• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Booking Florida Gulf and Plantation Beach Club online is here!!!!!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I was in the beachfront building but had no view. The foliage blocks the view on the first floor units.

There are stairs to these units if that’s a concern. No elevators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh keep it, fantastic lanai overlooking the gulf, covered lanai with padded loungers table and chairs. We had the non gulf front and would not do that again. There are a lot of stairs. The first floor is above the garage, and the second floor is above that. Climbing those cement stairs to top floor did my knee in last year. Within a few days, I was limping badly, had to have my replacement pushed up.
Unit I believe is on second floor E202. I will keep it for now and will cancel if I can get a Key West week. Right now I can do the steps, hopefully that continues as in the past I had an injury where I could not. That is always in the back of my mind. They also had the Sunset Cove to trade into, more points

I actually own a Marco Island week at Sunrise Bay for the same week but want to have a backup as my other half wants to permanently get a key west week in this time frame as we own one the week prior and after. I love my Sunrise Bay but own other weeks there so willing to compromise. So my thought was find it a new home or permanently trade within the resort, have to see if they have something else I can use, look for a key west week to buy but if I can’t find it on time have a backup in Marco Island for the week.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I think what will help going forward is to offer the same system they started at Carlsbad Seapointe. I used to have to call Grand Pacific and ask for my unit to be deposited into the system so I could take my 6200 points. Last year, GP offered a online signature form to allow for automatic depositing right at the beginning of the year. This gets the inventory into the system earlier. I will never use my Seapointe home week so I'm happy with the system.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I was in the beachfront building but had no view. The foliage blocks the view on the first floor units.

There are stairs to these units if that’s a concern. No elevators.
Have you stayed there since the repairs from hurricane Irma? I thought I heard somewhere that the foliage was removed as part of the repairs to Club Regency, resolving the view issues.

Kurt

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unit I believe is on second floor E202. I will keep it for now and will cancel if I can get a Key West week. Right now I can do the steps, hopefully that continues as in the past I had an injury where I could not. That is always in the back of my mind. They also had the Sunset Cove to trade into, more points

I actually own a Marco Island week at Sunrise Bay for the same week but want to have a backup as my other half wants to permanently get a key west week in this time frame as we own one the week prior and after. I love my Sunrise Bay but own other weeks there so willing to compromise. So my thought was find it a new home or permanently trade within the resort, have to see if they have something else I can use, look for a key west week to buy but if I can’t find it on time have a backup in Marco Island for the week.
When is the week at club regency

Azdro716

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why does HGVC offer an affiliate program/why is it associated with these places? It seems like these owners get to use HGVC properties, and non affiliate owners will find it impossible to get in to an affiliate. I know I soundd like I am complaining(I am) but am actually ignorant to the agreement and the perceived benefits to HGVC and their owners.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why does HGVC offer an affiliate program/why is it associated with these places? It seems like these owners get to use HGVC properties, and non affiliate owners will find it impossible to get in to an affiliate. I know I soundd like I am complaining(I am) but am actually ignorant to the agreement and the perceived benefits to HGVC and their owners.
I own affiliates. In order for me to get anything in hgvc I must deposit my affiliate unit thus it becomes available to all hgvc members. It works just like any other resort in the system. Affiliates give all members access to some very desirable places.

Azdro716

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own affiliates. In order for me to get anything in hgvc I must deposit my affiliate unit thus it becomes available to all hgvc members. It works just like any other resort in the system. Affiliates give all members access to some very desirable places.
OK I see, thanks for the response. Im just salty cause the site showed availability next week(I was floored) and was running around to see if i could make it work, and the availability went away.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Without the SW Florida affiliates, HGVC wouldn't be where it is today. When HGVC first started in the mid '90's, they had only one resort, HGVC at the Flamingo. They figured it would be hard to sell a points system with only one resort, so they approached several existing Florida resorts to enter the program. Since the owners in those resorts had existing deeds, they couldn't force them to enroll in HGVC, so the current system is what came out from it. They maintain their week unless they deposit it into the system to get the points. Since the owners are HGVC members and, as @Panina says above, they are in very desirable locations, it's great that they are part of the program!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
As dayooper says, the SW Florida affiliates is what initially made HGVC "a club." But how did Hilton get so many of them? Hilton, having no TS experience of it own, partnered with their principal developer, The Mariner Group for it's management expertise.

They merged Mariner's "Grand Vacations" company with Hilton's TS enterprise. Mariner personnel actually ran HGVC for the first few years. It set up the HGVC HQ in Orlando. Hilton later bought them out, and Mariner went back to developing other properties, but the affiliates remained.

TMI?

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
As dayooper says, the SW Florida affiliates is what initially made HGVC "a club." But how did Hilton get so many of them? Hilton, having no TS experience of it own, partnered with their principal developer, The Mariner Group for it's management expertise. Mariner personnel actually ran HGVC for the first few years. It set up the HGVC HQ in Orlando. Hilton later bought them out, and Mariner went back to developing other properties, but the affiliates remained.

TMI?

There are only two of the original affiliates that are not part of HGVC anymore: Shell Island and Sunset Cove.

Shell Island was a hybrid resort where there were both week owners and full year owners. Apparently, the HOA was in a state of flux where there wasn't a full board. A small group of owners "seized" control and the board chose to remove HGVC as it's managing partner and went with a local group. HGVC and many of the members were very surprised by the action. HGVC grandfathered the current owners as members, allowing them to deposit their weeks into the HGVC point system. Those weeks that are enrolled into HGVC will lose that ability once they get transferred to another owner.

Not sure what happened with Sunset Cove, but they are with a different managing partner too. (Holiday Inn Vacation Club?)

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are only two of the original affiliates that are not part of HGVC anymore: Shell Island and Sunset Cove.

Shell Island was a hybrid resort where there were both week owners and full year owners. Apparently, the HOA was in a state of flux where there wasn't a full board. A small group of owners "seized" control and the board chose to remove HGVC as it's managing partner and went with a local group. HGVC and many of the members were very surprised by the action. HGVC grandfathered the current owners as members, allowing them to deposit their weeks into the HGVC point system. Those weeks that are enrolled into HGVC will lose that ability once they get transferred to another owner.

Not sure what happened with Sunset Cove, but they are with a different managing partner too. (Holiday Inn Vacation Club?)
From what I read and thought I was under the impression once a Sunset cove unit sold the new owner did not have hgvc access. I question that now as there is a unit for sale from a knowlegeable broker and they say hgvc points. Also visited Sunset cove today and the clerk said certain units are for Hgvc only but that means very little. Would like to know the answer.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When is the week at club regency
My last day in Marco Island and I went to check out Regency, glad I did. Definitely not for me. I would prefer to stay at my Sunrise week much more. Everything at Sunrise nicer at least on the outside. I am sure regency unit inside is nicer but that is not enough to tip it for me. Timeshare choices are wonderful. Each of us pick what we love. I sure there people where regency is their first choice.

I will use my Sunrise week this year and will do a permanent trade with the resort once I find the Key West week, where pickings are slim.

Also checked out Sunset Cove. Definitely would stay there if my other choices were not available.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Have you stayed there since the repairs from hurricane Irma? I thought I heard somewhere that the foliage was removed as part of the repairs to Club Regency, resolving the view issues.

Kurt

No.
I was there the summer of Irma.
I've been back to Eagle's Nest, Charter Club
& Seawatch since the hurricane but that's it.

I'm glad they trimmed those trees.
I think they are seagrape trees and I don't
think they are endangered trees, so not sure
why they let them grow so big. I hope the
snakes went with it! LOL .

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Affiliates give all members access to some very desirable places.

This is the reason that I bought HGVC.
I wanted access to the SW Florida resorts.
I really didn't care about much else in HGVC although
I have used it in Hawaii, Orlando and Vegas.

These affiliates are in awesome locations for a Floridian.
Just a hotel room on Marco can run you $200-$300 a night
maybe more, so these TS's are a great deal even with the
never ending HGVC fees.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panina what is a permanent trade?

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panina what is a permanent trade?
I will sign a deed back to my resort for my unit and will choose another unit in hoa inventory that will be deeded to me.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to go past the back of the units and see the courtyard and pool and deck and beach area. That is a nice unit you have, wish I could trade you

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You need to go past the back of the units and see the courtyard and pool and deck and beach area. That is a nice unit you have, wish I could trade you
I walked it all, just wasn’t for me, to me it was average at best.

I already put it back in hgvc inventory.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
What is up with that week in August (after Aug 17) where suddenly there are units all over the place. strange.

Yes in some places kids are back to school by then, but I just found it odd.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What is up with that week in August (after Aug 17) where suddenly there are units all over the place. strange. Yes in some places kids are back to school by then, but I just found it odd.
Most of the South (including Florida) goes back to school. Great time to visit Orlando/WDW too.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
What is up with that week in August (after Aug 17) where suddenly there are units all over the place...

My guess (it's just a guess) would be that, Hilton and the original developer (Mariner) as part of their partnership (which formed HGVC) decided to hold that week in reserve for use by "the club," as it would be a slow week anyway.

I find it remarkable that it took 'em ~28 years to integrate their booking systems.

Last edited:

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess (it's just a guess) would be that, Hilton and the original developer (Mariner) as part of their partnership (which formed HGVC) decided to hold that week in reserve for use by "the club," as it would be a slow week anyway.

Probably a good guess. The Mariner properties in SW Florida had either 1 or 2 fixed weeks held back as maintenance weeks every year. (Casa Ybel had 1 week held back, Sanibel Cottages had 2 - one in the spring and one in the fall.) But not the same week for all the units. Maintenance weeks were spread out over about a month or so. Perhaps those are maintenance weeks and the resort is releasing them for reservations.

Or, maybe if that resort has floating weeks, perhaps those are weeks that historically have not been reserved by owners.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FYI walking a reservation did not work, I had to call.