• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buy RCI points week or is there a better way to now do things?

chazpbg

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an RCI points week with a resort that has struggled of late and raised MFs. I'm thinking about dumping it (that's a separate discussion), but I'd also like to stay in RCI system so I can continue take advantage of the other week I own (it's a week within the RCI weeks system with low MF that I convert into 57k points annually).

What's the best way to do things these days? (I haven't bought a timeshare in over a decade.) Are there cheap weeks to buy with reputable operators/owners that have low MFs and give you a reasonable amount of points? Is a penny a point still the goal? (The resort I'm trying to dump now has an MF that translates into almost 1.75 cents per point).

Or should I forget about RCI and look into another system altogether? (Well, I still want to take advantage of the week that I convert)... So confused.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you are happy with RCI points with the availability and the fees associated with membership and exchanges then you might want to stay. It is hard to say whether another system would be better or less expensive and get you similar or better exchanges. I guess it depends where and when you like to travel. For me at a penny a point RCI points is still fairly expensive and if you buy at a penny a point today within 1-2 years you will be over a penny a point. There aren't any real surefire ways to get a good ratio timeshare with enough points to be useful for under $500. In fact in many cases you might be looking at $1000-$2000 for a good week which bites into the savings from the low cost per point.

kukenan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take a look at Grandview Las Vegas, you can get 98,000 points 2BR week from free to $1000, and 122,000 points 2BR week from $1000 to $3000. MFs $803 per year.

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
That’s what I have.... a 122,000 GV..... best way to have lots of points for not much money.....

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
We have just a few points for just a little money -- 1BR triennial Grandview points unit.

Most of our timeshare reservations are via RCI for Last Call & special sales on Extra Vacation Getaways, so it works out fine.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

chazpbg

TUG Member
Reaction score
It does seem like Grandview (or any of the other Vacation Villages) is the way people are going these days. Does anyone have a reliable reseller they like? Or do they just scour TUG classifieds or EBay and such? Also, what would be considered a fair deal? (I know a couple of you have already chimed in... but welcome others.)

Finally -- and this may be difficult to answer -- but since I'm looking at buying something else now that I'm stuck with a resort where the MFs have climbed so much, any sense if that will happen at Grandview as well? What's keeping them low now? Also, if all else fails, does the resort do a deedback?

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It does seem like Grandview (or any of the other Vacation Villages) is the way people are going these days. Does anyone have a reliable reseller they like? Or do they just scour TUG classifieds or EBay and such? Also, what would be considered a fair deal? (I know a couple of you have already chimed in... but welcome others.)

Finally -- and this may be difficult to answer -- but since I'm looking at buying something else now that I'm stuck with a resort where the MFs have climbed so much, any sense if that will happen at Grandview as well? What's keeping them low now? Also, if all else fails, does the resort do a deedback?

I don't think the Grandview fees are especially low, I think they get more RCI points than one would otherwise expect. Likely because of some sort of unknown special deal between the developer and RCI.

flybefree

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can also just buy points when you need them, since many people sell theirs. I have debated doing that for my points that expire 9/30/18 so I don't have to pay to extend them, if I can't find a friend who can use them. There are ads for it on the Marketplace here.