• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2014 ] Cancelling a Westgate Timeshare [merged]

John O

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
Call the CC company and let them know you rescinded, offer to send them a copy of your rescission letter, and state that you wish to dispute the charge. This may suspend it until Wastegate refunds them.
Thanks so much. I have determined not to even use Westgate CC . Thanks again for your comment.

shakiraD

Reaction score
I am about to send my cancellation letter because I was conned by westgate in Orlando. They told me I could make money by owning a timeshare. I called the closing officer and sure enough, she lied to me saying to let her take care of it and that the 10 days doesn't matter. She says she will help me because they are going to charge me closing costs. I will not be answering her calls . My question is what exactly do I write in the letter? My contract only specifies to notify via mail to the address listed, then in fine print it says I will be charged $150 for the tablet and $50 for the binder if they don't receive it back. It also doesn't list a contract number, just a westgate account number. Will that work? Also, I paid the $2012 deposit with $1500 on a westgate credit card that they just opened and $512 from my personal credit card. Will they refund all the money to me and cancel that credit card or will they refund each credit card ? I don't really have use for the westgate credit card.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The letter doesn't need to be fancy or legalese., just : I we wish to cancel contract #_________, dated_________
Signed __________husband
____________wife

Promotional materials to be returned under separate cover. (Then do it and keep the postal receipt)
Send it and a copy of the signature page of the contract for ID purposes to the Old Wintergarden Road, Ocoee FL address.

You'll be refunded everything, but wait to cancel their credit card until the credit comes through.

Glad you found TUG in time.

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the way, whatever the salesweasel SAID is pure hogwash. Lies. The ONLY thing that is binding is what's printed in the contract. And in this case THE ONLY thing that matters is that 10 days business. After that time, you are an owner, and Wastegate will NOT let you out of the purchase without a serious and expensive legal fight...

Get it postmarked TODAY, and send the letter USPS Certified w/return receipt.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
And in this case THE ONLY thing that matters is that 10 days business.

I believe that the rescission period in Florida is 10 calendar (not business) days. The clock starts ticking on the day following contract execution.

Chris915

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas
Hi all,
We purchased a TS on September 15, 2017 for an Orlando property. We weren't happy with Orlando and called our closing officer about owing to to Vegas. She said sure no problem ( it was cheaper too). After reading a bunch of stuff on the internet we decided to cancel. I sent our USPS cancellation letter on Saturday September 23, 2017 (8th day of the 10 day window) it was certified delivered today. I also sent a cancellation letter for the Vegas property today, September 25,2017. I had not yet received the new paperwork for the Vegas property when I mailed the rescind letter. I received the paperwork today and it's dated September 22, 2017. Being that I sent the USPS certified letter today I'm within the 5 day window for Nevada properties. Please keep in mind that I have not and will not sign the Vegas paperwork. My question to anyone is; am I coved regarding both properties being that I sent 2 letters stating I wanted to cancel both Properties? What should I do with the paperwork I received today? Thanks in advance!

Chris915

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas
Hi all,
There we a bunch do spelling errors so I'm gonna try this again.

We purchased a TS on September 15, 2017 for an Orlando property. We weren't happy with Orlando and called our closing officer about moving the to Vegas. She said sure no problem (it was cheaper too). After reading a bunch of stuff on the internet we decided to cancel. I sent our USPS cancellation letter on Saturday September 23, 2017 (8th day of the 10 day window for the Florida property) it was certified delivered today. I also sent a cancellation letter for the Vegas property today, September 25,2017. As of this morning I had not yet received the new paperwork for the Vegas property when I mailed the rescind letter. I received the paperwork today and it's dated September 22, 2017 (3rd day of the Nevada 5 day window). Being that I sent the USPS certified letter today I'm within the 5 day window for Nevada properties. Please keep in mind that I have not and will not sign the Vegas paperwork. My question to anyone is; am I coved regarding both properties being that I sent 2 letters stating I wanted to cancel both Properties? What should I do with the paperwork I received today? Thanks in advance!

Chris915

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas
I know, I know. Still have errors. Lol

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that since you signed the original contract 10 days ago, you're playing with fire. And with your typos, it was kind of hard to decipher, but if I understand that you've mailed a rescission letter correctly, I guess that you've done all you can do. As to the new paperwork, I think I'd write a letter clarifying that a rescission has already been sent (include a copy) and hope that they add 2+2 and send you a refund. With Wastegate, if there is ever a benefit-of-the-doubt, they will take it.

We wish you well. Good Luck.

Jim

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, this is what is known in other circles as a gratuitous icon post. Mostly because I like to think our two icons are toasting in honor of the excellent advice you just gave. (See what I did there?)

Chris915

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas
From what I read the rescinded paperwork needs to have (at minimum) the USPS postmark within the 10 day window? Original paperwork was signed the 15th and the cancellation paperwork was mailed (postmarked) on the 23rd (8th day) and certified delivered today (10th day).

I have not signed the paperwork regarding the new property. I rescinded that property today (September 25, 2017). The new paperwork is dated September 22, 2017.

Am I wrong in understanding that the most important date is the date I mailed it out via USPS?

I hope I clarified myself a little better.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
You are correct that the date you mailed the letter is the only date considered.

Chris915

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas
Thanks Karen. Passepartout scared me a little bit with his response.

KrayzieCD

Reaction score
I read through this entire thread from start to finish and it makes me so happy to see all the folks who were helped out of making a horrible mistake. Yet, I still can't help but wonder how many folks just didn't do their research. Or didn't read the fine print on the contract until it was too late. I really can't stand that this shady ass company gets away with scamming honest, hard working people who are just searching for a week or two of happiness. Then you have this owner building a 60K foot house basically funded by all these folks he scammed. How can you live with yourself?

Sorry for the rant, it just pisses me off. We were almost conned in the same way but it was Welk resorts. I thought they were the worst.....until I read about Westgate. And saw that movie. And saw that Westgate's list of negative reviews and pissed off owners vs Welk was like comparing the population of California to the population of Wyoming.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Few would dispute that (at least in the U.S.) Westgate is "the worst of the worst" for lying, deceitful timeshare sales weasels and practices.
Wyndham weasels certainly have a solid lock on second place, but cannot hope to catch or beat the U.S. "champion" Wastegate.
However, the undefeated world champions of slimy timeshare sales weasels and deceitful practices are all in Mexico.

Last edited:

KrayzieCD

Reaction score
Few would dispute that (at least in the U.S.) Westgate is "the worst of the worst" for lying, deceitful timeshare sales weasels and practices.
Wyndham weasels certainly have a solid lock on second place, but cannot hope to catch or beat the U.S. "champion" Wastegate.
However, the undefeated world champions of slimy timeshare sales weasels and deceitful practices are all in Mexico.

Is there a thread where people talk about the kinds of lies the Mexican timeshare folks will say and the actions they take that make them the worst? I imagine that would be another entertaining read, like this thread was.

Are there any timeshare companies that are actually honest with their customers? As in, buying from them is actually a good experience?

I don't see Welk mentioned much in this board. But a lot of lies folks mentioned here are the same lies we received while on our presentation.

One thing my girlfriend and I vividly remember that was absolutely sleazy was when looking at the terms of the deal we were getting the salesman drafts up a paper. We look it over and notice there is a 5% restocking fee for if we cancel. We ask about it and the salesman says 'you don't have to worry about that since you're not gonna cancel anyway'. After getting home and looking over all the papers we couldn't find that paper anywhere. After we rescinded the purchase we were waiting to see if this 5% fee would be taken out. Nope. All our money back and they didn't even bother asking for their zip drive and binder back. So that BS paper was a ploy to convince us not to cancel.

Last edited by a moderator:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yes, you can find countless threads on that very topic in the mexico forum here on TUG.

vidanta is one regularly mentioned!

KrayzieCD

Reaction score
yes, you can find countless threads on that very topic in the mexico forum here on TUG.

vidanta is one regularly mentioned!

Thanks for the info!

And sorry about the swearing. I'm used to other forums where the expletives run free. And when talking about these timeshare developers all that runs through my mind are swear words. I will clean that up in future postings.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
i dont think many mind the occasional curse word (especially when describing developers)...but we do have a be courteous rule on here to keep things from spiraling out of control.

Chris915

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas
UPDATE!!!!
Signed contract 9-15-17
Rescind Letter mailed 9-23-17 (8th day of THE 10 day rescind period)
Received FULL Refund 10-4-17
Received Cancellation Letter 10-10-17
Now....Westgate Free!!!!!!!

They did not withhold any $$ for the tablet or binder but I will mail those back to them as promised in my letter.

Thanks for all the information and assistance to those on this Forum!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
very happy to hear you successfully rescinded your westgate purchase and got a full refund!

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
UPDATE!!!!
Signed contract 9-15-17

They did not withhold any $$ for the tablet or binder but I will mail those back to them as promised in my letter.

Just save the postage and keep them. If you already got your money back, they won't be billing you for them.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
UPDATE!!!!
Signed contract 9-15-17

Good for you! I would mail them back because you said you would. Keep your word and rise above their sleazy sales tactics.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just save the postage and keep them. If you already got your money back, they won't be billing you for them.

I respectfully disagree with both this conclusion and this recommendation. If the submitted rescission letter stated, under signature, that these materials would be returned under separate cover, Westgate would certainly have every right to bill for the full retail value of those items if not subsequently returned.
This is Westgate we're talking about, after all; I wouldn't put anything past them. Just return that stuff and wash your hands of those people forever.

Last edited: