TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Board of Directors Election

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by Tokapeba, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Tokapeba

Tokapeba TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Mountainside, Worldmark, Ridge Tahoe
    I got an email today asking for nominations for the board nominations at my home resort. I’m a weeks owner and own 2 weeks at Marriott Mountainside.

I’ve been in the hospitality industry for 40 years and have been timesharing for about 20 years with 5 different resort companies. I will retire this year and am interested in considering applying for a seat on the board.

I searched this forum and found one email asking for advice with choosing a candidate at Ko-olina. https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...d-of-director-candidates.278955/#post-2187564

All seem extremely qualified and have been on many boards. If the pool is like this at all Marriott’s how can a regular guy get in?

How much effort and time does being on the board require?

2. dgf15215

dgf15215 TUG Member

I would think that being in the industry for 40 years and timesharing for 20 with 5 different resort companies would be a great qualification. I've tired of looking over these short resumes sent out and basing on my vote on them so I tend to vote for those not yet sitting on the board as my primary qualifier. Fair? No, not really. Options? Elect the same people over and over. Not a great range of choices based on such a small amount of information.

AJCts411 and amycurl like this.
  3. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

On the other hand, most people will likely vote for those with similar experience as someone on the board needs to be off and running as opposed to voting for someone who will need time to learn the ropes.

4. bazzap

bazzap Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

The amount of effort and time required for being on the board is largely down to what members are prepared to commit to.
    Typically, for our home resorts, it involves preparation for and attendance at (possibly on occasions by teleconference) twice a year board / AGM meetings to address budget / action plans / issues, plus ongoing communications throughout the year with fellow board members, MVC management and other owners where they make contact with questions.
    Beyond that, many will be more pro-active, meeting other owners when on site, participating in owner forums, owner blogs, facebook owner groups...etc
    So there are minimum expectations, but many will offer much more.

5. Quilter

Quilter Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

We own at 4 different resorts. For the elections of 3 we vote best we can and hope it goes well. On the fourth we are very familiar with several board members. One thing that’s been pointed out to me is the members need a personality to work well with each other and with Marriott. Otherwise the term of service doesn’t run effectively.

bazzap likes this.
  6. drlee

drlee TUG Member

While once in awhile owners get nominated, via response to messages from the association, far too many votes are owned by Marriott, either vis trust weeks or owned weeks. We have seen very little success for non-local, non Marriott-affiliated candidates.

7. bazzap

bazzap Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Th
    This is very much a US resort issue.
    In Europe, there are no Trust points and all Board members are regular owners.
    In Asia Pacific, there are separate Boards for weeks owners and AP points owners, but even then the Board members are regular owners.
    Even though MVC ownership allows them a large voting right, they choose not to cast those votes and leave the choice for regular owners to vote for other regular owner candidates.

8. bbts

bbts TUG Member

I have been very frustrated at the lack of information available about candidates for the board at the properties we own. I typically receive a brief bio on each candidate, and based on that information, I am asked to choose from those candidates. Except for occasional mention on the Facebook pages for a particular property, I don't have any real information on a candidate's views, especially as it relates to the budgets for the property. Would this site be an appropriate forum for candidates running for the board of a timeshare to share her/his views, and have an exchange of views on issues relating to that property? If a subgroup could be created for this purpose, there could be separate areas for each property, and candidates could use the board as a place to share their views when they decide to run for the board of that property.

9. SueDonJ

SueDonJ Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
    Yes, people who run for board positions at their home resorts can use TUG to let other owners know that they're running, and if they want, to expand on the short bios that MVW sends out with the Annual Meeting/Proxy Vote package. A significant downside to that, though, may be that MVW monitors TUG and they're generally not receptive to people who have a large social media presence/following. It's not impossible to overcome that and gain the votes necessary but it's something to be aware of if you're considering it.

There hasn't been enough interest to generate a TUG sub-forum but posting a new thread here in the Marriott forum will reach any TUG readers who own at the resort.