• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cabo San Lucas--My son was attacked

loosefeet

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect that petty crime and subsequent night time after-drinking fisticuffs happen with enough regularity virtually any and every where. There simply are not enough cops to attend to every one of them. If there is no corpse, and the injured either refuse treatment and/or can't identify the assailant(s), that's where it ends. The most that happens where I live is maybe a report is taken, that is on file if any of the stolen goods turn up, and so the victim can turn it over to insurance. But in the case of this happening in a Spring Break Mexican resort, the young man is luck to be alive, and that he had friends who got him to the airport and homeward bound. I'm curious, where were his friends the night of the incident? Y'know, it is unlikely that an attack would have taken place on a group that stuck together.

I wish him well and a full and speedy recovery.

Jim
Passepartout--You are making a lot of assumptions, and I am quite aware of the various issues of being out late, being a young man on spring break, drinking, having an iPhone, etc. My reason for posting is to alert other travelers. You can assume all you want about my son, and how much he is at fault for the assault. I hear you. I don't agree with you. I think these types of forums are good ways to communicate information that may not be easily accessible through formal travel sites. I STILL think Cabo is becoming more dangerous, and simply wanted to alert others. Readers can do as they like with this information. I was hoping to possibly help avert another possible assault, especially for those that are unfamiliar with the area, or haven't visited in awhile. Im not a Polly Anna Mom--so no more advice on how I need to see how this assault happened. I have been grateful to others who gave me advice on my travel, and what crimes were prevalent in various areas. If you don't know about the area, and the travel literature does not address these concerns, then one may not be aware of dangers to try to avoid. So my final advice--In Cabo, avoid walking to your condo-even in the marina-, with a cellphone, after going to the bar at night--and if you do, do not expect any help from the police if you are assaulted by thugs that troll that area looking for victims.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Sorry that this has gotten to be a debate! Thank you for warning us and glad your son is ok. I worry about family and friends who travel to areas that may not be friendly or safe. Our friends are taking a cruise that stops in Cuba next month. We never had the interest in going there, but they want to go. Have any of you been to Cuba? What is it like? What should I tell them to be aware of while there?
Silentg

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Passepartout--You are making a lot of assumptions, and I am quite aware of the various issues of being out late, being a young man on spring break, drinking, having an iPhone, etc.

I make no assumptions. I met a Canadian couple who were surrounded on a Mexican toll road and robbed of all their money, jewelry, electronics and a brand new pickup truck. They felt fortunate to escape with their lives, and now own a condo in Mexico that they have no interest in returning to.

I am sorry your son had this experience, and wish him recovery- including the desire to travel and have new experiences.

Yes, people need to be aware of their surroundings, and the people who might be paying him extra attention. All of those are not honorable. Thanks for the warning. It is not just in Cabo. It could as well happen in Ft Lauderdale, San Diego, Rome, NYC, or anywhere else.

I'm done here.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry that this has gotten to be a debate! Thank you for warning us and glad your son is ok. I worry about family and friends who travel to areas that may not be friendly or safe. Our friends are taking a cruise that stops in Cuba next month. We never had the interest in going there, but they want to go. Have any of you been to Cuba? What is it like? What should I tell them to be aware of while there?
Silentg

Traveled there for three nights last year, stayed at an Airbnb. Dropped of by the taxi after dark and had to find the hosts with few address markings and no 'spanish' - very sketchy area. Bottom line - very friendly and very safe. If you don't get enough info from others, PM me

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm really sad for you that your son experienced this. Here's the huge difference for me.....I'd much rather have a problem in the US than in a foreign country, especially one that has corrupt police. Can you imagine if somehow your son got tossed into jail as a result of this ? I can't even stand the thought.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Beat downs and petty crime happen everywhere, not just in Cabo. In fact, it happens frequently in many places in the USA in broad daylight. Sometimes inside tourist attractions like Disney or in Waikiki. I don't know the frequency of people fighting in Cabo but when I was there I was staying out very late wandering from bar to bar with no problems. Yes, I did see fighting and people being bounced out of bars.

There are five actions that can keep you somewhat safe. 1. Be aware of your surroundings. 2. Don't make direct eye contact with potential threats. 3. Verbally diffuse a situation by speaking confidently but non threatening. 4. Run away 5. Scream or yell for help very loudly.

Interestingly to me are millennial's and their smart phones. I wondered how many of these kids realize how easy it would be for someone to snatch a phone right out of their hands when they are taking selfies. I wonder how many would realize a threat while texting or listening to music. Phone theft by snatch and grab is a very common dealio everywhere.

While it wasn't your son's fault for being robbed it kind of is his fault for getting the beat down, imo. A person is no longer aware of their surroundings when chasing someone. A person is likely to be in an altercation, even when right, by pursuing and making eye contact with a potential threat. There is very little a person can say that will diffuse a situation after chasing and catching up to a potential threat.

I am very glad your son made it home and found the help he needed in a timely manner. The lesson learned should be about personal safety where ever you are, not just Mexico.

Bill

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
To the OP, thanks for posting the story. It reminds everyone again to be cautious when traveling, especially abroad.
To dsmrp, I’m so sorry for the senseless loss of your nephew. I always thought traveling to Asia such as Vietnam is relatively safe but one never knows. May loving memories of him bring you peace, comfort, and strength.

I am so sorry for your loss!! Yes, there are lessons. But, we also need to share information with others, as the authorities are not doing this. I think there may be more assaults in Cabo that simply aren't recorded, and I suspect it's more than when we were there a few years ago.
I do hope you enjoy your trip--

Thank you LisaH and Loosefeet. Yes my nephew's death was senseless and a shock to the family. Like to think he was in the wrong place, wrong time. He wasn't alone, was travelling with a friend.

I do want to give a hand to the dedicated US embassy and consulate staff around the world. The US consulate in Vietnam was invaluable to my BIL. All too often I think we travelers take the diplomatic corp for granted until we have problems. Hopefully will never have to visit them when we're traveling, but the embassies and consulates need to be adequately staffed.

Last edited:

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I were in Sin Maarten/St Martin in early February. We rented a car and were driving around the island. We stopped in Marigot and decided that we were going to see Fort Louis, which is a short walk uphill from the downtown area. It was late afternoon, but still light outside. As we were climbing up the steps, a woman driving by jumped out of her car and yelled at us to stop. She told us that it was not safe to go there in the late afternoon because of muggings. Before we went up there, I had looked at the most recent entries on TripAdvisor and saw Fort Louis received good reviews. I had also looked at other travel sites and guide books. Later I ran a google search and discovered that for several years people had been posting about muggings at Fort Louis and the indifference of the French police. We consider ourselves fortunate that a good Samaritan was looking after us.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Years ago I was at a trade show in New Orleans. A friend who had worked there recommended that if I was going to Bourbon Street, just take my room key and enough cash for the night. It was excellent advice! I was pick pocketed and didn't even know it until I went to pay for a drink. Another in our group got lured into an alleyway and mugged. Yet another in our group got into an argument with a bouncer, and ended up with 20 stitches around his eye. Just about any tourist destination can be dangerous place.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
I met a Canadian couple who were surrounded on a Mexican toll road and robbed of all their money, jewelry, electronics and a brand new pickup truck. They felt fortunate to escape with their lives, and now own a condo in Mexico that they have no interest in returning to.
Perhaps these are the Canadians you met?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I am so sorry this happened to your son. It's terrible that he was robbed and beat up. I feel so badly for your family.

My nephew usually went to Cabo in the late fall, and now he won't go anymore. He is 38 now, and he won't talk about it.

Of course, you all have heard my stories of Mexico, firefighter friends of Rick's. One was thrown in jail and almost didn't get out. The brothers (four of them, who are all firefighters) had to fight tooth and nail to get him back. Big family, all brothers went with their wives. He had a scuffle in a bar, and he was arrested before leaving. Apparently the angry man was a friend of the arresting officer.

Then we have a friend who was in a bar when a shooting happened. That was scary. And Rick's closest friend and his wife were on a tour bus that was stopped and the police came on board, armed to the hilt. They never knew if these were criminals. They looked at everyone closely and pointed guns at tourists.

None of the above people will ever go to Mexico.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
So sorry to read of this incident, scary.

I have found that I have way less interest in traveling to Mexico too. I don't exactly spook easily but it seems like there has been a deterioration in the past 5 years. I think it was the incendiary device/bomb on the ferry in Cozumel that did it for me. It seemed previously that police were good at keeping crime down in tourist areas, or maybe the criminals themselves were smart about leaving tourist areas relatively untouched by violence.

One of my clients was telling me about this story: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...nia-mexico-police-investigation-a8124481.html

Four dead bodies hung from freeway overpasses in Cabo area, two of them on the roads to the airports in Cabo and La Paz. Just seemed to me that was a message to the tourist industry. Just too much for me. Cabo, PV and Cancun/Playa Del Carmen had seemed safe to me. Now I'm not willing to risk it.

Thanks for posting your story, its just another anecdote that I'll file away in my brain to help me with my decision making process. I too understand that stuff happens in almost all tourist areas but its helpful to have specifics like you've provided. Sorry your son was hurt, but I'm glad he made it home ok.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We were in San Jose del Cabo for 3 weeks in January and February of this year. We even made 2 car trips to La Paz. We alwys get a rental car and drive every where. We had a wonderful time. The locals were very friendly and helpful.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
On our first trip to Cabo , sometime in the early 90's, on the second day, at around 10 am, some guys that we met at the airport shark tank were going to take us on a presentation. The girls wanted the free stuff so we were in. The girls received a better offer at the resort we were staying at. The guys were off resort property so I went to tell them we were not going. This guy was yelling at me. I moved my car off resort property to turn around and then this guy sucker punched me. I saw it coming and the strike didn't take. The guy then said for me to "watch my back". While he was walking back to his group I decided to run him over. I almost got him. I jumped out to get him but four guys in hats had him. I realized these were police. I also realized that the car was still in reverse going down the street with out me. I had no choice but to chase the car and control it.

My buddy got into the car and I saw this guy driving away and the thought occurred to me that I had full insurance on the car so why not chase this guy down and bash them up a bit. Away we went. These guys must of been reading my mind as they sped up and turned onto the soccer field.

I went back to the resort and told the door man and he said they were already on it. I was told that this guy had to pay off the police and that the sales department at the resort had called the resort this guy represented. Supposedly, this guy was fired, but I kind of doubt it.

This is nothing compared to hanging out on Oahu where in some places everyone wants to get their butt kicked when they are young.

I guess why I posted this story is to illustrate that young guys very often use no common sense. It must be the testosterone and if you add a few drinks, woo hoo !! Young me might have chased the guy at the marina in Cabo too. Results vary.

Old me now smiles and thinks about chasing is all.

Bill

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
My 21 yo son was attacked in Cabo San Lucas a few days ago over Spring Break. He went with a group of friends to celebrate their senior year of college. He was pick pocketed on Medano beach, ran after the culprit and this person and another beat my son leaving him unconscious on the marina walkway. That is about all I know at this time. It was late, and I'm sure my son had been at the bar. I don't know if he was targeted at the bar, or just seen as a gringo target as he walked back to his condo.
Fortunately someone called the paramedics, but no police or security took interest. They must have heard someone was attacked if the paramedics were summoned. There was some medical attention from the paramedics, and they encouraged him to go to the ER. But, that was all the help he received. Fortunately, he is OK, and now home. Another American tourist helped him get to the airport, as he had no $, cc, ATM or phone left (these were taken by the thugs).
We, as parents, did not really want him to go to Mexico, but we have been to Cabo several times with him, he is fluent in Spanish, and he was with friends. We love vacationing in Mexico-and we know he loves going to that area. He just wanted to go to the beach, party w/ friends, and have a fun few days. He's an easy going guy and not argumentative.
Yes, I know thugs exist everywhere. And I know that 21 yo (especially young men) often do risky things like go to bars and stay out late. So, please no lectures about how this could happen anywhere.
This experience made the recent concern of more violence in the area personal. Violently attacking someone in the middle of a tourist area just for a phone and a bit of money is so cruel and unconscionable. It is beyond the concern about petty theft. This was assault, and there was no protections from law enforcement.
I know many on this site also love vacationing in Mexico--so please be more aware of your security if you visit.

I am so sorry for your son and your family. God bless you and I hope your son is healing from this violence and unnecessary trauma.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Yes, I figured the victim would be blamed in some way when I shared this. Beating someone who you just robbed is NOT lack of malice.
My reason for sharing it to point out there seems to be much more violent behavior in Cabo, and now we experienced it personally.

I am sorry the people on this forum are blaming the victim. I have noticed Tuggers often blame the victim. Your son did not do anything wrong. He is a 21 year old boy trying to have fun. He did not deserve to get attacked and beat up so badly that he got a concussion. Ignore the mean spiritedness on this forum. I am glad your son is home and safe with you now.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Passepartout--You are making a lot of assumptions, and I am quite aware of the various issues of being out late, being a young man on spring break, drinking, having an iPhone, etc. My reason for posting is to alert other travelers. You can assume all you want about my son, and how much he is at fault for the assault. I hear you. I don't agree with you. I think these types of forums are good ways to communicate information that may not be easily accessible through formal travel sites. I STILL think Cabo is becoming more dangerous, and simply wanted to alert others. Readers can do as they like with this information. I was hoping to possibly help avert another possible assault, especially for those that are unfamiliar with the area, or haven't visited in awhile. Im not a Polly Anna Mom--so no more advice on how I need to see how this assault happened. I have been grateful to others who gave me advice on my travel, and what crimes were prevalent in various areas. If you don't know about the area, and the travel literature does not address these concerns, then one may not be aware of dangers to try to avoid. So my final advice--In Cabo, avoid walking to your condo-even in the marina-, with a cellphone, after going to the bar at night--and if you do, do not expect any help from the police if you are assaulted by thugs that troll that area looking for victims.

As usual, people are ranting instead of providing you with support and empathy. Once again, I am sorry for your son and your family. No one should blame him for what happened. I support you 100%. Thank you for telling us about a real story that affected you personally so we know the real dangers in Mexico, not just the news media and statistics.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Silentg

It is not unusual for anyone who posts about a problem or safety issue to become a debate or blamed on this forum. So sad. I hope TUG Brian will take care of this (and many others) problem(s) on TUG before it is too late.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Loosefeet and several OP related stories about incidents that happened to them or someone close to them while they were vacationing both in the USA and other countries. The sad fact is that any popular tourist area provides an ideal opportunity for thieves, tourist are prime targets, the thieves are unlikely to be caught and while it is a big deal to the people who are robbed it often isn't to the local police because it happens so frequently. Because many of these areas or countries depend largely on the tourist economy they don't want the negative publicity and the incidents often get buried or no report is even filed.

We live in Florida and there are a number of well to do areas around us. Several times a year on TV one of the stories of the day is a woman who was robbed of her $1k-$2K designer purse, a large amount of cash, numerous credit cards, expensive cell phone and sometimes her jewelry in broad daylight in the grocery store or shopping center parking lot. The news report goes on to warn women to be aware of their surroundings, what they do that makes them a target and that there are thieves, often a man and a woman or even two women, who troll the stores looking for targets and follow them out into the parking lots. The person robbed is typically older, mid to later 40's-80's and always goes on about how violated and unsafe they now feel. It would seem that not a single one of these women watch the news, read the paper or know anyone who talked about any of these incidents in their locale over a period of several years. So apparently prior to their own selves being robbed they felt completely safe being a prime example of a target for thieves. Many people have little sympathy for these victims but that doesn't make them any less victims.

There is a huge difference between being stupid about your personal safety on a daily basis like the well to do Florida women and making a knee jerk type reaction in a situation like Loosefeet's son did. Of course he had a moment of thinking what am I going to do! I'm in Mexico with no money, credit card, ID or phone and I might be able to catch this guy and get my stuff back. How was he to know the guy had a buddy? Loosefeet's son is fortunate to be alive. Dsmrp's nephew died and rickandcindy23's nephew refuses to talk about what happened to him. Passepartout's story of the Canadian couple who were surrounded on a Mexican toll road and robbed of all their money, jewelry, electronics, a brand new pickup truck and felt fortunate to escape with their lives is terrifying. Shortly after we moved to Florida a couple in our dinner group back in Pennsylvania lost their son to a beating death. He was in college and mugged while walking back from a night at a bar without his buddies. The coroner's report said he had marks/bruises from attempting to defend himself. No one will ever know if he died because he resisted being robbed or they always intended to rob and beat him. The head injuries he received killed him but didn't die immediately; he lay in the snow for some time, dying, alone.

Sometimes even the people who do exactly what is recommended, do exactly what the robber(s) say, end up getting beaten or dying.

I appreciate Loosefeet and others sharing their stories and I also appreciate others caring enough to offer suggestions about how to stay safe. I don't feel that the comments are intended to reflect a lack of sympathy for what her son experienced nor to blame him. When we post our personal business, stories, in a public forum we are giving others permission to make their comments. There is a good chance that some of those comments aren't always going to be the same as our point of view or feelings but we have to know that is going to be the case and accept that. Unless OP's comments cross a line they have the right to make them without someone calling them a bully or mean spirited. This is what is known as a healthy discussion offering varying points of view or perspectives and the whole point of this website. I feel I've learned some useful information from this thread and am grateful that loosefeet started this thread and others shared their stories and advice.

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
....... sometime in the early 90's, on the second day, at around 10 am, some guys that we met at the airport shark tank were going to take us on a presentation. The girls wanted the free stuff so .....

Old me now smiles and thinks about chasing is all.

Bill

Thank you Bill - for posting / Old me does not have as good a story as yours .
Glad you made it .

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I have followed this thread from shortly after it started

Place -location is rarely the sole reason anything “bad”in life occurs .
Cabo - New Orleans - New York - Toronto or your home town

Circumstances - random interactions of time and place .
We all ( sometimes ) wish we could change the past and predict the future .

Loosefoot - I am glad your son is recovering and hope he feels well soon .

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I don't feel that the comments are intended to reflect a lack of sympathy for what her son experienced nor to blame him. When we post our personal business, stories, in a public forum we are giving others permission to make their comments. There is a good chance that some of those comments aren't always going to be the same as our point of view or feelings but we have to know that is going to be the case and accept that. Unless OP's comments cross a line they have the right to make them without someone calling them a bully or mean spirited. This is what is known as a healthy discussion offering varying points of view or perspectives and the whole point of this website. I feel I've learned some useful information from this thread and am grateful that loosefeet started this thread and others shared their stories and advice.
Well written post, Jan. I just wanted to comment that I fully agree with the highlighted statement above. I don't feel any of the statements made here were intended to "blame the victim" as a few have claimed. There is a big difference between objectively looking at the situation as an outsider that does not have an emotional attachment to the victims and making suggestions as to how to avoid those situations in the future vs. "blaming the victim". Sorry those few felt that way, but I know I have learned some useful tips from this thread and appreciate those who have replied with those thoughts and suggestions.

Kurt

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Sadly even i cant see much desire to travel to mexico anymore (or at least venture out from a resort)

When Riviera Maya became popular friends of ours started going there. They would tell us how they felt perfectly safe exploring the town during the day as there were soldiers/police armed with automatic weapons everywhere. These and other friends made yearly trips to other all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean Islands and Mexico. From what I've seen online when I've looked at them most of these all inclusive resorts seem to be in walled/fenced compounds and typically have armed guards. In the reviews I've read people say it is safe in the compounds but in some of the areas it isn't recommended that you take any side trips on your own. If you want to go out you should go with a guide or a guided group.

We chose to tie ourselves down to house payments and jobs when we were younger so didn't have the money or the time to travel. Now that we are finally retired, have the time and can afford to go, there are places I no longer want to go to. The world was, or maybe just seemed to be, a lot safer 35-40 years ago. When I hear people say "go, travel when you are young; you will never regret it", I'm wishing we had!