• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2014 ] Cancelling a Westgate Timeshare [merged]

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much we really appreciate all the help
Im sorry to keep asking but i have like a thousand questions
1) Is there a time for the credit records to expire? for example in Costa Rica after 5 years all the credit records get deleted, Im asking because i have Visa for 10 years so if they get deleted before that there should be no problem once i have to ask for it again.
2) the share time in under the name of my mother in law, my wife and me, we were thinking about asking them to remove 2 of us from the contract and leave just one (in case there are issues with the Visa in a future) is this possible?
3) I was thinking if accepting a "cheaper alternative" is like a new contract and we will have the option to cancel before the 15 days, don't believe they are so ingenuous,
Once again thank you for the help
First- Your Visa to travel WILL NOT BE AFFECTED by your credit report. Immigration- the governmental department that oversees travel and admittance to the USA is entirely different from agencies- like the credit reporting companies- which are private- not governmental. They have nothing to do with one another!

After you suffer a 'bad' credit report- such as a foreclosure or bankruptcy, it takes 7 years for those records to 'disappear', but you can dispute the report immediately after it's filed, and it's hard to imagine a future lender holding a timeshare default against someone. They know how predatory Wastegate is and will likely hold you blameless as long as you pay your other bills on time. Defaulting Wastgate may actually improve your credit by freeing up more of your income for other purposes.

Don't fall for the 'cheaper alternative'! You CANNOT make a new purchase, then rescind in order to 'get out' of the earlier purchase. It doesn't work that way.

If you are planning a trip to use the timeshare you bought and are considering defaulting on, DO NOT say anything while you are there. No good will come of any confrontation with the sales room. Those people have just one mission, and that is to separate you from more of your money! They have nothing o do with the lending arm that financed what you already bought. Completely different people in a different office. My BEST advice is to simply STAY AWAY from the sales room! If you must go there to get discounted tickets or parking pass or something, practice saying "NO, NO, NO" as many times as necessary.

Good Luck. But do not worry about defaulting. In the end, it will improve your life.

Jim

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
2) the share time in under the name of my mother in law, my wife and me, we were thinking about asking them to remove 2 of us from the contract and leave just one (in case there are issues with the Visa in a future) is this possible?

They won't do that because all 3 of you are obligated to pay the loan - they aren't going to let any of you off the hook.

3) I was thinking if accepting a "cheaper alternative" is like a new contract and we will have the option to cancel before the 15 days, don't believe they are so ingenuous,

It doesn't work like that - if you cancel the 2nd purchase, it just reverts back to the first purchase.

Your only option is to default and let it go into foreclosure.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much we really appreciate all the help
Im sorry to keep asking but i have like a thousand questions
1) Is there a time for the credit records to expire? for example in Costa Rica after 5 years all the credit records get deleted, Im asking because i have Visa for 10 years so if they get deleted before that there should be no problem once i have to ask for it again.
Once again thank you for the help

You have some very interesting (and legal) questions. My suggestions would be to consult an attorney who is knowledgable in Time Share transactions and law.

Tess L

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Las Vegas Nevada
Interesting. But simply cancelling the credit card does not cancel the debt of a legally executed and signed contract.

Looking back at your Nov.11 post, the bottom line suggests you contact Wastgate's Owner Relations Dept. Did you?

It appears they are, as suggested, playing hard ball. Unfortunately, you seem to owe them money, and they have found a way to collect it.

Sorry for the reality check. You went beyond the rescission period, and they took advantage of the situation- all along saying, "We don't make the laws, but if they are to our advantage, we'll use 'em against you."

It might be time to figure out how to use your timeshare. Believe me, you are not the first, nor will you be the last TUGger to have paid retail for their first timeshare (actually it's about half of us). Some have even gone back to the developer for more. There is something to be said for nice vacations.

Jim
Hi Jim,

Is this the address we use to cancel Westgate Timeshare purchased in Las Vegas, Nevada as well? Thanks so much. -- Tess

Westgate Resorts LTD
2801 Old Winter Garden Rd
Ocoee Florida 34761

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Jim,

Is this the address we use to cancel Westgate Timeshare purchased in Las Vegas, Nevada as well? Thanks so much. -- Tess

Westgate Resorts LTD
2801 Old Winter Garden Rd
Ocoee Florida 34761
That's the one.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Palace
Hi, me and my wife also bought a timeshare with Westgate on saturday. We both never heard of timeshare before so we thought it was a good investment but after we leave the building I started to read people review about timeshare and we decided to cancel due to all the bad review I read, a friend who owns a timeshare for more the 20 yrs, and this TUG. We bought it on Saturday and send the cancellation letter Tuesday which is our 3rd day with the contract. Once I know that they cancelled the contract for sure I will be back to let everyone know. Thanks for all the comments.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
so very happy you found this long going thread and were able to cancel!

fleurinde

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Palace
My husband and I purchased a timeshare from WG Palace after being invited for breakfast. We were adamant about NOT getting it but I guess after being pushed for 5 hours with our kids getting hungry and cranky, we finally relented after thinking we got a good deal. My husband could not sleep that night thinking about what we got ourselves into. Thanks to this website I was able to figure out that there was a 10-day cancellation period. This saved us $10,000 plus fees! We sent in our cancellation letter as well as the tablet and briefcase and also disputed the charges on our credit card. I will update you all once we get our refund. Thanks again! Maybe we will buy a timeshare some time in the future but after much research and consideration.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I purchased a timeshare from WG Palace after being invited for breakfast. We were adamant about NOT getting it but I guess after being pushed for 5 hours with our kids getting hungry and cranky, we finally relented after thinking we got a good deal. My husband could not sleep that night thinking about what we got ourselves into. Thanks to this website I was able to figure out that there was a 10-day cancellation period. This saved us $10,000 plus fees! We sent in our cancellation letter as well as the tablet and briefcase and also disputed the charges on our credit card. I will update you all once we get our refund. Thanks again! Maybe we will buy a timeshare some time in the future but after much research and consideration.
Congratulations on finding your way through this long, long thread and making the decision to rescind. Those Wastegate salesweasels use every trick in the book- and some they invent- to wear you down and coerce you into signing. It should be criminal! NOW. Stay off the phone. If you are in their unit- unplug the phone. No One you want to talk to will call you on it anyway.

Welcome to TUG. When you feel it's the right time to buy- RESALE- c'mon back and become an informed buyer. We can help.

Jim

fleurinde

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Palace
Congratulations on finding your way through this long, long thread and making the decision to rescind. Those Wastegate salesweasels use every trick in the book- and some they invent- to wear you down and coerce you into signing. It should be criminal! NOW. Stay off the phone. If you are in their unit- unplug the phone. No One you want to talk to will call you on it anyway.

Welcome to TUG. When you feel it's the right time to buy- RESALE- c'mon back and become an informed buyer. We can help.

Jim

Thank you so much for the resources. I could not believe that we bought one when we did. I'm not sure what came over us, honestly. I really disliked the fact that when we asked if we could have some time alone to discuss, they almost did not want to leave us alone and came back every two minutes. When I was about to give my credit card, I was still a little hesitant and the salesperson just snatched it from my hand. I should have cancelled it then and there! But hindsight is 20/20. I feel bad for the people around us who just signed their money away after a brief conversation with the agents. Also, even the notary who says she wasn't an employee of WG and was there to make sure we understood everything, did not mention anything about cancellation. It's almost like she hurried us into signing everything.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel bad for the people around us who just signed their money away after a brief conversation with the agents. Also, even the notary who says she wasn't an employee of WG and was there to make sure we understood everything, did not mention anything about cancellation. It's almost like she hurried us into signing everything.
We feel awful about the ones they sign up like lambs to slaughter. I wish we could erect a billboard that could be seen from the salesroom that would say, "RESCIND! BUY RESALE! $AVE THOU$AND$!" Instead, we just hope they do a search before time to rescind runs out.

Jim

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
We feel awful about the ones they sign up like lambs to slaughter. I wish we could erect a billboard that could be seen from the salesroom that would say, "RESCIND! BUY RESALE! $AVE THOU$AND$!" Instead, we just hope they do a search before time to rescind runs out.

Jim

Just remember their game and you won’t get slaughtered.

1. Offer a trinket. No different than putting a worm on the hook to catch a fish, or bait in a trap to catch and eat a rabbit.
2. Be friends. Soften you up before roasting. Think of it like getting trapped with the bait and now being tenderized for the BBQ. Hangmen used to befriend the condemned before hanging. It made them cooperate.
3. Apply pressure. Get different people working you over. The police do this to suspects to flesh out a confession. Sometimes, throw in an insult or two.
4. Get you to the signing table. Yep, you took the bait and cracked under the pressure. Signing needs to be fast just like long drop hanging to make death instant.
5. Get you out the door and hide documents so you don’t rescind.
6. Collect your cash and their commission. Thanks for the juicy payday you idiot. They actually are known to treat their customer as an idiot. Or maybe you are just a trophy or another notch in their belt. Yay.

Now you know how to turn the tables and make them the fool. Don’t sign nothing. Take your bait and wiggle off the hook. After all, you don’t look like filet O Fish anyway.

Better yet:

6cae08f0c79290b7d4060900d1970d62.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate blue tree resort
Hi all I purchased a timeshare in October 2018 from Westgate resort. I like to cancel it. I called to westgate to cancel it within 30 days.Representative told me it had past the 10 days cancelation period , if I have to cancel it it will go to collection and then foreclose. So I started looking for timeshare exit companies like wesley, resort release. Will it effect my credit if I exit the timeshare through these exit companies? Some of them are changing 5k and above.Or is there a better option? Thanks in advance.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Timeshare exit companies are frauds, not legit resellers.
They take your money, a POA to "sell it," and disappear.
You are left with a TS with a clouded title and less $$ in your pocket.

Better to offer a deed in lieu of foreclosure, or suffer the foreclosure.

Reactions: DrQ

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi all I purchased a timeshare in October 2018 from Westgate resort. I like to cancel it. I called to westgate to cancel it within 30 days.Representative told me it had past the 10 days cancelation period , if I have to cancel it it will go to collection and then foreclose. So I started looking for timeshare exit companies like wesley, resort release. Will it effect my credit if I exit the timeshare through these exit companies? Some of them are changing 5k and above.Or is there a better option? Thanks in advance.
If you are in financial hardship - then choose foreclosure & take the credit hit.
DO NOT USE AN EXIT COMPANY - unless you truly want to spend money needlessly.

If you think it was a "poorly understood purchase -then learn how to use what you bought .
Better vacations is your option .

TUG is Timeshare Users Group and you can learn how for free here .
In a poll - over 50% of members bought their first timeshare from the developer like you did .

Good Luck

Reactions: DrQ
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
If your credit score is decent and somewhat important to you, pay off the timeshare, then sell it. Or keep it and learn to use it. I don't know how Westgate works but they've got a decent amount of well rated properties in II. So trading should be very doable.
In order to make the most of a timeshare (I bought from the developer and had a very rough first year or two) you've really got to dig into it and figure out exactly how it works.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate blue tree resort
Thankyou all for your suggestions. My credit is very good and don't want to lose it . I really don't want to keep it due to maintenance fees jumping so high compared to what they told us. I don't think it's worth to keep it either . With the maintenance fees amount we can get descent resorts.I want to sell it but some people says reselling companies are also frauds. If I sell in this site here in TUG what is the process and what's the fees.Thanks in advance

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thankyou all for your suggestions. My credit is very good and don't want to lose it . I really don't want to keep it due to maintenance fees jumping so high compared to what they told us. I don't think it's worth to keep it either . With the maintenance fees amount we can get descent resorts.I want to sell it but some people says reselling companies are also frauds. If I sell in this site here in TUG what is the process and what's the fees.Thanks in advance
You truly are between a rock and a hard place. You recognize that high maintenance fees get you into nice resorts, but think they're too high. So do the rest of us. 'Get you out' companies are ALL frauds out for your money. We get that too. You don't want to wreck your credit score. Neither do any of the rest of us. So what makes you different than every other TUGger? Nothing. Welcome to TUG. So Join TUG ($15). Spread the word. Get newbies to read their contract. If you'd only read yours, you wouldn't be in the fix you're in now. If people knew the evil that Wastegate is and what they've written into their contracts, Wastegate would have to change, but obviously enough people sign then don't read what they sign until too late that the owner can build America's biggest house.

But lets say you can find someone to buy your week. Not an easy task. Wastegate poisons their contract to take out all the perks from resale contracts. They can't exchange internally until like 60 days before move in. Bonus weeks are stripped. Much higher fees. Plus, NOBODY WILL BUY IT UNLESS IT'S PAID OFF. Then, it's just a matter of a few hundred bucks to transfer title to a new owner. There are TUGgers who do it every day, and really it's not that hard to do it yourself.

Welcome to TUG. You are now faced with the reality that you are a timeshare owner. Enjoy the ride. And the vacations. At this point, the only choice is to pay it off and learn to use what you bought.

Jim

swditz

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate palace wk 52
briarwood cape cod wk 30
surfside cape cod wk 41
falls at Ogunquit wk 21
discovery beach wk 7
captains quarters wk 38
65000 inn season points
We bought from Westgate 6 years ago. While I would not recommend anyone buy resale because of the restrictions imposed, It is very different if purchased from Westgate. WE really like the resorts and go often. They treat owners quite well and offer a lot of amenities.
If you had caught it in time I would definitely say rescind. If however you do deside to keep it, learn how to use

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
We bought from Westgate 6 years ago. While I would not recommend anyone buy resale because of the restrictions imposed, It is very different if purchased from Westgate. WE really like the resorts and go often. They treat owners quite well and offer a lot of amenities.
If you had caught it in time I would definitely say rescind. If however you do deside to keep it, learn how to use
We own at Westgate at a property that was absorbed by the company. I can attest to the 2nd class treatment of owners who have not purchased retail. I have posted on this subject.

Run away, run away, run away!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

How much is MF?
Is it a float week ? / what season ?
book the highest “value “ week the earliest you can
Say Presidents Week 2020 - I bet the cost per night will be less than a much smaller hotel room would be in Orlando that same week .

In timeshares booking early & leveraging your MF cost into highly desirable weeks is part of getting value from the ownership .

1) Once it is fully paid off - Westgate has a deed back program . TUG posters have said it is about $900
which is approx. one year’s MF .

2) You can choose option (1)immediately / but personally I would try to use it before giving back .

Bean82

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
Can someone help me. My husband and I purchased from Westgate on the 29th of March in Gatlinburg. We got home yesterday and we just realized we made an awful decision. I was able to find this. I wrote a rescission letter to send. The problem is I went to open the cd that was given to us to print out the signature page. Guess what it’s empty. What should I do? I don’t know where to send this letter. I am sick to my stomach. I haven’t ate all day.

carnaby2905

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Resorts Orlando, FL
You truly are between a rock and a hard place. You recognize that high maintenance fees get you into nice resorts, but think they're too high. So do the rest of us. 'Get you out' companies are ALL frauds out for your money. We get that too. You don't want to wreck your credit score. Neither do any of the rest of us. So what makes you different than every other TUGger? Nothing. Welcome to TUG. So Join TUG ($15). Spread the word. Get newbies to read their contract. If you'd only read yours, you wouldn't be in the fix you're in now. If people knew the evil that Wastegate is and what they've written into their contracts, Wastegate would have to change, but obviously enough people sign then don't read what they sign until too late that the owner can build America's biggest house.

But lets say you can find someone to buy your week. Not an easy task. Wastegate poisons their contract to take out all the perks from resale contracts. They can't exchange internally until like 60 days before move in. Bonus weeks are stripped. Much higher fees. Plus, NOBODY WILL BUY IT UNLESS IT'S PAID OFF. Then, it's just a matter of a few hundred bucks to transfer title to a new owner. There are TUGgers who do it every day, and really it's not that hard to do it yourself.

Welcome to TUG. You are now faced with the reality that you are a timeshare owner. Enjoy the ride. And the vacations. At this point, the only choice is to pay it off and learn to use what you bought.

Jim
o

We own Westgate Leisure Resorts in Orlando. Would love someone to take it over. Have the deed.