• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Closing company recommendation for Hawaii deed

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've decided to let my Wyndham Pahio Bali Hai go. But LT can't handle Hawaii due to that HI escrow holding law. So then who can do Hawaii deed transfers with escrow?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
How much money are we talking about? The requirement to use a Hawaii escrow company is unenforced and uninforceable. In short - Hawaii has zero way of knowing if, or how, or where you held escrow. There is no mechanism in place to monitor/enforce this law, and it was simply a bone that the legislature threw to Hawaiian escrow companies.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
How much money are we talking about? The requirement to use a Hawaii escrow company is unenforced and uninforceable. In short - Hawaii has zero way of knowing if, or how, or where you held escrow. There is no mechanism in place to monitor/enforce this law, and it was simply a bone that the legislature threw to Hawaiian escrow companies.

This was the case in early 2018 when we bought our Marriott's Maui Ocean Club week. The broker used a Florida escrow/closing company and everything went fine.

However, since then, I have heard of at least one reputable broker who has stated they have stopped using non-Hawaii closing companies because they started having problems recording the deeds. So perhaps the enforcement has become better. That was more-or-less confirmed when we bought our Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club week this past spring, when yet another broker said there were no longer able to use the mainland escrow company they had been using and were now being forced to use a Hawaii firm. They used Old Republic Title and Escrow of Hawaii. When I sold our old Diamond week at Kaanapali Beach Club back in 2014, the broker used Fidelity National Title and Escrow of Hawaii.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
That is peculiar, because recording a deed involves no info about escrow, and is usually done electronically using an automatic process.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
That is peculiar, because recording a deed involves no info about escrow, and is usually done electronically using an automatic process.
Thoughts on LT? Buying a one bedroom SVV and I suggested to the seller to use them since it’s generally a lower fee. I have never used them

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They are great: professional, helpful, and inexpensive - I have used them many times.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally I would use LT but they won't take Hawaii deeds that need escrow. They have been fabulous on what they have done for me.

Probably around $1000 if I am lucky.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
They are great: professional, helpful, and inexpensive - I have used them many times.
Awesome! Do they handle escrow and a purchase contract? I’ve always went through brokers in the past and just followed along with what they had me do.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To my knowledge, they do not handle escrow but I haven't looked into that lately - I'd contact them and ask. They will provide a purchase contract, and an estoppel letter.

L.T. Transfers
www.lttransfers.com
readylegal@gmail.com

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
To my knowledge, they do not handle escrow but I haven't looked into that lately - I'd contact them and ask. They will provide a purchase contract, and an estoppel letter.

L.T. Transfers
www.lttransfers.com
readylegal@gmail.com

Thank you! I “bought now” on eBay maybe I’ll pay that way and use PayPal/ or credit card for protection? Thanks I’ll call them tomorrow though!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Most ebay resellers will only accept credit cards if you pay the merchant fee, which is usually around 3% - but the peace of mind might be worth it. I'd definitely consider it if the seller will.

PayPal does not permit the buyng or selling of real estate (including timeshares) using PayPal. That could be problematic, if you have a problem with the seller and want PayPal to back you up.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Most ebay resellers will only accept credit cards if you pay the merchant fee, which is usually around 3% - but the peace of mind might be worth it. I'd definitely consider it if the seller will.

PayPal does not permit the buyng or selling of real estate (including timeshares) using PayPal. That could be problematic, if you have a problem with the seller and want PayPal to back you up.
Awesome. Didn’t know, thanks for the info. We agreed upon escrow with LT but if they don’t do that, I’ll pay through eBay and I’ll offer to pay the fee considering I’m saving money using LT.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
LT won't accept Paypal or credit card. You can't pay through Ebay because that will go directly to the seller and then there is no escrow. With a private sale, it is just like buying a home. You can't buy a home on credit card. Also with Paypal, real estate transactions have no official buyer protection.

You are using LT Transfers for the protection of them obtaining an estoppel and using their escrow company. You must pay by check. If you don't want to pay by check, I will happily do so :)

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
LT won't accept Paypal or credit card. You can't pay through Ebay because that will go directly to the seller and then there is no escrow. With a private sale, it is just like buying a home. You can't buy a home on credit card. Also with Paypal, real estate transactions have no official buyer protection.

You are using LT Transfers for the protection of them obtaining an estoppel and using their escrow company. You must pay by check. If you don't want to pay by check, I will happily do so :)
Check it is I guess.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Personally I would use LT but they won't take Hawaii deeds that need escrow. They have been fabulous on what they have done for me.

Probably around $1000 if I am lucky.

I used LT for the sale of Hawaii deed, the buyer sent a cashiers check to LT and they held it until transfer was complete, an informal escrow. It was $3k.

I wasn’t too concerned it was a TS salesman that purchased it, he said the price was better than his employee discount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I used LT for the sale of Hawaii deed, the buyer sent a cashiers check to LT and they held it until transfer was complete, an informal escrow. It was $3k.

I wasn’t too concerned it was a TS salesman that purchased it, he said the price was better than his employee discount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I don't think LT will do this anymore.

gratiem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Ka'anapali, Hyatt Highlands, Riviera Beach & Spa
For HI escrow, I can easily recommend Tiffany at Old Republic Title and Escrow of Hawaii. Of the 4 timeshare companies I have worked with, Tiffany is at the top. She is extremely responsive and proactively communicates status. She also had a very quick turn around on closing documents, which I very much appreciate.

Tiffany D.D. Data
Escrow Officer | Timeshare Services
T: T08.522.0356 | F: 808.522.0355
tdeguzman@oldrepublictitle.com
Old Republic Title and Escrow of Hawaii | Old Republic Insurance Group
900 Fort Street Mall, Suite 890 | Honolulu, HI 96813