• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chip and pin cards

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had a chip and sign credit card for years and never had any problem using it at a restaurant or merchant in Europe. Their hand held machine spin out a receipt that I sign. I also realize that there are some places in Europe where you would need a chip and pin card. (An unattended train station that allows you to buy tickets from a machine, for example - a PIN is required.) Now my question ...

I just got a new ATM card with a chip. Since ATM machines require a PIN, it, in essence, is a chip and pin card. So do debit cards (ATM cards) work in the unattended machines in Europe? Or do those machines require a credit card as opposed to a debit card?

sheweeble

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have ATM bank cards that are chip and pin and have used them with no problem at ATM machines in Europe. Just need to make sure your pin is 4 numbers. We are from Canada but the technology would be the same I think.

Tamino

Reaction score
I just got a new ATM card with a chip. Since ATM machines require a PIN, it, in essence, is a chip and pin card. So do debit cards (ATM cards) work in the unattended machines in Europe? Or do those machines require a credit card as opposed to a debit card?

I believe that using an ATM card for merchant purchases varies by policies of the card issuing bank. I accidentally used my US bank ATM card once at Leroy Merlin and it processed flawlessly. I have heard others complain that ATM or debit cards have not been accepted for merchant purchases.

I should think it wise to carry both an ATM/debit card as well as a credit card when traveling.

sheweeble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe that using an ATM card for merchant purchases varies by policies of the card issuing bank. I accidentally used my US bank ATM card once at Leroy Merlin and it processed flawlessly. I have heard others complain that ATM or debit cards have not been accepted for merchant purchases.

I should think it wise to carry both an ATM/debit card as well as a credit card when traveling.
Right I agree with that, I have never used my ATM/debit card at a place of business, but if it is a debit/visa card it works just like a visa card would, but the transaction would come out of your chequing account. We are often in more rural areas and a lot of restaurants and shops don't take any kind of card. We usually take the max out in cash every 4 or 5 days and pay cash for most things.

Last edited:

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
I use my credit union's atm card with a pin and stripe for bank cash withdrawals. We finally got a credit card with chip/pin last year, but have never been required nor prompted to enter our pin in NZ, AUS, Germany, Czechia, Netherlands, Belgium, Ireland, and the UK countries where we traveled in 2016. I was a bit deflated not to get to use my long-awaited pin#!

sheweeble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use my credit union's atm card with a pin and stripe for bank cash withdrawals. We finally got a credit card with chip/pin last year, but have never been required nor prompted to enter our pin in NZ, AUS, Germany, Czechia, Netherlands, Belgium, Ireland, and the UK countries where we traveled in 2016. I was a bit deflated not to get to use my long-awaited pin#!
Come to Canada, you can use your pin here!

Tamino

Reaction score
We finally got a credit card with chip/pin last year, but have never been required nor prompted to enter our pin in NZ, AUS, Germany, Czechia, Netherlands, Belgium, Ireland, and the UK countries where we traveled in 2016. I was a bit deflated not to get to use my long-awaited pin#!

Your credit card may have a PIN but it is a chip & signature card as are most credit cards issued by US banks. Regardless of the country in which you use it, you will always sign when making purchases at staffed sales locations. The only time you might use the PIN would be at unmanned or kiosk points of sale and then only when the transaction total is greater than your banks predetermined no verification limit.