Kauai :ponder:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Oh darn well Kauai it will be. So some info on Kauai. It is only 63 miles from Hanalei in the north to Barking Sands in the southwest. But it will take you at least 2 hours to drive that route. Kauai has one 2 lane Highway from the north to the Southwest There is a short stretch near Lihue that is 4 lane. You can not go to to Ke'e (end of road) Beach in the north. The Highway is closed after Hanalei due to the Hugh rains and floods this last April. They have 2 to 4 convoys a day on that part of the Highway for residents only. Maybe if we are lucky the road and all the bridges will be repaired by next May.

Normally when we go we spend 2 to 3 weeks and divide it between Princeville and Poipu/Koloa areas. Many people also stay in Kapa'a and Lihu'e. These are more centrally located. Poipu Beach is a nice swimming Beach. Lawai is good snorkeling. You can also snorkel at Poipu. Up north a good swimming and snorkeling beach is Anini Beach. It is triple reef protected. For the more adventuresome there is Hideaways Beach in Princeville. There are 2 ways to get to Hideaways: 1. Take Kayaks from Hanalei; 2. Hike down the cliff in Princeville. Either way take all food, drink, supplies, etc that you will need for the day. If the Highway is open by next May Ke'e Beach is also a good snorkeling and swimming beach.

Waimea Canyon is always a fun day for us. Take a picnic lunch. Drive to the top. Than hike a bit further past the parking area. Have a picnic in the Park area by the top. Then stop at all the View Points on the way down.

If you like to attend a Luau all the major hotel/resorts have them. But the two we prefer are Smith Family by Kapa'a and Kilohana by Lihu'e. Smith Family tends to be more broad and will have dances/singing representing the different ethnic groups that have settled in the Islands. Kilohana will tell the story of the Polynesians finding and settling Hawaii through song and dance.

We have enjoyed zip lining in Koloa. In Lihu'e there is a company that you take you on a inner tube float down the old sugar cane canals. There were dug by hand. There are several tunnels on the float. These were also dug by hand. There is kayaking up the Wailua River in Kapa'a. If you are really really adventuresome there is the Kalalau Trail along the Napali Cliffs. This is only doable if the road to Ke'e Beach is open. This is not a simple hike. It is an arduous hike. The first 2 up and down miles will take you to a beach. No swimming unless you want to get sucked out into the North Pacific. Then it is 2 miles up to the Hanakapiai Water Fall. This is a beautiful 300 foot waterfall. Bring water shoes if you want to swim in the pool as there are sharp rocks. Take lots and lots of water. Also food to eat at the waterfall. This is a hard 8 miles round trip. I think it took us 8 hours maybe 10. But that included a 30 minute break at the beach and an hour at the Waterfall. It helps if you have trek sticks.

We absolute love Kauai. Unfortunately it is getting more crowed every year. It is Patti's favorite Island.

stodgman

Reaction score
You chose wisely. Kauai is the best. I love Maui. I especially love Maui during whale season but . . . it is Kauai.
It is called "The Garden Isle" for a reason. All Hawaii is lush but Kauai is a vibrant green.
It is smaller there. It is slower there. It is less crowded there. It is friendlier there.
There are lots of nice resorts with swimming/snorkeling beaches. There are enough amazing sights to see that you can fill your week with day trips.
We generally stay in (and highly recommend) the southern (sunny) Poipu area although the Princeville area is also very nice.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Good choice on Kauai based on the activities your family is interested in.