• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancel Timeshare after 10 day cancelation period

taro tea

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange Lake Resort
Hi,

I really want to cancel my timeshare with Orange Lake Resort/Holiday Inn, but it is now 26 days after I signed the contract. I have not yet paid my down payment in full yet, I only paid $1000. I read the contract and it says "In Florida, if you buy a timeshare, you can cancel the timeshare contract up until midnight of the 10th calendar day following: the date you signed the contract, or the day on which you received the last of all required documents, whichever occurs later." What does it mean by "the day on which you received the last of all required documents?" What are the required documents? Can I still cancel since I haven't paid my down payment in full yet? Any help is appreciated, thank you!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Timeshare sales people make sure you are locked in before you leave, so I doubt missing documents would ever be an option. Here is the Florida law for what is required.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/721.06

Learn to love it and use it or kiss your $1000 goodbye and take the credit hit to break the contract.

Expensive lesson in contract law, good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Reaction score
And DO NOT talk to any firm that says they will get you out of it. They can't, nor will they. They'll ask for thousands up front, and you will be stuck with your OLRCC timeshare. Basically, the only way to get out of it is to default on it, which will put a major dent in your credit record. It can not be sold until it's paid off.

TS

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hi, welcome to TUG.

Many of us purchased our first timeshare from a developer and learned to use it the best way possible. Here on TUG you can learn lots to maximize your purchase.

If this is a purchase you really cannot afford versus buyers remorse you might want to default now accepting it will affect your credit rating.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
At this point you have two choices.

1. Keep what you have and make the payments.

2. Don't pay anything more and take the hit on your credit score. If they have your credit card or checking account number for any future payments find out what you have to do to block those payments. Screen your phone calls as you will get calls. You will lose the $1000 you paid.

taro tea

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange Lake Resort
Thanks everyone. I wonder how much it would affect my credit score if I stop paying for it? Will my timeshare account be closed if I stop making payments?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're beyond the time period in which to back out of the contract then you have several choices;

1) Keep it and make the best of it.

2) Stop paying for it and default (you will take a hit on your credit rating).

3) Resell it. You'll likely get little for it but at least you can unload it and get away from the annual obligations.

4) Give it away here on TUG and get out from the annual maintenance fees.

Best of luck!

taro tea

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange Lake Resort
If I want to pay a lawyer to cancel the contract, how much does it usually cost?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
If I want to pay a lawyer to cancel the contract, how much does it usually cost?

A lawyer can't cancel the contract for you and will just cost you more money that you won't get back.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Your contract does not say, "If you hire a lawyer, we will cancel this contract."

There are many lawyers who will give you an initial consult for a low-fee. They will advise you as your legal obligations and consequences of defaulting (as we have here), but they do not have have magic wands that can make your contract disappear.

In a contract dispute, one side wins and other side loses. Can you guess which side you (and your lawyer) would end up on. In short, it will cost you big bucks only to find out that their lawyers wrote an ironclad contract. Sorry. There are no magic wands.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
As others have said; you own it now. A lawyer can't likely get you out of it unless you declare bankruptcy. Doing so will affect your life for many years to come.....

taro tea

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange Lake Resort
thanks for the advice everyone! I decided to stick with my timeshare.