• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can you bring in food?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Are you allowed to bring in packaged snacks and/or frozen meats in a cooler?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Driving or flying ?

I have packed coffee , peanut butter, snack bars etc in my checked in bag . I declared then at the Puerto Vallata airport and had no problems .

Meat - (?) - I know I have read that there are restrictions on bringing meat(s) across the Mexican - USA border .
I cannot remember details / and it may also have been about transporting Mexican meat into the USA.

Fresh Fruit especially citrus could be a problem going either way .

I would make sure you know the rules before hand .

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to? The supermarkets in ANY of the major cities where you'd be likely to timeshare will be stocked with everything you could want. Walmart, Costco, Mega, Soriana are all modern, clean, well stocked and reasonably priced.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Asking for a friend- wanted to be able to bring in Kosher hot dogs for a grandchild with a very limited diet

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Asking for a friend- wanted to be able to bring in Kosher hot dogs for a grandchild with a very limited diet
I would think that frozen solid in a small cooler packed inside a checked bag, who would know? I have never seen anything about such things being forbidden. The main reason for my comment above was that these days, it costs to check a bag and then there are are costly weight restrictions. Enough so that hauling foodstuffs quickly becomes cost prohibitive.

I bring coffee and spices and the occasional adult beverage home from Mexico but have never considered taking it the other way.

Jim

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

There are likely some Kosher food(s) with availability in Mexico - certainly in Mexico City .

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I feel like I have seen information that bringing meat into Mexico is a no-no. At the time, I thought it was a translated page from the Mexican authorities. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: cant find it easily, but here is some information with a link to a site with the rules (in Spanish) https://fmirentals.com/bringing-food-mexico/

Last edited:

lauramiddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but it doesn't look like you're able to bring in fresh or frozen meats. While I've never been looking for kosher foods, I have found the grocery stores well stocked in larger tourist destinations. Even smaller locales, such as isla mujeres are getting large supermarkets. I'd Google kosher (your Mexican destination). Googling kosher cancun, I found

http://www.jewishcancun.com/templates/articlecco_cdo/aid/513110/jewish/Kosher-Food.htm

Which seemed helpful.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We drive to Rocky Point, Mazatlan, and Rosarita Beach and take frozen food with us there. When we fly, we do carry on only and do not take food with us other than some snacks. TSA looked into one of our bags that had a bag of Peanut M&M's this year! I do bring the disposable salt & pepper shakers and maybe some other seasonings, but everything is in a brand new container that is still sealed.

When we drove home from Rocky Point in an RV once, the Customs Agent came in and checked the fridge. He took our pre-cooked bacon and raw eggs.

Here is a link that explains what you can bring across the border. http://rockypoint360.com/what-food-can-i-bring-across-the-border-into-mexico/ Since the hot dogs are not pork, I think you can take them.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

Yes and no. If you bring food, it is a subjective call on the person inspecting the food if it is allowed or not. Most of the time if the product is an unopened, processed, frozen food in the original packaging it is allowed in. Often times the bags are not checked.

If you bring an ice chest you it will be inspected. I bring a small ice chest as carry on for all of our Mexico trips and it is always checked. We usually have a frozen garlic chicken casserole from Costco in the bottom to cool sandwiches and snacks we eat during the trip. The casseroles always make it for our first meal in the condo if we need it.

Bill

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We always bring Greek yogurt, English muffins, cream cheese, and snacks with us. 2 years ago I had an apple in my carry on - I forgot to eat it on the plane. All the food was ok but the apple was confiscated! I don’t recall seeing kosher meat in any of the grocery stores.

sunshine3330

Reaction score
When traveling to Mexico with the grandkids and they being picky eaters, I needed to bring various foods and snacks. In the early days cooked meats were no problem, but times have changed. I found Mexico's government site years ago which listed which foods could be brought into Mexico which saved a lot of headache. See attached link. https://www.gob.mx/cms/uploads/atta..._actualizada_18_de_agosto_2018_traduccion.pdf

Garden115

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a request for a US meat product last year and after visiting the customs website (suggest you also visit the website for Mexican entry from US). I made sure the meat was pre-packaged, froze it, and in the morning I flew, the frozen container went inside at the center of the suitcase, wrapped in plastic. I do not trust airport personnel to be fully apprised on distinctions due to a past experience. No dogs caught the smell and I delivered the gift. Freezer to refrigerator was about 13 hours.