• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying a resell at Westgate

CSIPam

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort
Hello new friends!

My husband and I inherited our Westgate property from my father. Now, friends of ours are offering to sell us their 4 bedroom, every other year, fixed week timeshare at Westgate Town Center.

I've read some posts here and there and have gotten conflicting info. Please help me understand.

If we buy this property from our friends, will we lose all the original owner privileges such as splitting the unit up to use it more than one week every other year?

We tried talking to someone last week while we were staying at Town Center but as you well know, speaking with them about a resell is like talking about the devil.

Please help us decide if buying this property is worth it.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score

It's only worth it if you plan to use it. You say you already have one. Do you plan to use an additional one?

BTW, where is Westgate Town Center located? Is it in the Orlando area? Have you checked out what the MFs are on this property that your friends want to sell you? It's quite possible that you could rent something in the Orlando area for a lot less than the MFs. And keep in mind that if you do acquire a resale Westgate, that you will lose a number of privileges although I am not sure if "splitting the unit up to use it more than one week every other year" is one of them.

CSIPam

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pardon my newness, but what is MFs?

Town Center is in the Orlando area. Nice resort, we stayed there last week using a week from current ownership.

We own a 1 bedroom with lockout (studio) that we can either use one week a year, or split and use two weeks a year. We use it every year and would use the additional property/time as well. However, it would besr suit us to be able to split that 4 bedroom into at least two units for one week each (total of two weeks). Ideally, we would like to split it and use two weeks every year but I have yet to find out if that's even possible to begin with, let alone as a resale.

What are some examples of the original owner privileges we would lose as a resale buyer?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
MFs are annual Maintenance Fees.

Wastegate (as they are known here) strips those perks from resales. You can only exchange within 45 (or maybe 60) days from move-in , and then it's based on availability. Those bigger units are NEVER available.

Ownerships pass intact to family members, but resales are basically worthless. I'd pass.

Jim

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
.... Now, friends of ours are offering to sell us their 4 bedroom, every other year, fixed week timeshare at Westgate Town Center.

If we buy this property from our friends, will we lose all the original owner privileges such as splitting the unit up to use it more than one week every other year?

Is the specific fixed week one you want as a 4 bedroom EOY ?

I do not believe Westgate can impact THAT usage even if resold , since it is deeded .
As Passepartout stated : other owner privileges are removed on resale transfer- by Westgate .

Westgate 4 bedroom / fixed week ownerships sell on ebay for : $0- $100 range .

I am unsure how Westgate handles owner rentals and guests of owners ?

Perhaps you and your friends can work something out that allows the usage you are looking for ; while leaving the deed in their name so owner
privileges remain intact to allow the split unit /yearly usage .

There are some TUG threads with Westgate owner's posts .
Using the "Conversation " feature may allow you to gain additional information by contacting current Westgate owners / TUG members directly ( who may not see this thread ) .

Hope that helps

Last edited:

CSIPam

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok, so after reading the responses, what would be the benefit to buying a resale?

If I were to purchase one on eBay, what should I look for to maximize my purchase, knowing that some privileges are lost?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so after reading the responses, what would be the benefit to buying a resale?

If I were to purchase one on eBay, what should I look for to maximize my purchase, knowing that some privileges are lost?
Unless you want to actually USE THE WEEK you buy, there is ZERO benefit to buying a resale at Wastegate, and since you can't sell one you buy retail, there is no reason to buy one at all. AVOID WESTGATE like the plague. These opinions are mine, but I have a feeling they are shared by many TUGgers.

Oh, I forgot the 'what to look for bit. OK. A week you'd actually USE or give to friends/family, and one you'd either get free, or be paid to take from someone.

Jim

CSIPam

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do want to actually use the week, so should I look for a float, any or fixed week? Just trying to optimize my benefits while not spending a lot of money. We're empty nesters now so we can vacation quite a bit. I have no issue banking the weeks on our original property.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember, if you take this week .. it becomes YOUR problem to get rid of.

Orlando is SWAMPED with timeshares ... you can find way better corporate operators than Westgate ... those who do not strip almost EVERYTHING from a resale owner.

And the other saying, "Free is sometimes very expensive in the long run."

Rent a Wyndham Bonnet Creek vacation stay. Tour Disney Vacation Club resorts or even just walk thru DVC's Animal Kingdom Resort buildings.... large lobbies.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do want to actually use the week, so should I look for a float, any or fixed week? Just trying to optimize my benefits while not spending a lot of money. We're empty nesters now so we can vacation quite a bit. I have no issue banking the weeks on our original property.
(A) I wouldn't buy in Orlando (or Las Vegas, or Cancun, or Williamsburg, or Branson) as they are overbuilt and one can rent there for less than the cost of MF, and they have less exchange value. AND
(B) I would avoid Wastegate like the plague. They are borderline dishonest and deplete the value of what they sell to the point that owners have to pay someone to take their units. It isn't enough that they lose 95%-99.9% of their value before the ink dries, it's that they rub your noses in it. Poo on them!

Jim

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
My understanding is they still let you split the unit but they charge 2-3 times higher for the fee for resale owners. They still let you use the internal exchange system but that too is one they charge about 3 times as much if you are a resale owner.

I would go a step further. If you are getting a fixed week Westgate and it is one you want to use yourself 90%+ of the time then get it. Reserving a float week, locking off and using the internal exchange program are considered "perks" and Westgate charges more and puts restrictions on these.

CSIPam

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you everyone! I certainly have a lot to take into consideration.

Has anyone bought extra weeks that you don't own? For instance, we heard about a Westgate owner buying 20 additional weeks a year for $400/week. He has 27 months to use them and there are no additional fees associated with those weeks. He and his wife spend 6 months per year in Florida and he does so between what he owns and buying those additional weeks.

But I have no idea how to do that.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

Dear CSIPam ,
disclaimer - What I know about Westgate comes from reading TUG & seeing the movie- Queen of Versailles .
Here is my” take “on -reasons to buy resale Westgate .

1 ) Fixed weeks- deeded ( DO NOT BUY FLOAT RESALE WESTGATE due to benefit removal )
2) Large units - the 3 & 4 bedrooms , with fairly reasonable MF. for the square feet you get .
3 ) cheap resale price .

I will echo Tschwa2-
only buy a resale fixed week at Westgate IF you plan to use it 90 % of the time .

Realize that even the benefits that they currently allow AT A HIGHER COST , could be removed fully ;
as they are(likely) non - deeded benefits . I believe - only the listed details on the deed cannot be changed .

I have seen mult bedroom / fixed week 51 or 52 ( Christmas & New Years Week ) Westgate’s sell on ebay for very little.
Orlando may be “overbuilt” BUT - those holiday weeks can cost a lot to rent . If you are a teacher ( work schedule ) , with 4 kids , and want to vacation in Orlando EVERY New Years in a 3 + bedroom unit -THEN it was a great buy ( for your needs )

BUT - realize it may cost you $ 1000-2000 to get rid of even a personally worthwhile Westgate resale week . ( This is likely true for many other Timeshares ) .

Westgate likely can (or does already ) charge a higher “processing “ fee to bank a resale. week
( than you pay as original owner / family )

Note - I own Vidanta - Mayan Palace in Mexico . It is known for high pressure sales, and removal of benefits on resale ( not however the ability to book based on the original contract specs ) .They also (IMO) have top quality resorts .

If you are familiar with the Westgate system , I can understand why you may wish
to add resale weeks in the same system , just be sure you FULLY know what you getting .

Last edited: