• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can't Get Frameless Shower Door Fixed

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Not to mention that tradesmen expect to:crash: get paid like physicians.

I'm sure they would like that and I'm certain to many people it really seems like it. :D The guys I know are just trying to make a decent living. :thumbup:

Many journeymen workers get paid Union scale wages or less depending on skill level. Somewhere between $20 and $40 per hour in wages. There is also an employer tax load the which adds about 11% of the wage. Then there is L&I which adds about $3.80 per hour in WA. Then there is medical insurance which adds about $4.00 per hour. Then there is paid holidays and vacation which add about $2.50+ per hour. Then there is the overhead cost of the employee which is the accounting and educational costs which cost about $1 per hour. The $30 per hour worker actually costs the employer about $45.00 per hour. The markup is at least 30% or $13.50. So hourly cost is close to $60.00 per hour more or less.

And then ? Other costs include basic stock materials, vehicles used, equipment used and tools. And then there is the required products used for the job. I know I'm missing some "and then's" but it really adds up fast. Small jobs are more expensive because they are too small. $1000 doesn't go to far regarding professional remodeling.

I'm pretty sure that doctors earn way more and have way better benefits than carpenters. I know my doctors do.

Bill

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Just so everyone knows, the guy who quoted the $1000 is the owner of the company and he is the only worker. He installed the door in our other bathroom by himself. He does have a storefront and one employee who tends to the customers who come in.

And we are not hiring him. It is just way too much money and better to live with the door the way it is- it is not that bad. We are currently just leaving it for awhile and will "play" with it again when and if we feel like it. We are tired of fiddling with it at this point. Hopefully it won't get worse.

Thank you everybody for your helpful suggestions!:thumbup:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they would like that and I'm certain to many people it really seems like it. :D The guys I know are just trying to make a decent living.

Many journeymen workers get paid Union scale wages or less depending on skill level. Somewhere between $20 and $40 per hour in wages. There is also an employer tax load the which adds about 11% of the wage. Then there is L&I which adds about $3.80 per hour in WA. Then there is medical insurance which adds about $4.00 per hour. Then there is paid holidays and vacation which add about $2.50+ per hour. Then there is the overhead cost of the employee which is the accounting and educational costs which cost about $1 per hour. The $30 per hour worker actually costs the employer about $45.00 per hour. The markup is at least 30% or $13.50. So hourly cost is close to $60.00 per hour more or less.

And then ? Other costs include basic stock materials, vehicles used, equipment used and tools. And then there is the required products used for the job. I know I'm missing some "and then's" but it really adds up fast. Small jobs are more expensive because they are too small. $1000 doesn't go to far regarding professional remodeling.

I'm pretty sure that doctors earn way more and have way better benefits than carpenters. I know my doctors do.

Bill
And the guy who works by himself or perhaps with a family member, who has very few of those expenses, yet still bills out at $75/hr ? It's gotten ridiculous what folks want to charge for simple things I can do myself.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And the guy who works by himself or perhaps with a family member, who has very few of those expenses, yet still bills out at $75/hr ? It's gotten ridiculous what folks want to charge for simple things I can do myself.

I feel the same at times Elan. I do get it. Especially when I took my wife's car to the shop.

I might not have been very clear on the costs of a small remodel job. A business has to charge a profit equal to the costs or that business will not be around for long. If xactimate software is used you could see all of the costs. This is similar to insurance adjuster software. Things add up very quick.

The small business guy working on their own has more expenses than most if they are bonded and licensed . If you think about it, that person has to pay for everything, including their retirement, health care, business expenses, taxes, ect., and if that person just buys jobs with price, that person will fail in some aspect.

Bill

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to deny anyone a decent living, and being a practical guy myself, I probably value skilled trades as much as anyone. But when it makes financial sense for me to take time off work to do something instead of hiring it out, there's something wrong. Perhaps marking up every laborer's billed time by "at least" 30% AFTER expenses is part of the problem???

Last edited:

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
There are definitely various economic forces at work here.

DW is a licensed marriage and family therapist. Master's degree, 3000-hour internship, intense oral exams, 30 years experience, has a physical office. Insurance pays max of $67 an hour. You can try to bill more privately, but few in our area will pay it.

I needed a 12-foot oleander bush-became-tree taken down. 15 minutes, plus disposal of tree. $200. Even at that I was a happy customer as I have neither a chainsaw nor a trailer. But three years ago I had a 40-foot pine tree taken out from between our house and neighbor. About 16 man-hours, much more dangerous, and lots more to dispose of ... only $1200. I have trouble understanding the scale of thing, I guess.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not blaming the trades, they charge what they can get away with. I just don't play their game any more than I have to.

Somehow, our society has devolved over the last 50 years to the point where folks are afraid/unable to do anything themselves. To the point where I've suggested to my kids that they at least consider foregoing college to learn a trade. Seriously.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One of the problems with trade type work is eventually you get too old or have a health problem, usually before you turn 60. My problem happened at 57 but we planned for it, so all is good.

I looked at the construction estimator for replacing the frame less shower door hinges and get a range of between $700 and $1500 depending on condition of the surrounding structure. If the structure is over 10 years old it seems the condition level is a factor in cost.

Bill

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the problems with trade type work is eventually you get too old or have a health problem, usually before you turn 60.

Bill

Yep, but by the time one's been doing it for 30ish years, they should be running a crew or a business, not laboring themselves.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yep, but by the time one's been doing it for 30ish years, they should be running a crew or a business, not laboring themselves.

I doubt that you really understand what your talking about !!!:D

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Not to mention that tradesmen expect to get paid like physicians.
I just had this discussion, I'm getting my parents house ready to sell in April or May

I just had a painter come out and paint the entire house, replace all of the 1970's lighting fixtures, replace the garbage disposal, replace the hot water heater and replace 3 toilets and I paid him $9,100 for the whole job....I picked the wrong profession...

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just had this discussion, I'm getting my parents house ready to sell in April or May

I just had a painter come out and paint the entire house, replace all of the 1970's lighting fixtures, replace the garbage disposal, replace the hot water heater and replace 3 toilets and I paid him $9,100 for the whole job....I picked the wrong profession...

I don't know where you live or what the quality of the parts were but that is one heck of a lot of work for $9100. If the guy did painting, plumbing and electricity he's not a skilled laborer but a general handyman. Still, thats a lot of work for the price.

As far as tradesmen getting paid like physicians I think folks are putting the cart before the horse. My last visit to my family doc took 20 minutes and she banged the insurance for $350 and they paid. Tradesmen aren't cheap but they don't come close to physicians.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I doubt that you really understand what your talking about !!!:D
Could be. Or maybe you're just a bit salty because what I said rings true? All kinds of possibilities...

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Could be. Or maybe you're just a bit salty because what I said rings true? All kinds of possibilities...

I'm not one bit salty, lol. I was able to semi-retire by 50 and only work now on what I want because I enjoy it.

Most contractors are sole proprietors that have few employees if any at all. Most are required by law to bond and license. Most do so because they really enjoy their work. In my career, I have had times of many employees to times of just using subs. Most contractors are using subs these days to mitigate the labor laws, Federal regulations and possibility of lawsuit's.

Contractors hire tradesman meaning most tradesmen are employees. Most enjoy what they do and that is why they do it.

I think it would take too long to explain so I give up, you win, because I really don't care. I think just maybe you might be unhappy because you feel that you overpaid some one to cut your grass or flip your breaker and in your case, it is just sour grapes. I get it. I experienced the sour grapes 9 months back when it cost $2300 to fix my wife's car truck. Something I would have done in my shop myself for the cost of parts which were maybe $300. Life goes on , hakuna matata Elan.

Bill

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it would take too long to explain so I give up, you win, because I really don't care. I think just maybe you might be unhappy because you feel that you overpaid some one to cut your grass or flip your breaker and in your case, it is just sour grapes. I get it. I experienced the sour grapes 9 months back when it cost $2300 to fix my wife's car truck. Something I would have done in my shop myself for the cost of parts which were maybe $300. Life goes on , hakuna matata Elan.

Bill

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong. I seldom hire anyone to do anything around my house because, most of the time, I can do it myself. Aside from getting higher quality work by doing it myself, I acquire a few nice tools, learn a ton, and still save a small fortune in the process. Win-win-win-win. It's definitely not sour grapes, because, as I said, I seldom play your game. I've replaced the intake on my truck, re-soldered cold joints on my TV, refrigerator and truck dash, built an 80ft retaining wall and other DIY projects too numerous to even recall. And I don't pay anyone, other than my son, to cut my grass. :)

FTR, I don't care either. Next time, bring your truck down and I'll fix it for you! But you supply the parts and the beer! :D

nkldavy

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Get in touch with Ask This Old House and see if they'll get someone to do it. Worth a try. 15 minutes of fame for you:)