TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Closest timeshare to San Diego wild animal park?

Discussion in 'US - Western States Timesharing' started by bdurstta, Mar 13, 2019.

1. bdurstta

bdurstta TUG Member

What is the closest timeshare to San Diego Wild Animal Park? or even to the San Diego zoo? Must have a great kids pool! LOL

Thanks of the input!

Barbara

2. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    I haven't been to any of the timeshares, but the closest would be the Welk resorts in Escondido. I seem to remember one of them having a nice pool area for kids but I have no idea which phase it is in. Are you looking to exchange into this and if so, what exchange company will you be using. I believe that Welk has moved their exchange inventory to RCI, although I believe that owners can still deposit their owned weeks to II.

3. rhonda

rhonda TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades, WinPointVIP
    San Diego Country Estates (Ramona, CA) would be a good choice for location. I have no idea about their pool/s. Diamond has been buying many of these units from the tax auctions. I don't recall which timeshare 'brands' originated this space. I think there may be multiple brands offering units here??

Definitely Welk for pools!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  4. buzglyd

buzglyd TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Lagoon Tower
    HGVC Carlsbad Seapointe
    Gaslamp Plaza Suites
    Carlsbad Inn
    SVV Bella
    The one thing I would warn about staying in Ramona is that the roads are very curvy and steep going up and down the mountain. For those of us that live here, it's no big deal. But, if you're a flatlander it might be intimidating.

Welk is the way to go.

5. clifffaith

clifffaith TUG Member

Arriving from the north, you drive right by the SDWAP on the way to the Diamond Resort in Ramona. We thought we'd visit the park, but are old fogies with sticker shock when it comes to any of California's attractions. Over $100 each at that park, so we passed since we'd been there 30 years ago!

6. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Welk at Escondido.

Icc5 likes this.
  7. BJRSanDiego

BJRSanDiego TUG Member

I'd suggest Welk Escondido over Ramona because it is very close to I-15: shopping, dining, drive to the beach, drive into SD, etc. Also, for going to the Wild Animal Park/Safari Park, check on-line for specials. There is a Go-San Diego card as well as a couple others. In fact, if you research it, you may find special cards at Costco.

Icc5 likes this.
  8. tompalm

tompalm TUG Member

We stayed at Marbrisa about six months ago and loved it. Big pools and great for kids. Also, right next to LEGO land. The drive to Wild Animal Park is about 30 minutes or about the same for Welks Resort. See reviews on Tug for more info. It is also close to Costco, an Outlet Mall, the ocean and overall has a lot more to do.

9. RX8

RX8 TUG Member

Grand Pacific Palisades has a great kids pool, a kids game room and daily activities.

10. Icc5

Icc5 TUG Member

We own and love our Welk Villa (the older section) very relaxing on the golf course. Easy drive to the Wildlife Park. Every so often on Groupon they show discounted tickets for both the Zoo and the Wildlife Park. We are older but feel as if the newer Welk units at Escondido remind us of a dorm or prison.
    The Villas feel huge and comfortable.
    Bart

11. jnsrusty

jnsrusty TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Marbrisa
    Welk might be a little closer, but I would recommend staying at MarBrisa or Grand Pacific Palisades. They are both about 25-30 minutes from the Wild Animal Park, but they are close to everything else. Welk's location is much more secluded and removed from dining, stores, beach, etc. Both MarBrisa and GPP have tons of free activities for the kids. While MarBrisa doesn't have a designated kid's pool, my kids love their Super Pool and all the activities around the pool (shuffleboard, pool, connect 4, and ping pong). GPP has a kid's pool and a great kid's water play area with water spouts and a small water slide. My kids loved it when they were 5 and under. Both resorts are right next to a huge, upscale outlet mall and are about 3 minutes (by car) from Carlsbad Beach. If your kids are interested, Legoland is adjacent to MarBrisa. In fact, MarBrisa has their own entrance to the park, which is very convenient. GPP is just on the other side of Legoland as well. My family and I have always enjoyed our stays at both resorts.