• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car rental in Phoenix

Danjos

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spinnaker and Sheraton oasis, Grandview
Anybody have good experiences with car rentals in Phoenix. I have found the costs crazy sometimes more than the flight. Looking for some information for my next trip.

Thanks

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
No experience, but check the usual places. Costco, if you are a member. AutoSlash, which will monitor your reservation and notify you when prices drop.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have found some off-airport sites save from the airport fees. Try Budget in Tempe. It won't make a taxi driver happy, but so be it. Be sure to call ahead and check that the hours work and that they have the car you want. Some of these places are primarily truck rental places. If you rent there, you can return the car to the airport rental facility.

Jim

Danjos

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have found some off-airport sites save from the airport fees. Try Budget in Tempe. It won't make a taxi driver happy, but so be it. Be sure to call ahead and check that the hours work and that they have the car you want. Some of these places are primarily truck rental places. If you rent there, you can return the car to the airport rental facility.

Jim
Thanks I suspect a taxi ride isn’t that much from the airport I will check off airport sites.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've done just what Jim suggested and cut our rental in half. Check off-site prices, and take a taxi.

Danjos

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We've done just what Jim suggested and cut our rental in half. Check off-site prices, and take a taxi.
I will definitely check this out

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
The off-site location in Tempe that we used, closed at 6 but you could return the car to any of their locations (other than the airport).

ottawasquaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anybody have good experiences with car rentals in Phoenix. I have found the costs crazy sometimes more than the flight. Looking for some information for my next trip.

Thanks
Supply & demand. Pricing depends a lot on when you are planning to rent, etc. Say, next month? March?
I've rented on-site & off-site, though it's been a few years. Ride share, such as Lyft are super easy at Phx. There's a designation curb and when I was there last month, there were airport employees assisting to make sure you got your ride, etc. Of course, this was during the Phx Open.

Dorothy

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pinestead Reef, Players Club HH, Mountainside VIllas, Legacy Spas
Try Costco, and set up for the off site Budget at the closest Sears. $12 to the taxi, and you can return to the airport at no charge.

ottawasquaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try Costco, and set up for the off site Budget at the closest Sears. $12 to the taxi, and you can return to the airport at no charge.
Budget rental at a Sears? That's interesting, though I can't think of where a Sears might be. Where have you done this? Here in Phoenix?

DJensen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tempe may be closer, but a few years ago a taxi (or now Uber/Lyft) to Scottsdale airport was substantially cheaper for car rental. Still returned to PHX

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I really like the rental experience at PHX. You grab your bags and get on a bus right out front. Everyone renting gets on the same BIG bus, so there's no waiting for "your" company's little bus. All the rental counters are in the same place, all the cars are in the same building. When you return the car, just get in the bus going to your terminal and there you go. It seems to go quickly and efficiently. As compared to places like OGG Maui, for example, where you stand there waiting for "your" company's little bus, and get frustrated because you see the buses of every other company except yours.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really like the rental experience at PHX. You grab your bags and get on a bus right out front. Everyone renting gets on the same BIG bus, so there's no waiting for "your" company's little bus. All the rental counters are in the same place, all the cars are in the same building.
Problem is that there is a HUMONGOUS airport- or tourism- or stadium (I forget what it's called) tax on rentals from that (yes, it's VERY nice) consolidated rental facility.

ottawasquaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Problem is that there is a HUMONGOUS airport- or tourism- or stadium (I forget what it's called) tax on rentals from that (yes, it's VERY nice) consolidated rental facility.
Compared to? As I've said, I haven't rented there in years. When I've rented off-site, it was at a resort in Scottsdale on Scottsdale Rd just North of Old Town. I'd get a ride from a friend, but if you are paying $15 for a cab or ride share, wouldn't that be about the same as the tax?

Finally, as nice as the Auto Rental facility at PHX is, INDy wins hands down. While not much of a vacation destination, it's a sportscasters and sports fan favorite and many conventions are held there. At Indy, the auto rental is right there! It's as close as crossing from the terminal into the parking facility. Really terrific for both pick-up and drop-off.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Compared to? As I've said, I haven't rented there in years. When I've rented off-site, it was at a resort in Scottsdale on Scottsdale Rd just North of Old Town. I'd get a ride from a friend, but if you are paying $15 for a cab or ride share, wouldn't that be about the same as the tax?
According to this article, PHX car rental fees have a 15.1% tax, 11.11% concession fee, 3.25% stadium tax, AND a $4.50/day airport surcharge. For a $30/day rental for a week, that would add $93.37 for the convenience of renting at the airport.

Kurt

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
According to this article, PHX car rental fees have a 15.1% tax, 11.11% concession fee, 3.25% stadium tax, AND a $4.50/day airport surcharge. For a $30/day rental for a week, that would add $93.37 for the convenience of renting at the airport.

Kurt

RENT OFF AIRPORT AND SAVE $$$

In Oct 2013 - we flew to Phoenix and rented from Enterprise ( offered Mexican Ins. to go to Rocky Point / Puerto Penasco MX
In Oct 2014- we flew to Phoenix and rented from Enterprise - off airport AND SAVED $ 500 - to go to Puerto Penasco MX

FYI - not all off airport locations are open Sunday for drop off .

FYI (2) Phoenix is on Mountain STD time - and we flew from Buffalo ( Eastern DST ) on a Southwest flight that arrived approx 4:30pm .
add Phoenix rush hour and a dinner stop and a 4 hour drive .

2nd year we flew a day earlier and stayed in Ajo Arizona ( La Siesta Motel & cute cabins ) that night & reached the Mayan Palace Puerto Penasco MX midday instead of 11 pm local time (and ) close to 2 am Eastern DST .