• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying HGVC from Resale or from HGVC directly?

terking

Reaction score
hi, I am thinking of becoming a owner and I did quiet some researches and understood how it works. Now it comes to the money, I know that if I buy from Resale it would be cheaper, but what benefits do I lose? probably I will lose the bonus points, and Hilton Honor elite status, what else? what else I am gaining from buying resale besides lower cost?

thank you all very much!

JTurner538

Reaction score
The only thing you gain is the cost, but it's a substantial cost. In theory you also risk HGVC treating you as a second class citizen via policy changes in the future, but most people here say that's a very small risk.

bevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hgvc Flamingo, hgvc Paradise
Do not even consider buying direct as you can buy secondary market for about 20% on the dollar. None of the perks they offer matter much and HGVC treats secondary market buyers the same as original buyers. Read about HGVC on the forum, decide how many points you need and buy that contract. Personally, I would buy Platinum 7000 or 4800 points or higher Platinum points if the purchase math works. You will find Platinum sells for more but if the day comes to sell there is more of a market for them than the other seasons. I recently bought a Flamingo 7000 and if you scroll down I put down some of the purchase facts. Curt

terking

Reaction score
Will I be able to use those points on other HGVC resorts just like the one I purchase from them directly?

Last edited:

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
probably I will lose the bonus points, and Hilton Honor elite status

You won't get any bonus points nor will non-HGVC resale purchases qualify for HGVC elite purchases (HGVC resale purchases do qualify).

terking

Reaction score
that means I won't be able to upgrade to higher point system?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
what do platinum points mean?
Platinum points are referring to the season which the unit (high season) which you are buying. The typical seasons are platinum, gold, silver and bronze. You will get more points for the higher seasons. Yearly MFs (maintenance fees) in HGVC are typically determined by room size not season, so for example, a platinum season 2-Bd with 7000 points would have the same MFs are a gold season 2-Bd with 5000 points.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
that means I won't be able to upgrade to higher point system?

If you have the points in your account, you can book anything available during the club booking window (less than 9-month mark)

terking

Reaction score
so in theory, the best deal I should get , if there is any, would be 7000 platinum season points for a studio room?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
so in theory, the best deal I should get , if there is any, would be 7000 platinum season points for a studio room?

I don't think I understand what you are trying to say because a Typical studio room is 2200 points for platinum season. How many weeks and how many people (or how many bedrooms) are you thinking about?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Where also do you want to go and when? Do you have school age children (or do you have to only vacation during a certain time)?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Points are points... IOW, one point is as good as any other point (no matter how acquired). Whether acquired resale or thru HGVC, you can book any season, size or resort (except Hilton Club NY), as long as you have enuff to play with. Of course, you can also book your own season/size/resort as a home-week stay, but where's the fun in that?

The point is to get the most points per cost (cost of acquisition + 15/25 years of MF's). Anything else (bonus points, HGVC-elite status) is a mere distraction.

Reactions: OMC

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score

Exactly correct. You will pay more for that contract, but the annual maintenance fee will generally save you enough to break even in less than five years. And when it's time to sell, you will sell it quicker, and for a higher price.

terking

Reaction score
I see the sales listed, for the same points, some are Gold and others are Platinum, what are the differences? does that mean for gold, I can't stay during the high seasons?

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see the sales listed, for the same points, some are Gold and others are Platinum, what are the differences? does that mean for gold, I can't stay during the high seasons?

Points are points, season doesn't matter for reservations, only the number of points

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

The seasons, from high to low, are: Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze. The color (season) of your points does not matter. Any point can book any season. However...
The lower the season you book, the less it costs in points per day. OTOH, if you book a higher season than what you own, you may have to borrow points, book LT a week, or limit yourself to weekdays (M-F) which cost much fewer points than weekends.

ALSO: The higher the season you buy, the more points your unit will score. So, the same unit in Platinum week has more points than in a Gold. But each week in that unit is charged the same MF$. So, Platinum weeks have better point/MF$ ratio... which is why Platinum weeks cost more to buy than Gold weeks.

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

You have half of the idea correct and a misunderstanding of the other half unless I misunderstand your question. The 7000 point Platinum is an excellent buy that you can usually get it at a good price and it gives you the exchanging power with points in any season at the lowest maintenance for that property. The 7000 points lets you stay in a 2Br Platinum season for 1 week. You can also stay in gold season for one week in a 2 BR (5000 points) and also stay for another week in gold season in a Studio(1700 points). You can also stay in a 1 Br for one week during platinum season(4800 points) and a studio for one week during platinum season(2200 points). You can also stay in a studio during platinum season (2200 points per week) for 3 weeks. Does that help you get the idea.

tk25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land 12,600 points; Sea World 8400 points and Las Vegas Boulevard 7000 points
I just bought three resales in last 18 months: Sea World 8400 points, Kings Land 12,600 points and Las Vegas 7000 points all platinum at about $1.0 per point.

Its probably best to include in your offer any unused points if any for current season/year and pay the current year maintenance fees if necessary - included in your gross purchase price. Your offer will superficially look higher and may have a better chance of passing right of first refusal. Hilton did come in and buy one of my offers using ROFR but I kept trying and ultimately succeeded.
My worst one for annual fees is Sea World which also was my first purchase and would be the first one I would sell.
If I buy more would buy the Las Vegas Strip or boulevard 7000 point platinum package with annual fees less then $850 not counting annual membership fee.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I
If I buy more would buy the Las Vegas Strip or boulevard 7000 point platinum package with annual fees less then $850 not counting annual membership fee.

+1 Two other desirable Vegas properties in the same price range per point purchase and maintenance fee for 7000 point platinum units are Paradise and Flamingo. Flamingo has no ROFR.

eabishop2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, Mazatlan
Tahiti Village, Las Vegas
HGVC Elara, Las Vegas
+1 Two other desirable Vegas properties in the same price range per point purchase and maintenance fee for 7000 point platinum units are Paradise and Flamingo. Flamingo has no ROFR.

Also Elara has the 1BR Grand Plus 7800 points for $883 MF.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
However if you buy outside of your preferred resort you cannot reserve at the twelve month mark and have to wait til 9 months out. For high demand seasons and resorts that may lock you out. For less desirable locations it is not a problem and may be a cost effective way to own. In contrast if you want to be on Oahu every Christmas then you better buy on Oahu and reserve right when the window opens, and even then no one can promise you can get what you want.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Although I agree that currently "points are points", it should be acknowledged that trading in the club window is subject to HGVC rules and fees that could change at any time. There is a line of reasoning that says that you should buy where you would like to stay e.g.

1) you can travel to the resort economically from where you live, and/or
2) you would not mind staying if fees or rules got to the point in 20 years that using your home resort is the most viable option.

For example, we currently own Las Vegas and trade for Hawaii, however if the HGVC rules changed, plane fares got prohibitive, or our health deteriorated such that we would need to drive, we would be okay with driving to and using our Vegas home resort. Although the HGVC Italy property is beautiful, traveling there every year as a home resort is simply not feasible for us.

A lot can change in 10 - 20 years.

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
However if you buy outside of your preferred resort you cannot reserve at the twelve month mark and have to wait til 9 months out. For high demand seasons and resorts that may lock you out.

That assumes one wants to stay somewhere for a week. We don't stay places that long, so Home Week benefits are irrelevant for us. Surely applies to quite a few others as well.

Although I agree that currently "points are points", it should be acknowledged that trading in the club window is subject to HGVC rules and fees that could change at any time.

Yes, it could change, but unlikely to change rules on existing purchases, even though they could. DVC made changes a few years back (two sets of changes, actually). No one who has points prior to the first change were impacted by either - same rules as before. Similarly, those with points purchased between the changes were not impacted by the second change. All were grandfathered. I still see this as the most likely scenario here.

Cheers.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I’ve owned for 17 years now, the only change has been increased fees, that is likely to be the direction of travel for hgvc.

The first 7 yrs I made home reservation weeks only. Since I learned how to leverage my ownership I’ve only made club reservations.

I’ve also sold my original developer purchase and now own a resale thats a pure points play, don’t ever intend to book that home week.

I’m not the least bit worried about a rule change that would restrict points use, thats a fairy tale sales uses to scare people from buying resale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I’ve owned for 17 years now, the only change has been increased fees, that is likely to be the direction of travel for hgvc.

The first 7 yrs I made home reservation weeks only. Since I learned how to leverage my ownership I’ve only made club reservations.

I’ve also sold my original developer purchase and now own a resale thats a pure points play, don’t ever intend to book that home week.

I’m not the least bit worried about a rule change that would restrict points use, thats a fairy tale sales uses to scare people from buying resale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That is good to know about DVC. I agree that it is a low probability (we have never used a home resort reservation either). HGVC is a high integrity brand. However as owners of Intrawest and other properties acquired by Diamond have learned, policies can change. What they cannot change is what's in your deed.

Last edited: