• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can you exchange with RCI to Tradewinds more than 1:4?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Just wondering if there is ever a way to circumvent this rule?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I've thought about this because I have two RCI accounts (personal/HGVC) but Tradewinds seems like a pretty small organization and they communicate with you via email so I think that there would be a high probability of them making the link. You can always rent points from an owner if you want to go more often than 1-4.

Also, I am definitely waiting to see if I like it enough to go more often than once every four years. Tight quarters, no AC on some of the boats, and expensive costs to get to the bases are some of my concerns. We are going to French Polynesia and I'm really not a fish eater. I eat it to be polite but it seems as though I may have to be very polite on this trip or miss some meals. (It appears to be very seafood heavy). Beer/wine choices are limited and not what we normally drink either. Not a deal breaker but it will definitely require an attitude adjustment - on top of the AI fee of almost $2,500. I am still super excited to go but I'm not sure that it will be a regular thing for me. We will see...

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Pretty sure RCI tracks 1:4 rule by account not person

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pretty sure RCI tracks 1:4 rule by account not person
Agreed. But when we stayed at Rams Horn in Estes Park I spoke with the developer/manager about the 1 in 4 rule and he assured me that it was resort driven, not RCI driven. I assume the same with Tradewinds. So I speculate that they would notice the same name/email address. But I certainly don't know for sure. I'm not going to test it. The travel cost are too high to be on the wrong side.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
I believe you can go as a members referral. That is how I first went on a sailing with Tradewinds and I ended up becoming a member. With the referral you can pick what class boat you would like, and it’s all one price, no extra all-inclusive fees. You can only go as a referral once.

Most of the Cruising Class boats have AC now. The Luxury and Flagship Class of boats will definitely have AC. Each boat should have a Stand up Paddleboard (SUP), kayak, noodles, scuba and snorkel gear.
I’ve been to the British Virgin Islands and Antigua. I have reserved for next year St Vincent and the Grenadines, then Belize.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Here are some pictures from my sailings:
C59585B9-6286-471E-AF1F-0E61F979E72B.jpeg
051EA892-908B-4566-8F99-F0877AE638AC.jpeg
A944E281-5FBE-46B8-8611-95019A72DCD2.jpeg
FE5CC9B8-E86F-44CD-829F-338AC64458B3.jpeg
CA0392A1-BB9D-4F52-8CC9-6B048F263576.jpeg
B879EF74-5312-43E0-AD69-8B697655F969.jpeg

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I believe you can go as a members referral. That is how I first went on a sailing with Tradewinds and I ended up becoming a member. With the referral you can pick what class boat you would like, and it’s all one price, no extra all-inclusive fees. You can only go as a referral once.

Most of the Cruising Class boats have AC now. The Luxury and Flagship Class of boats will definitely have AC. Each boat should have a Stand up Paddleboard (SUP), kayak, noodles, scuba and snorkel gear.
I’ve been to the British Virgin Islands and Antigua. I have reserved for next year St Vincent and the Grenadines, then Belize.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Here are some pictures from my sailings:
View attachment 8325 View attachment 8324 View attachment 8323 View attachment 8322 View attachment 8321 View attachment 8320

How much do you pay if you get a member referral? We went to St Vincent and Grenadines last year and we are going to St Thomas next June. It would be nice to do another Tradewinds cruise in BVI. It was one of the best vacations we have been on.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How much do you pay if you get a member referral? We went to St Vincent and Grenadines last year and we are going to St Thomas next June. It would be nice to do another Tradewinds cruise in BVI. It was one of the best vacations we have been on.

The referral price depends upon the class of boat, season, and number of people in a cabin (either 1 or 2). For example, on June 1, 2019 there is a cabin available on a Luxury boat for 2 persons in the BVI’s. The members referral fee would be $3450. That includes all food, drink, alcoholic beverages 24/7, beds made daily, sheets and towels changed midweek, snorkeling and scuba equipment, but there may be a fee to scuba dive, I would have to ask. You will have the opportunity to go ashore to hike and shop if you would like.

If you check out the Tradewinds website you can look at the different islands Tradewinds are based at, and there are sample itineraries for each island. There are also short videos of the islands on the website too.
https://www.trade-winds.com/

I agree, the Tradewinds sailings have been my best vacations so far.

Tradewinds Luxury 59’ Catamaran in Antigua
952EB7F8-21F3-419A-8383-0959E48FCC1C.jpeg
45E263EF-6567-42E1-B70B-B53F1901807E.jpeg

The Baths, BVI

3895F9BD-8714-4F69-ADEC-A9E775C42692.jpeg

Shirley Heights, Antigua

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TravelTime, I just read the rules on the referral program; you only can participate if you have never sailed before With TradeWinds. Sorry!
Another option might be to come as a guest... That I would need more information from Tradewinds to see if that is possible.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
On the Tradewinds FB group I have seen people renting out points (but honestly haven't paid any attention to the details). Is that the same as going as a guest?

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
On the Tradewinds FB group I have seen people renting out points (but honestly haven't paid any attention to the details). Is that the same as going as a guest?

I’m not sure if it’s the same. I have an email into Tradewinds about the guest question so I hope to hear from TW on Wednesday.
The Tradewinds Facebook page is very informative. You may get an answer there.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We just booked a 10 night sailing cruise with Dream Yacht Charters on Feb 9 - 19 in French Polynesia.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We just booked a 10 night sailing cruise with Dream Yacht Charters on Feb 9 - 19 in French Polynesia.
Sounds nice!

I heard back from Tradewinds... If you have sailed as a RCI member before you can sail again as a guest of a member.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sounds nice!

I heard back from Tradewinds... If you have sailed as a RCI member before you can sail again as a guest of a member.

That is great! I inquired with TW before I booked DYC and TW told me I could not sail again as an RCI member so that is why I booked with DYC.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is great! I inquired with TW before I booked DYC and TW told me I could not sail again as an RCI member so that is why I booked with DYC.
That’s strange, we both got different answers...

It looks like DYC and Tradewinds sail in a lot of the same destinations.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I hope DYC is at least as good as TW. I am surprised that DYC is half the advertised retail price of TW. I wonder if TW marks up the retail price so it will seem more attractive when they are selling points packages?

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I got a reply email from Kishma McKree of Tradewinds Client Services and she said RCI members who have sailed before are eligible to sail as a guest. Tradewinds phone number (in the USA) is 1-888-401-1430.