TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Change in MVC ownership tiers

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by logos5, Aug 21, 2019.

1. micromacguy

micromacguy Guest

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am looking at buying Destination Points and want to be sure that are are no restrictions attached vs. buying though Marriott Sales. Assuming I pay all Marriott fees, is the use of the Destination Points the same as if I purchased them through Marriott Sales.

You are absolutely correct, if you buy a resale titled week (i.e buying a 1BR OV at Marriott Ko Olina), you will not be able to trade the unit for Destination points or for Marriott points. If anyone buys a deeded week via resale, I agree that it needs to be somewhere you plan to use.

2. Fasttr

Fasttr TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Ocean
    MVC Trust Points
    Currently, they are treated the same. That said, according to the docs, they do have the ability to treat them somewhat differently. Anybody's guess if they ever will. This link to an older post lays it out for you to ponder..... (Note that at that time, the junk fees were $2/point, now they are $3/point, so wanted to make sure I clarified that).

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/marriott-resale-dc-point-benefits.270814/#post-2111734

3. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Desert Springs Villas II 2BR
    Playa Andaluza Silver Seafront 2BR
    Destinations Points
    They function the same, I have mostly resale points.

4. kds4

kds4 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Weeks and DC Points
    As a U.S. based owner, I don't recall anything in my contracts that says they cannot do what is being discussed (or guarantees me that they won't). Perhaps someone more familiar with the various owner documents can provide more insight about what is prohibited or guaranteed for Direct Members and Exchange Members of the Destination Club.

5. kds4

kds4 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Got it. I hadn't heard Chairman's Club (as an ownership level) was going away in any of my presentations with MVC, but I had been told a new ownership level above Chairman's (and/or an increase in the number of points required) is coming. Worst case scenario, I could see them changing the name of Chairman's Club but don't see how it could ever be done away with. People who own that many points have to be called 'something'.

6. kds4

kds4 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    The owner documents reference some restrictions that can be imposed on resale points (even if you paid all of the Marriott fees), but so far they have not appeared to invoke them. So, at present, resale points that have had all fees paid have been functioning no differently than points purchased directly from MVC. However, per the documents, there are some usage restrictions that can be imposed on resale points (if/when MVC chooses to).

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  7. kds4

kds4 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    I seem to recall that the primary fee for resale points was allocated as $500 per Beneficial Interest (250 points) purchased with a guaranteed minimum fee of $3,000 (which would equate to having to purchase at least 6 BIs - or 1,500 points). Does anyone know if MVC has allowed anyone to pay the $3,000 to enroll less than 1,500 points (or are they sticking to the 1,500 point minimum purchase - discussed somewhere in the owner documentation)?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  8. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    The fee is $750 per BI or $3 per point. You can purchase as few points as you want, the documentation indicates that you won't have full usage of those points through the exchange company unless you pay the fees. Unless you own a base interest (2 BIs for legacy week owners or 6 BIs for first time buyers), then you can only reserve 60 days out. However, I would expect if reserving pure trust points, you would have unfettered reservation rights. The problem is that Marriott usually drops most of the trust inventory in to the exchange company pretty far out.

9. kds4

kds4 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Does this mean that MVC has dropped the $3,000 minimum fee for 'enrollment' of any resale points?

10. Fasttr

Fasttr TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Ocean
    MVC Trust Points
    The minimum still exists as far as I know.

11. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Yea, minimum still there. I should have also included that in my post.

12. csalter2

csalter2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Ko Olina
    Marriott Aruba Surf Club
    Marriott Ocean Pointe
    Diamond Resorts Gold
    According to Marriott, a point is a point. So if you’re an enrolled owner that can elect points or a Destination points owner, they BOTH have equal access to all resorts. The nonsense that the sales people use to scare you into thinking that you won’t have access to future resorts because you don’t have expensive DC points is a fallacy and sales tactic. I have been down this road.

Pus, those people who have bought the points/weeks hybrid would have a pretty good leg to stand on in court if that was suddenly true. Nevertheless, enrolled points can do all that DC points do and will do so in the future.

13. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    True be fair, a point certainly isn't a point. At least not in a technical/legal sense. In a practical sense, they are all about the same. THough there have been some reported instances where legacy points couldn't get a reservation where trust points could. Though I agree, it is a sales tactic to try to sell more points.

14. csalter2

csalter2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Ko Olina
    Marriott Aruba Surf Club
    Marriott Ocean Pointe
    Diamond Resorts Gold
    Yes, I remember those rare instances and they were early in the program. Marriott did initially try to not make a point a point. However, they have abandoned that nonsense since and now a point is truly a point. The people who make the reservations do not even make any distinction between trust points and legacy points. If there was a situation where a reservation could not be made with enrolled points, I am sure that it’s a glitch and could just be cleared up by calling owner services and legacy points could just as easily be used.

15. kds4

kds4 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    I haven't seen anything in writing about restricting the ability to reserve MVC properties based on the type of points you own. However, there is language that would allow MVC to restrict resale points (even if all of their 'fees' have been paid) from accessing usage options other than reserving an MVC property (such as certain Explorer Collection options). However, I don't believe there are nearly as many people that care about that as would care about being able to actually book MVC inventory. I agree, that blocking resale points from being able to book MVC inventory is probably the last thing they would try and restrict (if they legitimately could).

16. StevenTing

StevenTing TUG Member

It is now Sept 1st. I don’t believe tier levels have changed. I suggest that OP contact sales person and ask them about their previous comment.

bazzap, vacationtime1 and Superchief like this.
  17. csalter2

csalter2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Ko Olina
    Marriott Aruba Surf Club
    Marriott Ocean Pointe
    Diamond Resorts Gold
    Steve, at least give it until Tuesday. Geesh! It’s a holiday weekend!

18. StevenTing

StevenTing TUG Member

Don’t need to provide them an extra day to come up with an excuse. I’m impatient like that. I need instant gratification. :whooopie:

csalter2 and dioxide45 like this.
  19. dougp26364

dougp26364 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

It’s Tuesday and still no changes to the benefit levels. Did that memo have a year along with the month on it?

Memos with a MVC header mean nothing. I thinking anyone I. The sales office can type one up. I’ve seen several memos and articles over the years but MVC had generally not stooped to the level. It’s to bad they appear to have sunk that low now.

20. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott:
    Maui Ocean Club
    Waiohai Beach Club
    Barony Beach Club
    Destination Club Trust
    HGVC:
    HGVC at Sea World
    I’m not saying I believe the rumor is true, but just because it is Sept 3 doesn’t necessarily mean anything. As I recall, when they changed to the current tiers it was quite a while (weeks, months?) before official communications to owners from corporate. At first the details of the tiers came from charts at owner updates. So, until someone attends a Sept update and reports back, we can’t be sure.

I may be wrong in my recollection, but that’s how I remember it.

21. dougp26364

dougp26364 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I’m sure it will change........ eventually. It just won’t be off of some memo a salesman shows a prospect trying to get them to buy additional points.

22. luv2trvl2

luv2trvl2 TUG Member

We just came from a presentation at Canyon Villas in Phoenix 9/7. Rep also said that levels are changing. He noted current levels for Select at 4000 and Executive at 7000 and Chairman at 10000 minimums. Said that levels are expected to increase by 1500 points when they fold in ILG Starwood and Hyatt resorts by year end. They told us rates were unconfirmed but expected to rise from 14.54 current point price to anticipated $18+ After we declined and accepted our $250 reward, the rep told us that the changeover date was uncertain and may not occur until 1st or 2nd Qtr of 2020 even though they are told year end for the level change. They did offer us a special preview only rate of $12.50/pt plus a special 35 anniversary year incentive of either 100k hotel points or 2000 MVC pts. Then they offered to double it to 200k or 4000 pts. O mention of Chairman level going away. That’s the offer we declined.

Curious what the cost of points is on the resale market. If we buy points there, does it roll into our current offering without any issues? We currently have 1 Enrolled week at DSV1 worth 2375 points and 2000 Trust points which has us at the Select level. So with 4375 points we would need 2625 points to get to the current Executive level. Trying to see if Executive level is worth it.

23. DEScottzz

DEScottzz TUG Member

We bought 1500 resale points to get to Presidential level. We paid $6.14 per point including all MVC junk fees. We thought it would be worth it to get 30% discounts 60 days out.

If we ever go to another sales presentation, my wife also wants to be able to tell the salesperson the we are already Presidential tier, and have absolutely no interest in achieving whatever the next level may be. Maybe it will make the sales presentations less painful.

Edit: BTW, we had a really unpleasant presentation at Canyon Villas. Very hard sell, and I wasn't feeling well. I had to get pretty gruff in order to escape.

24. bazzap

bazzap Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

“Chairman at 10000 minimum”? It is currently 15000+.

25. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Desert Springs Villas II 2BR
    Playa Andaluza Silver Seafront 2BR
    Destinations Points
    Generally, yes, as long as the resale points use year matches the use year of the points you have, you give them the correct names, and, correct account number.