• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying a timeshare how can you check there is no outstanding debt

Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking at buying a timeshare from a third party and firstly keen to ensure that the seller actually owns the timeshare and also that there is no outstanding debt on the timeshare too. Is there anyway I can check this myself?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You would ask for an Estoppel letter from Marriott, but this is usually something that the closing company does. Not sure if the owner can ask for one directly.

What closing company are you using? They can help you with questions like this.

Reaction score
You would ask for an Estoppel letter from Marriott, but this is usually something that the closing company does. Not sure if the owner can ask for one directly.

What closing company are you using? They can help you with questions like this.

I'm using a third party broker but just wanted to do my own checks if possible. Rather than take someone else's word for it.

Also they've asked for the full cost of the timeshare immediately is that normal or should I just pay a deposit initially

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The "broker" is the seller.

The "Title Company/Closing Company" is the licensed company that prepares the new deed, and handles the process to legally transfer the title to you.

The Title Company should provide an estoppel letter prepared by Marriott, to you. The estoppel letter will come from Marriott, not the broker, so it is independent information.

If the seller is demanding full payment up front, they may not be willing to change their terms, so you will have to decide if you want to agree to these terms, or walk away. A lot of the ebay sellers require full payment upfront. However, the money should be going into a licensed escrow account to be held durng the transfer.

Who exactly are you buying from?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You can also search on the county recorder's website to see if there are any outstanding liens. Of course, it would have to be located in a county that has online access.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The OP send me a PM, and he is buying from a UK broker, so I'm not sure if the process is different in the UK.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The OP send me a PM, and he is buying from a UK broker, so I'm not sure if the process is different in the UK.
If the property is not in the USA, it probably will be different. Marriott doesn't issue deeds for the European properties.

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help, what a great forum. Everyone is just willing to help and offer impartial advice.

Thank you everyone

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have bought several weeks from the major UK broker.
We transferred our payment directly into the Escrow account with the Broker's Solicitors until all checks had been made with MVC and the HOTA received from them for the transfer to be completed.