• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buy both resale and Westin Flex?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This seems pretty ingenious.

Did you actually have to pay anything in new money in this case?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There will often be a new money requirement, you may be able to get it down to as little as ten thousand dollars.

TravelBee

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Resort
What we did was buy a non-mandatory where we wanted to stay (Sheraton Mountain Vista in prime winter season) and bought a mandatory Sheraton VV Key West for $1. We turned that into Vistana for $23000 (80% of original sales price), used that money for credit towards a new purchase and retroed SMV to bring it into the network and part of our portfolio.
Can you share the sales persons info?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
That’s a great deal for retro! I would jump on that or something similar but given the whole MVC acquisition and the unknown, I’m waiting to see what is rolled out to better integrate the different brands and systems. If they allow Vistana to join and trade within the Destination Club points program then the whole value of Vistana’s staroption trading system gets reduced.
Why do you think the SO trading system would get reduced? Reduced in what way?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
After speaking with VSE sales for the past two days they also offered me 22K for my SVVKW 2LO 95,700SO. My question is this: is it worth it to buy another mandatory resort on the resale market or maybe another two dirt cheap resorts and then sell both back for say 44K dollars Toward a new purchase? Would that help bring in any new voluntary resorts into the network that i picked up on the Resale Market?

Can they restrict SO on any new resorts With mandatory resorts purchased on resale market in the future? Do you think they can keep resale purchases out of any joint program in the future?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
After speaking with VSE sales for the past two days they also offered me 22K for my SVVKW 2LO 95,700SO. My question is this: is it worth it to buy another mandatory resort on the resale market or maybe another two dirt cheap resorts and then sell both back for say 44K dollars Toward a new purchase? Would that help bring in any new voluntary resorts into the network that i picked up on the Resale Market?

Can they restrict SO on any new resorts With mandatory resorts purchased on resale market in the future? Do you think they can keep resale purchases out of any joint program in the future?
They really could do anything they want, within reason. No one knows how they will handle the new program. I wouldn't buy a mandatory resort with the plan to retro or trade it in. It rarely even makes sense to retro in a voluntary week unless you are aiming for 5*, but with the possible changes looming, I wouldn't try to strive for 5* because who knows what a new program could bring.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
They really could do anything they want, within reason. No one knows how they will handle the new program. I wouldn't buy a mandatory resort with the plan to retro or trade it in. It rarely even makes sense to retro in a voluntary week unless you are aiming for 5*, but with the possible changes looming, I wouldn't try to strive for 5* because who knows what a new program could bring.
Very true. I wouldn’t make 5. With the purchase of a resale and a small purchase to retro other resales would be for elite status. Personally I hope they keep everything separate but like everything else, once it gets too big and everything joins together, many owners will lose something.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
W
would you pick up another resale for more SO or wait?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
W

would you pick up another resale for more SO or wait?
Based on how few SVV mandatory weeks that I see out there and how much those I see are selling for, people seem to be in the buying mood.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very true. I wouldn’t make 5. With the purchase of a resale and a small purchase to retro other resales would be for elite status. Personally I hope they keep everything separate but like everything else, once it gets too big and everything joins together, many owners will lose something.
I think they keep everything separate (and that includes Hyatt in the conversation as well):

1. What advantage do they gain by providing existing DC members access to Vistana properties for free? I can see them providing affiliate access (with different rules) for a fee in the future, but you have basically ruined new sales for Sheraton and Westin Flex (plus pissed people off who bought into those programs at full boat). Plus despite having rules that the club can change at any time, you open yourself to litigation I don't think they want (i.e. Salesman A said I could do X and Y for life and now I can't).

2. I agree with your statement that "many owners will lose something". A fraction of the members will be pissed at something (i.e. conversion rates between the two programs). They don't want that headache.

Force people who want access to those properties to buy in separately to those programs or charge an additional fee to affiliate access to other portfolios. To me, that is the logical way forward to make this most profitable and not piss off your existing customer base at the same time.

-ryan

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think a brand new separate trading exchange platform where MVC and Vistana and even Hyatt owners can deposit their deeded weeks or respective club points into in order to exchange into each other’s resorts at 6 months out for a nominal deposit fee of ~$100 would be ideal and a win for all including Marriott. Each resort and week could have differing point value assigned a new trading currency for this new exchange platform.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
1. What advantage do they gain by providing existing DC members access to Vistana properties for free?
This is the biggest thing I see. I see no reason to give what is probably at least 60% of their owners free access to a new program. Trying to make money off only a small percentage of your base isn't going to grow revenue as they would hope.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think a brand new separate trading exchange platform where MVC and Vistana and even Hyatt owners can deposit their deeded weeks or respective club points into in order to exchange into each other’s resorts at 6 months out for a nominal deposit fee of ~$100 would be ideal and a win for all including Marriott. Each resort and week could have differing point value assigned a new trading currency for this new exchange platform.
$100? I don't think so. I was thinking more along the lines of pay us $500 per year (or $3,000 one time -- insert ridiculous number here), and you can have affiliate access to Vistana and Hyatt at 6 months out.

Honestly, Hyatt is the best program of all and I'd hate to see them change it or allow competition from DC members. I trade a Pinon Point diamond week every year for three 4-night Tue to Sat ski week reservations at High Sierra every year and still have 240 points left over to book a 2 nighter somewhere else. Yes, they nickel and dime you on transaction fees, but I can live with that.

Maybe it is wishful thinking, but I think they make far more money keeping the programs separate, and allowing affiliate access for a non-nominal fee (one-time or annually). And even the affiliate access brings headaches of people complaining so maybe they keep it all separate and just force you buy in.

-ryan

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I think they keep everything separate (and that includes Hyatt in the conversation as well):

1. What advantage do they gain by providing existing DC members access to Vistana properties for free? I can see them providing affiliate access (with different rules) for a fee in the future, but you have basically ruined new sales for Sheraton and Westin Flex (plus pissed people off who bought into those programs at full boat). Plus despite having rules that the club can change at any time, you open yourself to litigation I don't think they want (i.e. Salesman A said I could do X and Y for life and now I can't).

2. I agree with your statement that "many owners will lose something". A fraction of the members will be pissed at something (i.e. conversion rates between the two programs). They don't want that headache.

Force people who want access to those properties to buy in separately to those programs or charge an additional fee to affiliate access to other portfolios. To me, that is the logical way forward to make this most profitable and not piss off your existing customer base at the same time.

-ryan
I completely agree and that’s what I speculate what would happen. I just wish Vistana had more resorts in the Caribbean (not Mexico)

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I completely agree and that’s what I speculate what would happen. I just wish Vistana had more resorts in the Caribbean (not Mexico)

I think we can gauge the longevity of a thread based on when the location topic gets added to the discussion.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Too bad there are so many locations on the west coast. I like Caribbean water. If Vistana added more Caribbean destinations I wouldn’t care about MVC conversions. But considering the name of the thread is buy both Westin flex and resale the whole basis of the conversation is about what to buy and with that comes conversations about location. West coast locations and Mexico are blah destinations. MVC has MORE DESTINATIONS. DESTINATIONS LOCATION RESORTS LOCATION AND DESTINATION.

Last edited by a moderator:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I think we can gauge the longevity of a thread based on when the location topic gets added to the discussion.

When you think about it, the title of the threat is “buy Westin flex”. I would expect there to be discussions in LOCATION. Since you can’t use all of the Westin flex options in ALL Westin resorts. St John and Mexico Westin’s are not included. So yes, I would think a discussion on location in a thread on a blog that is ALL ABOUT TIMESHARES which has to do with vacation resort locations, is warranted.

Bird01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Newport Coast
Marriott Canyon Villas
Shadow Ridge
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Steamboat
Westin Riverfront
Grand Lodge Peak 7
I enjoy these forums but am confused. If I buy a Mandatory Resort (e.g. Vistana Key West), can I book at another resort (e.g. Kierland, not my Home Resort) 12 months out using those StarOptions or do I need to wait until 8 months out. Everyone uses the word trade but you actually use the StarOptions to book at another place (not your Home Resort).

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Wouldnt this just be Interval 2?

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I enjoy these forums but am confused. If I buy a Mandatory Resort (e.g. Vistana Key West), can I book at another resort (e.g. Kierland, not my Home Resort) 12 months out using those StarOptions or do I need to wait until 8 months out. Everyone uses the word trade but you actually use the StarOptions to book at another place (not your Home Resort).

8mos out

12-8 is only at your home resort (or home resorts if you are talking about a flex ownership)

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too bad there are so many locations on the west coast. I like Caribbean water. If Vistana added more Caribbean destinations I wouldn’t care about MVC conversions. But considering the name of the thread is buy both Westin flex and resale the whole basis of the conversation is about what to buy and with that comes conversations about location. West coast locations and Mexico are blah destinations. MVC has MORE DESTINATIONS. DESTINATIONS LOCATION RESORTS LOCATION AND DESTINATION.

Vistana has 700 units in the Caribbeans (including Cancun), MVC has 900. Given that Marriott has twice as many owners as Vistana, I would say that Vistana is ahead actually.

Too bad you have not tried the Mexican Vistana resorts yet, Westin Lagunamar Cancun and Westin Los Cabos have very high satisfaction rate.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Vistana has 700 units in the Caribbeans (including Cancun), MVC has 900. Given that Marriott has twice as many owners as Vistana, I would say that Vistana is ahead actually.

Too bad you have not tried the Mexican Vistana resorts yet, Westin Lagunamar Cancun and Westin Los Cabos have very high satisfaction rate.
I hear Great things about lagunamar. I next want to try St. John’s.