• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancelled Costco membership today

Status
Not open for further replies.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I went to fill up in Boca Raton after spending $90 in the store and did not even get the one thing we went there as it is not stocked there.

Costco does not allow the use of credit cards from out of country except Canada as the gas attendant lady has a work around for the zip code. Credit card holders issued from other countries are SOL. I was told that I could go back inside and purchase a gift card with my out of country credit card. But after already being in store I did not feel like going back.

Today went to the Pompano Beach location and purchased what we went in for yesterday and cancelled the card.

Apparently I am the first person disappointed that a non us/Canada credit card cannot be used at the gas pumps.

Seems there should be a better solution and would go back if Costco came up with a viable solution.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Somehow, I suspect they'll get along fine without you & others with cards they don't accept. They have negotiated a deal with Visa after Amex raised their rate. It's one of the ways they keep their overhead down.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I was trying to use a visa. No doubt they will survive without me and others who only have international credit cards. We do not number that many and second because they would spend less time in the US then people with US credit cards. But I do not have to accept it and if they feel like leaving money on the table then that is their choice. I am sure south Florida is one area with a higher percentage of people that have international credit cards.

How hard is it to have a pump that accepts only cash?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
How hard is it to have a pump that accepts only cash?

Cash is expensive to handle with having to hire people to take it, accounting, theft prevention etc. Electronic is much simpler to handle the majority of customers. I’d hate to see the confusion and lines that would result if people were trying to figure out which pump was cash vs credit.

I always get a Costco cash card for when we go to Costco in the US. The exchange rate is usually the best and it’s easy to use at the pumps even though we could use our Canadian Visa cards.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It would be extremely hard for Costco to set up a gas pump to handle cash. They would need to staff the pump specifically so you could pay for your gas, and the overhead in wages and such would likely make that a financial loss. Despite what it may seem, they don't make much money on gas - their markup is minimal. Gas is offered more as a convenience than anything else, which is why the pumps are all self-service.

Foreign credit cards are accepted inside the building, just not at the gas pumps. To accept a foreign credit card at the pump would require replacing the entire gas pump with one that will accept the complicated foreign zip codes, as you saw. There isn't enough money in the gas they sell to make that financially worthwhile. If you knew you were going to want to use that foreign credit card, you should have purchased a gift card while you were inside the building. Doesn't seem like it would be too inconvenient to give you the option of using that card.

So the viable option you ask for, which was offered to you that first day, was to buy a gift card while you're inside the building, so you can buy your gas on the way out. You decided it was too inconvenient to go back inside. The next day you were inside another warehouse buying something else, and you could have bought the gift card then. I'm guessing you didn't.

Cancelling your membership just because you can't use a foreign credit card at the gas pump seems a little extreme, but it's your choice, and your money.

Dave

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
First time I went to use a foreign credit card at a costco gas pump. Did not realize in the moment it could be an issue. I was completely unaware cash could not be used.

I understand it is a small issue and probably does not affect anyone else on here and maybe 1 out of every thousand coscto customers but it is poor thinking. Maybe raising the price of gas 100th of a cent would be enough for Costco to fix this.

I do not have a zip/postal code.

I purchased the stuff yesterday in good faith and what I purchased today I wanted to purchase yesterday but the location does not stock it.

I accept Costco does not care but all I am going to do is vote with my feet.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Given my experiences in the self checkout lines at Costco, I shudder at the prospect of a gas pump there that takes cash, particularly for people that are unfamiliar with the currency.

geekette

Reaction score
First time I went to use a foreign credit card at a costco gas pump. Did not realize in the moment it could be an issue. I was completely unaware cash could not be used.

I understand it is a small issue and probably does not affect anyone else on here and maybe 1 out of every thousand coscto customers but it is poor thinking. Maybe raising the price of gas 100th of a cent would be enough for Costco to fix this.

I do not have a zip/postal code.

I purchased the stuff yesterday in good faith and what I purchased today I wanted to purchase yesterday but the location does not stock it.

Why should I pay more for my gas because you want special arrangements to pay for yours???

It is not Costco's fault that you were "completely unaware". Read the message on the pump. If you want Costco to accept your payment, use payment that they accept. Citi card would do it and give you a rebate to boot.

Costco cares about its members by keeping costs down. Once you start demanding they accept whatever payment you want to use, the model breaks. The problem is not with Costco, they are very clear about how they keep costs down. Part of that is that you will not find every product every visit. I am not sure how a member wouldn't know that.

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am very surprised that you needed to enter a zip/postal code at the Costco pumps. As a Canadian, I often use Costco Gas in the western US , and I don’t remember ever having to do so. Simply my Costco membership card and then my credit card.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
A lot of credit card readers at gas stations, etc., now include a zip code verification as a fraud protection measure at least in the US. Sometimes at merchants I've been asked for my address so they can use the street number for id verification. It won't be a problem for OP only at Costco, but also any other gas station for the pay at the pump functionality, which can be an issue after hours. Probably best to get in touch with one's own credit card company to see if there is a work around to use or use a debit card or gift card. It's not a Costco-specific issue.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those who don't know, Canadian cards can be used by putting in your postal code in the following format.

If your code was T1A-2Z3, you would enter 12300.

The format is the numbers from your postal code and then two zeroes. Doesn't help the OP, but maybe someone else.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I am very surprised that you needed to enter a zip/postal code at the Costco pumps. As a Canadian, I often use Costco Gas in the western US , and I don’t remember ever having to do so. Simply my Costco membership card and then my credit card.

More costco locations are now requiring it. We first noticed this in California a few years ago. This past December they now require it in Florida. Midwest Costco’s and Arizona are the other ones we have recent experience with and they don’t require.

Perhaps higher degrees of theft in CA and FL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Looks like you can pay Costco gas with Debit card and pin. No zip on this method I think. Also, there is evidence that Samsung pay (on newer phones) may work with a slight-of-hand trick.

In my area, they are modifying the pumps with new electronic reading technology...but not active yet. No clue on the direction they are going.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score

Obviously, your membership is not working for you the way that you want with the gas payment issue and having to make trips to two different locations to purchase what you wanted. If it's not working for you, then voting with your feet and walking away from your membership makes sense. Before your recent "issues" was there an inclination to cancel your membership? Were you finding that there was no value in your membership? If you were not already considering dropping the membership previous to your "bad day" at Costco, is there a chance that you're "cutting off your nose to spite your face"?

Why should I pay more for my gas because you want special arrangements to pay for yours???

It is not Costco's fault that you were "completely unaware". Read the message on the pump. If you want Costco to accept your payment, use payment that they accept. Citi card would do it and give you a rebate to boot.

Costco cares about its members by keeping costs down. Once you start demanding they accept whatever payment you want to use, the model breaks. The problem is not with Costco, they are very clear about how they keep costs down. Part of that is that you will not find every product every visit. I am not sure how a member wouldn't know that.

Good points to keep in mind. Don't try to break the model. It's been working for years, obviously.

We all get inconvenienced (probably each and every day). It's a fact of life. Either this was a case of the OP already being dissatisfied with the Costco membership and this was the "final straw" or the OP was inconvenienced and will possibly find that a hasty decision made based on agitation will add further inconvenience (self-imposed) and costs when shopping for the items previously purchased at Costco.

It's about choice :thumbup: and the OP made a choice in his/her own best interest.......maybe. ;)

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score

I do not want a special arrangement. I want to be able to pay for my gas with my visa card. Maybe this is costing Costco more then just losing me at the moment and your gas would be cheaper and would receive a higher dividend. A lot of times the powers that be are clueless. I have not used the membership other then a car rental this past week since I rejoined last June to buy the very product I was looking for this time around and purchased it again at the same location. It did not bother me that the first location did not have what I was looking for. Just wish I choose to stop at one of the others we past earlier in the day.

Buying at costco or not buying at costco is not really going to bother me. If it was not for the membership fee then I would not take issue with not being to use my visa at a gas pump. But as a member I feel Costco should have a way for it to work.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Buying at costco or not buying at costco is not really going to bother me. If it was not for the membership fee then I would not take issue with not being to use my visa at a gas pump. But as a member I feel Costco should have a way for it to work.

If you feel strongly about it, you should bring it to the attention of Costco Corporate. If you go to the Costco.com website, there are a number of ways to communicate with them.

Dave

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
For those who don't know, Canadian cards can be used by putting in your postal code in the following format.

If your code was T1A-2Z3, you would enter 12300.

The format is the numbers from your postal code and then two zeroes. Doesn't help the OP, but maybe someone else.
That helps me. Thank you very much. I've run into this problem a few times in the states. Now I know the fix.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Sams Club gas pumps also require a zip code.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sams club has diesel, too. I like the Costco store selections better, but use both and get a 5% rebate from Sams, which is just down the block from my Costco and matches the price.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sams Club gas pumps also require a zip code.
The Canadian postal code thing works everywhere, or at least every where I've tried it. Shell, Texaco, etc. It's a workaround from the credit card network's.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I do not want a special arrangement. I want to be able to pay for my gas with my visa card. Maybe this is costing Costco more then just losing me at the moment and your gas would be cheaper and would receive a higher dividend. A lot of times the powers that be are clueless. I have not used the membership other then a car rental this past week since I rejoined last June to buy the very product I was looking for this time around and purchased it again at the same location. It did not bother me that the first location did not have what I was looking for. Just wish I choose to stop at one of the others we past earlier in the day.

Every non costco gas station I've been to requires a zip code. I guess you have to go inside to buy gas? And can't buy it after hours?

Where do you live that has no zip codes, but credit cards? I'm sure your credit card company has a workaround for the zip code.

geekette

Reaction score

You ARE asking for special treatment. Costco accepts "their" credit card (used to be Amex, now Citi) and debit cards. That's it. This is not a new rule, it's been this way since I became a member, maybe 10-15ish years ago.

My guess is that it costs more for Costco to honor anything other than these, which would increase everyone's costs on everything. I am no expert in cc processing but I do know that it costs the merchant which causes them to pass it along to the shopper.

I certainly understand if what they accept isn't what you want to use, and I would encourage you to dial them up to discuss. I would ask that if you do talk to them, please post back what they tell you because if it isn't about it costing them more then I want to know Why as much as you do!

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
You ARE asking for special treatment. Costco accepts "their" credit card (used to be Amex, now Citi) and debit cards. That's it. This is not a new rule, it's been this way since I became a member, maybe 10-15ish years ago.

They now accept any visa card, not just the Costco Citi.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Actually, they’ll take any visa credit cards, not just the Costco ones.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it's not working for you, then voting with your feet and walking away from your membership makes sense.

This has always been my modus operandi. When a service I buy doesn't work for me, I walk and never look back.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.