• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buy Resale and Retire F/T in Timeshares - Anyone do that yet?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I missed something, what is advantage of spending full time in timeshares and still maintaining a home?
No advantage, it is actually an expense and lost of rental revnue.

We mainly bought timeshares during the great recession so the prices where great. Resale prices are lower or same for 40% of the marriott units we bought back then. HGVC is about the same as what resale was back then or a little more and DVC is 100% more than whay we paid. We bought these TS to use as our retirement home. Since we own them and are paying MF for them we mine as well use them.

We were thinking for the past few years to rent out our main home but just haven't done it yet. The rental income would take care of our maintenance fees and then some. But wife likes having a non rental home to go back to. So we will probably keep our home until he goes off to college. Then will empty it out and rent home so we can start our retirement.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
i just don’t buy it. Might be enjoyable for awhile, but not the lifestyle I want. I have two homes in resort communities, one is in a timeshare community. We have the least expensive home in the community and it is still nicer than any of the timeshares. We pay $325 a year to use all the amenities. Stay here for five months then go to our other community which has golf course, five pools, restaurant, activities, concierge, tennis, and most things that timeshares have, but includes people who would step up and help if we are in need instead of strangers who move on each week. And both homes appreciate in value.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
i just don’t buy it. Might be enjoyable for awhile, but not the lifestyle I want. I have two homes in resort communities, one is in a timeshare community. We have the least expensive home in the community and it is still nicer than any of the timeshares. We pay $325 a year to use all the amenities. Stay here for five months then go to our other community which has golf course, five pools, restaurant, activities, concierge, tennis, and most things that timeshares have, but includes people who would step up and help if we are in need instead of strangers who move on each week. And both homes appreciate in value.

To each their own. We have been timesharing full time for about 5 years and TS at least half the year for 5+ years previously. We are not going to spend our retirement years here in Hawaii. Though for others this is a dream come true to retire here. Being raised and born here I plan to see the world and am very lucky to be able to do so. Wife and I plan to travel the mainland US and abroad. Timesharing is the way we decided to do it. Not having to worry about water heater, AC, maintenance, etc. is a major consideration. Like to treat it like a hotel and move on when we want to but have the quality of MVC and HGVC. Would be ok with using hotels here and there but like the space and home feel of a TS.

We thought of buying a retirement home in Carlsbad during the recession. But do not see us locked down to one place more than a month or two. Did not want to buy another home in Hawaii for retirement purposes. Hence buying TS for the variety and usage like a retirement home. Maybe when we hit early 70's in 25 years or so we might slow down. Might even return to Oahu to spend our twilight years here. Just dont know what will be in the cards 25 years from now. But we do know we want to see what the world has to offer.

Have never had to ask my neighbors for anything that my property manager couldn't get done. If there is a medical emergency, I am sure the Marriott, Hilton or whatever TS front desk staff would help.

Did not buy these TS for appreciation. I already have homes on Oahu that have appreciated very nicely and provide stable rental income monthly.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk