• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car rental price drops

jdent1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV Bella
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I'm heading for Maui September 1st for two weeks. I made car rental reservations through Costco in March. With seven of us going I need the large SUV (Surburban/Navigator). In March the best price was $1256 with Budget. As many have advised I kept checking prices and watched as the same rental slowly went up in the months since. A week ago it was close to $2,300 for the same rental. Then Friday night I checked again and Alamo comes in at $784. By the time I get home its down to $756. Today the price is $724!

As many have said - keep checking those prices. Thanks for the advice!

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good to know. We're heading out Sept 20th and I thought the prices were as low as they were going to go (have dropped about 3 times some Jan). I will keep checking

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Keep checking, and check again a day or so before your rental starts. I'd always thought I got the best price about 6 months out, but for a rental on Maui earlier this year I checked again a couple of days before (through Costco) and found an even cheaper rental.

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My theory is that many travelers know how to play the game now. With Costco, Discount Hawaii Car Rental and others, we can reserve without deposit.
So we all do, sometimes 2 or more if we haven't decided on model.
Then as we get close we start cancelling unneeded reservations putting more cars back in the pool, and prices drop as more rebook, dropping price more.
Doesn't always happen. But at least you have a guaranteed rental.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Put your Costco rental into Autoslash and they will watch the price and rebook you each time it drops.
It is a great and free service that I have used for several years now. I've been posting about them on Tug whenever I see someone looking for cheaper rates. Many others on Tug now also use Autoslash.
You can also look them up on Facebook. Their customer service is great at responding right away.
Bart

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Put your Costco rental into Autoslash and they will watch the price and rebook you each time it drops.
It is a great and free service that I have used for several years now. I've been posting about them on Tug whenever I see someone looking for cheaper rates. Many others on Tug now also use Autoslash.
You can also look them up on Facebook. Their customer service is great at responding right away.
Bart
I have done this recently. I currently have three car rental reservations, all with AutoSlash. Two of them are with Hertz, but through Priceline. I may have misunderstood the AutoSlash rep, but I think he told me that when the rentals are booked that way (I requested it on the AutoSlash website, but it was booked through Priceline) that they no longer monitor the pricing. It has something to do with booking through another reseller. Or maybe it was that I had to register that rental again in order for them to track it. I hope I'm being clear. :confused:

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
I usually use Costco but this year I used Autoslash, very satisfied. It seems to have changed since then because I just tried for a reservation for next year and it only sends me to Priceline and Priceline wants credit card information and in the terms and conditions it says the rental is non refundable, non changeable, and non transferable. Also, to check on prices after you have booked you have to go back to autoslash.com/track. I will not use Autoslash for a non refundable reservation. This from Autoslash:

Thanks for contacting us, and sorry for any confusion. Because of the fantastic deals that we find for our customers, the major rental companies have recently refused to allow us to book reservations directly with them. We are disappointed by their very customer unfriendly stance.

For vendors that we can no longer book direct, you’ll see a link in our offer emails to book at the discounted rate through an alternate site at our typical discounted rates (NOT Priceline’s standard rates). The majority of deals we offer through Priceline DO NOT require bidding or any sort of prepayment. You’ll generally pay at the rental counter. While we understand that this may not be as convenient for our customers as booking direct with AutoSlash, we nonetheless remain 100% committed to helping our customers book at the lowest rates available.

Reservations booked on a site other than AutoSlash can be tracked for price drops and better deals by going to autoslash.com/track and entering your rental details or clicking on the tab labeled ‘Track a rental you’ve booked elsewhere’ from our homepage.

In short, we will continue to get you the exact same low discounted rates as before, it’s just that booking will happen on a different site, and you’ll track your rental with us so we can notify you of lower rates/better deals.
se Costco but this year I used Autoslash, very satisfied. It seems to have changed since then because I just tried for a reservation for next year and it only sends me to Priceline and Priceline wants credit card information and in the terms and conditions it says the rental is non refundable, non changeable, and non transferable. Also, to check on prices after you have booked you have to go back to autoslash.com/track. I will not use Autoslash for a non refundable reservation. This from Autoslash:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I usually use Costco but this year I used Autoslash, very satisfied. It seems to have changed since then because I just tried for a reservation for next year and it only sends me to Priceline and Priceline wants credit card information and in the terms and conditions it says the rental is non refundable, non changeable, and non transferable. Also, to check on prices after you have booked you have to go back to autoslash.com/track. I will not use Autoslash for a non refundable reservation. This from Autoslash:

Thanks for contacting us, and sorry for any confusion. Because of the fantastic deals that we find for our customers, the major rental companies have recently refused to allow us to book reservations directly with them. We are disappointed by their very customer unfriendly stance.

For vendors that we can no longer book direct, you’ll see a link in our offer emails to book at the discounted rate through an alternate site at our typical discounted rates (NOT Priceline’s standard rates). The majority of deals we offer through Priceline DO NOT require bidding or any sort of prepayment. You’ll generally pay at the rental counter. While we understand that this may not be as convenient for our customers as booking direct with AutoSlash, we nonetheless remain 100% committed to helping our customers book at the lowest rates available.

Reservations booked on a site other than AutoSlash can be tracked for price drops and better deals by going to autoslash.com/track and entering your rental details or clicking on the tab labeled ‘Track a rental you’ve booked elsewhere’ from our homepage.

In short, we will continue to get you the exact same low discounted rates as before, it’s just that booking will happen on a different site, and you’ll track your rental with us so we can notify you of lower rates/better deals.
se Costco but this year I used Autoslash, very satisfied. It seems to have changed since then because I just tried for a reservation for next year and it only sends me to Priceline and Priceline wants credit card information and in the terms and conditions it says the rental is non refundable, non changeable, and non transferable. Also, to check on prices after you have booked you have to go back to autoslash.com/track. I will not use Autoslash for a non refundable reservation. This from Autoslash:
Interesting that with Priceline you were required to provide credit card info and were told it was non refundable. The two I have with Priceline currently did not require that from me. I will not pay until I get the car. I do agree, I wouldn't book something that required pre-payment and was not refundable.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm heading for Maui September 1st for two weeks. I made car rental reservations through Costco in March. With seven of us going I need the large SUV (Surburban/Navigator). In March the best price was $1256 with Budget. As many have advised I kept checking prices and watched as the same rental slowly went up in the months since. A week ago it was close to $2,300 for the same rental. Then Friday night I checked again and Alamo comes in at $784. By the time I get home its down to $756. Today the price is $724!

As many have said - keep checking those prices. Thanks for the advice!
We reserved 15 passenger vans for 2 weeks next year at roughly $1200 for the 2 weeks inclusive. I just rebooked one of them for a savings of $40 as well as my compact for the third week when it'll be a smaller group but the savings there was a happy meal. The other week for the full sized van was slightly more expensive.

cafeirene

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks!!! I just rebooked (originally had booked in June) and went from $791 total to $516 (also reflecting a $25 off plus normal Costco 30% discount) for Budget, plus a $20 Costco cash card to follow. This deal was good for bookings made from 8/17 to 8/31 for travel/use into mid or late September. It was definitely worth rechecking and rebooking then cancelling the original took all of 6 minutes including double checking. That pays for a few extra nice meals on island.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Car for Kona on Sept 21st dropped another $40 today (including Costco rebate) and was with Avis over Thrifty which I prefer. I'm still hoping my Lih car will drop as well

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Anyone find any good car rental prices for Maui this month? I have been watching them for awhile and they keep going up, not down. Currently have a week via Costco for $186.85. Booked it in July and have not seen any price drops.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Anyone find any good car rental prices for Maui this month? I have been watching them for awhile and they keep going up, not down. Currently have a week via Costco for $186.85. Booked it in July and have not seen any price drops.
We are going to Hawaii in December, and prices have been climbing now for several months. We booked two mini vans for about $200 and $265 many months ago, the prices are over double that now. Those were of course booked by checking and rebooking as they got cheaper. Though once they started to go up, they continue to go up. Haven't seen a drop in months.

LAR

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm holding a 'Newer SUV' reservation with Kimo's Rental Car from Spring 2018 in Maui. 12 days for $359. I was very happy about that but am wondering if Kimo's is a reliable outfit. Am I good to go with them? Thanks!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I'm holding a 'Newer SUV' reservation with Kimo's Rental Car from Spring 2018 in Maui. 12 days for $359. I was very happy about that but am wondering if Kimo's is a reliable outfit. Am I good to go with them? Thanks!
Never heard of them, but that doesn't mean anything. Have you tried to look up reviews? We currently have a reservation on Maui in March for a midsize SUV for15 days at $539.31. I made it through AutoSlash, and it ended up booked for Hertz through Priceline. I haven't seen anything that low anywhere else that I've looked.

Since I was curious I pulled up some yelp reviews (take them for what they're worth) on Kimo's. Basic theme is the cars are older. But the reviews on the whole aren't very good. https://www.yelp.com/biz/kimos-rent-a-car-kahului-2

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I’d make sure your reservation includes all taxes and fees. With some of these people, you never know.

Also, their website says “Newer SUV” is up to a 2008 model year. That means the car could be ten years old or more. That’s a lot of hard miles on a Hawaii car.

Good luck!
Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I’d make sure your reservation includes all taxes and fees. With some of these people, you never know.

Also, their website says “Newer SUV” is up to a 2008 model year. That means the car could be ten years old or more. That’s a lot of hard miles on a Hawaii car.

Good luck!
Dave
I wonder if they buy their cars from the other rental car companies when they're done with them?