TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Boeing Produces its 10,000th 737

Discussion in 'Vacation Travel Information' started by T_R_Oglodyte, Mar 13, 2018.

1. T_R_Oglodyte

T_R_Oglodyte TUG Lifetime Member

And the 737 has also been significant for us as timeshare owners. The 737 has been a major factor in expanding air travel to the masses. When I was a boy, air travel was rare. Most "ordinary" people, such as in the neighborhood where I grew up, never set foot in an airplane.

When families went on vacation, they went by car. And if you couldn't get there by car, you didn't go. Going to a place such as Hawaii or the Caribbean - or even California if you lived in the eastern US - was a fantasy. Maybe something you did once in a lifetime. Boeing changed that, with the 707, then the 727, and now the 737.

Heb Kelleher, the founder of Southwest Airlines, commented that he didn't view other airlines as his competitors. He thought that his competition was the private auto, and his goal was to make traveling by air more sensible than traveling by car.

Boeing’s 737 hits historic milestone: 10,000 planes produced

DaveNW and turkel like this.
  2. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    Say what you will about Boeing, but they do make a quality aircraft. Kudos.

Dave

3. T_R_Oglodyte

T_R_Oglodyte TUG Lifetime Member

An interesting thing about Boeing that most people don't realize is that it wasn't until the early 1960s (shortly after the 707 was introduced in 1958) that Boeing became a significant player in commercial aviation. Before and after WWII, the commercial airlines manufacturers were Douglas and Lockheed, who were producing propeller aircraft, and didn't believe that pure jets were a viable commercial option. They expected that the industry would transition to turboprops.

Boeing leadership essentially bet the company on jet aircraft, introducing the 707. The 707 was a huge success, and remade the airline industry. McDonnell and Douglas merged to stay alive, and Lockheed exited the commercial airline business. Boeing really didn't face any serious competition until the emergence of AirBus.

In 1953 my parents bought a house in Richfield, Minnesota, just a few miles from what is now MSP airport. (I still remember the original Wold-Chamberlin terminal, located on the opposite (NW corner) of the airport site from where the current terminal was built in the 1960s). We had a lot of airport noise later on. When the first jet flights came into MSP in the 1960s, I remember airport officials saying that they didn't expect that there would ever be more than about 10 jet flights per week.