TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Cancelling TLC Vacation Club

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling & Renting Timeshares' started by Sheena molina, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Sheena molina

Sheena molina Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Tlc vacation club
    after reading all these posts, what I’m not understanding is how these can not be cancelled after several years. It’s a contract yes, but no where does it state a time frame between parties. No where does it state an early cancellation fee. Unless TLC failed to send me a bunch of paperwork, the only agreement I have is a 3 year contract with RCI. I have no contract with TLC except to pay them for the timeshare which is already paid in full and to pay maintenance fees while in contract. It does say I have a right to cancel within 5 days but it does not say anywhere that I can not cancel any other time. This contract is less legal than my contracts with my insureds. What it also doesn’t say is that they have the right to report me if I don’t pay maintenance fees. Has anyone had success cancelling a tlc membership? We were totally scammed into this in the first place, it’s completely useless. We can’t sell it or even give it away. The fees are killing us. The contract I signed is literally nothing.

2. T-Dot-Traveller

T-Dot-Traveller TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Mayan Palace Regency
    Taranova
    Can you post more details on TLC Vacation Club .
    who - what - were ?

It sounds like you have a contract that gets you RCI access
    points or weeks ?
    how many ?
    what is the cost yearly ?

Why is it completely useless?

It sounds like you may have a non- deeded membership
    somewhat similar to a (long term) fitness / gym club membership.

TLC can likely put you in collection for non-payment .
    If that were to happen - is that a problem ?

More information will help someone on this forum give you a better answer
    to your question .

3. LannyPC

LannyPC TUG Member

So if I understand correctly, this is a vacation club and not a TS which would be deeded property. If that is the case, many "owners" like you terminate their membership by simply stopping payments. You said that they have the right to report you. That does not necessarily mean they will report you.

In the Mexico forum, there is a thread (you will have to search) discussing what happens when people stop payments on their right-to-uses or memberships. The results are not desirable but they are not catastrophic. You will have to decide what you want to do after reading that thread.

But the one thing that we generally emphasize here on TUG is to not pay any of these companies or law firms that claim they can cancel or exit you from your timeshare or, in your case, travel club membership.

And BTW, you said, "It does say [you] have a right to cancel within 5 days but it does not say anywhere that [you] can not cancel any other time." That's a typical legal right in Mexico when you sign a contract for a timeshare, right-to-use, or travel club membership. Mexican law gives buyers a 5-day cooling-off or rescission period. It allows buyers to legally cancel or rescind their purchase without any penalty. But you only have five days to do it. The rescission period varies from country to country and state to state.

T-Dot-Traveller likes this.
  4. John Jacobs

John Jacobs Guest

Any update on what you decided to do, and what the ultimate outcome was? We're about 5 years in to our TLC membership, and I've yet to use any of my points, just paying maintenance fees year after year for nothing. I'd like to cancel since my initial purchase price is paid off, just not sure if I can, or how to go about doing so.
    Thanks for any help!

5. TheTimeTraveler

TheTimeTraveler TUG Member

Can you please inform us here on TUG as to where the TLC Membership is located ? Is it Mexico ?

6. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

John, If you have a deed to some Real Property, you can give it away, sell it, whatever. But I suspect this is just a 'Vacation Club' in which you actually OWN nothing. If you want out, just quit paying. They will cancel your membership. It has no teeth to charge you with anything. There is no property to foreclose on, so go on about your life, hopefully wiser. Unfortunately, poorer.

Jim

7. LannyPC

LannyPC TUG Member

I will add to what Jim said. You might face a bunch of threatening collection calls and letters if you stop paying. You might face a hit or ding on your credit rating. Those should go away after a while.

Just be careful about, or actually don't use, any of these firms that claim they can cancel or sell your membership. They'll charge you thousands of dollars to do something you can do yourself.