• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Carry on dive fins or rent?

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Aloha,

I don't really want to check a bag, but I like my dive fins and want to bring them. Has anyone ever carried on their dive fins to Maui on Hawaiian Airlines? I am in first class, if that makes a difference. I would have a small rolling bag and backpack. If this won't work, can someone recommend a place to rent dive fins for a week? Thank you.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can carry them on if they will fit in the maximum size carry-on bag or back pack, but if you have a 3rd carry-on for the fins, they may stop you at the gate. It's far easier to rent. Snorkel Bobs and Boss Frogs.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks, Denise

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
While I might rent fins (though they are never as good as mine) I always take my own snorkel and Mask (vision corrected). I always fit the Mask and snorkel in my carry on Back Pack along with a swim suit and at least 1 complete change of clothes.

beachlynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aloha,

I don't really want to check a bag, but I like my dive fins and want to bring them. Has anyone ever carried on their dive fins to Maui on Hawaiian Airlines? I am in first class, if that makes a difference. I would have a small rolling bag and backpack. If this won't work, can someone recommend a place to rent dive fins for a week? Thank you.
We pack our snorkel gear and travel bocci set in a carryon bag. If there is room we fill in with extra food and spices for the villa.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I always check bags, hate to deal with the rush to get overhead bin space. First class doesn’t pay to check bags anyway. I have a large rolling duffel bag with two compartments, the bottom zippered section works well for beach towels and snorkel gear. I use a small set of boogie boarding fins and webbed swim gloves, I don’t like the long dive fins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I bring my own fins for 3 reasons.

1. Generally my fins are much better than ones available.
2. More importantly, I wear a women's size 12 foot, but it is narrow for a 12. Which means I need to get a man sized fin, which means it is too wide. My foot slides forward and my toes hang out the gap in the front, and that is darn uncomfortable and gets blisters where it rubs.
3. I have very tender tootsies, I like having the booties when I go ashore.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Oh I forgot I also take Booties, Gloves, and a Beanie.

triangulum33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2005 WKORN
I have large freedive fins and they are the only reason I check a bag.
...well except for all the kids beach stuff, and DW's souvenirs and trinkets.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always bring my own mask, snorkel, and fins. First time we went to Hawaii we went on a snorkeling cruise. I got grossed out when I had the rented snorkel in my mouth. I couldn't stop thinking of my saliva mixing with that of previous renters. When we were done and turned the snorkel back in I saw the guys spray each snorkel once and put them in a common bucket of water. I told my husband I was never going to snorkel again.

When we returned home he took me to a dive shop and bought me my own snorkel, mask, and fins. I've been a happy camper ever since.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Aloha,

If the fins are under 22 inches long you can carry on. My fins are longer so I check bag them with my dive gear. If you are diving bring your own fins because rental fins are the bootie full foot snorkel type and do not deliver the best power to your kick. If you are snorkeling then just rent.

I brought my dive gear on our last trip to Kauai. It was all checked except my weights. The weights weighed 16 pounds and are designed to fit my bcd pockets.

Bill

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I ended up putting my dive fins in a bag and checking it, although the flight attendants told me that I could absolutely carry them on in first class (assuming there was overhead bin space, which there was plenty of) even if I already had two carryons. Having a bag to check was slightly annoying, but I do like my fins so it was worth it for my snorkeling adventures. I'm going to look into some shorter fins for future trips. Thanks for all of the advice!

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
We always check our bags, so we usually bring everything. Snorkel and snorkel vest are essential, though. Fins can be rented.