• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Closing going poorly - advice request (Sean Singletary)

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased an RCI points timeshare from Sean Singletary (ebay ID Seans0302) in June of 2017. I was to receive 2018 usage and pay the 2018 fees, which both seemed quite doable given there was 6 months prior to them being due.

Fast forward 8-9 months, and the closing still hasn't happened. To get it to close, the resort requires that I pay the 2018 fees, as well as a variety of late payment type penalties. Given the 2018 week has already been automatically given to RCI (the fixed week is in August), I request the 2018 rci points. They provide a form to transfer the 2018 points to my account signed by the seller. At the end of March, Sean/the closer said they would cover the late fees.

My RCI points account finally gets set up with the week today, but no 2018 points transferred to my account. I have also not received the check for the late fees. Today I sent an email requesting reimbursement for both the late fees and 2018 MF, as I am not receiving the 2018 usage as promised.

Any thoughts or suggestions? What would you do?

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I composed the below in response but realise it all depends - Did you pay the late fees yourself.?

If you did not pay, my response follows:

I would ask the resort if they didn't approve the points because the late fees had not been paid. I would expect them to say Yes, but it maybe you paid them and the following doesn't apply.

I would attempt a two prong solution. Tell the resort they have a MF paying owner going forward and the late fees are the responsibility of the prior owner according to the agreement and they, the Resort, should release the points and forget the late fees.

Keep after Sean to honour what was agreed to.

From your post it seems to me that Sean has done a runner and your only option will be to deal with the resort and agree to some accommodation on the late fees.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I purchased an RCI points timeshare from Sean Singletary (ebay ID Seans0302) in June of 2017. I was to receive 2018 usage and pay the 2018 fees, which both seemed quite doable given there was 6 months prior to them being due.

Fast forward 8-9 months, and the closing still hasn't happened. To get it to close, the resort requires that I pay the 2018 fees, as well as a variety of late payment type penalties. Given the 2018 week has already been automatically given to RCI (the fixed week is in August), I request the 2018 rci points. They provide a form to transfer the 2018 points to my account signed by the seller. At the end of March, Sean/the closer said they would cover the late fees.

My RCI points account finally gets set up with the week today, but no 2018 points transferred to my account. I have also not received the check for the late fees. Today I sent an email requesting reimbursement for both the late fees and 2018 MF, as I am not receiving the 2018 usage as promised.

Did you send the email to Sean? If not send it to him. You said you sent it today, give him a day or two to respond. I would call him too.

I have purchased from him in the past. Whereas it took longer then I would have liked he always answered my emails and delivered what was promised.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I composed the below in response but realise it all depends - Did you pay the late fees yourself.?

If you did not pay, my response follows:

I would ask the resort if they didn't approve the points because the late fees had not been paid. I would expect them to say Yes, but it maybe you paid them and the following doesn't apply.

I would attempt a two prong solution. Tell the resort they have a MF paying owner going forward and the late fees are the responsibility of the prior owner according to the agreement and they, the Resort, should release the points and forget the late fees.

Keep after Sean to honour what was agreed to.

From your post it seems to me that Sean has done a runner and your only option will be to deal with the resort and agree to some accommodation on the late fees.

I paid the late fees in March. The resort acknowledges me as the owner of the week. I will keep after Sean to get the late fees/2018 MF repaid to me. He had said they would send a check for the late fees in March...

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you send the email to Sean? If not send it to him. You said you sent it today, give him a day or two to respond. I would call him too.

I have purchased from him in the past. Whereas it took longer then I would have liked he always answered my emails and delivered what was promised.

Good to hear, that gives me hope at least. I will keep the thread updated as well.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sean doesn’t write the checks and probably isn’t even located in the geographic region of the check writer. I would keep at it.

On usage I have never ever seen that guaranteed. There is always a disclaimer that the usage is available or unused but if it is no longer available after closing it is what it is.

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island

You must really love this purchase, that is a year old. If it where I, the buck would have stopped when late fees entered the picture. I would be prone to insist the whole deal be cancelled and I get ALL my money returned, someone knew up front late fees where due or at least when it was approaching a MF payment! Also, most of the contracts I have had stated that they had to close within a certain date (reasonable).

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sean doesn’t write the checks and probably isn’t even located in the geographic region of the check writer. I would keep at it.

On usage I have never ever seen that guaranteed. There is always a disclaimer that the usage is available or unused but if it is no longer available after closing it is what it is.

This wasn't free use included. This was my first year of paid usage, which was included in the contract specifically, and which I did pay the resort for already at the seller's request.

flybefree

TUG Member
Reaction score
Um, this is weird because Sean Singletary is the name of a former University of Virginia basketball standout who made it into the NBA but didn't make his mark there. I have to wonder if that's the real name of the seller, or if it's actually the basketball player. If it's the latter, you might have more recourse to go after him through an agent, etc.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update: I secured the 2018 points through the intervention of the onsite manager with the resort. She has been a huge help a number of times throughout the process, and makes me confident about the ownership.

I still haven't received the late fee reimbursement from Sean/closer that I was promised in March. I'm kind of annoyed, because this has had a bunch of other extra costs.

This is a driveable fixed week we'll use every year, so they delay in closing has meant we had to take RCI points instead of the fixed week. Plus, I had to get an RCI points account for 2018 (my plan was to withdraw from points) and apparently they have a three year commitment. Frustrating that the delay will cost me 3 years of RCI points fees.

On another note - is it possible to transfer or sell RCI points? Now I have a bunch I don't particularly want and I'd much rather get the fees I'm out back. I think it's a pretty good RCI points unit (penny a point or so) but that isn't why I wanted it.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Um, this is weird because Sean Singletary is the name of a former University of Virginia basketball standout who made it into the NBA but didn't make his mark there. I have to wonder if that's the real name of the seller, or if it's actually the basketball player. If it's the latter, you might have more recourse to go after him through an agent, etc.

You think there is only one guy named Sean Singletary? There are hundreds. It is the guys real name for a fact.

flybefree

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suppose there could be. It just caught my attention!

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suppose there could be. It just caught my attention!

Not could be but automatic. It’s a really common name. My real name is extremely unique. When I say extremely unique I mean it. Even though it is ridiculously unique I managed to meet someone with my same name when I was 10. I have been confused with that person over the course of my life many times. In addition I know of another with the same name through mutual friends. It’s a really rare name but I share it with a few. In contrast Sean Singletary shares his name with neighbors, a basketball player, and many others all over.

I do know Sean. Not on a personal level but I do know of him personally. He is not my favorite person to buy from but if it was something I wanted at the right price I would buy from him again. He works under an “operation” which is why he has no control over checks that are written.

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I've bought from a lot of pretty sketchy ebay sellers over time, and this has been my worst closing. It seems like maybe it'll get worked out in the end, but I would probably choose to avoid him in the future unless it was something pretty unique. This is a nice fixed week I wanted, but it's available for free or low cost elsewhere (without the RCI points). I took it from him because it was free with free closing. It seems to me the closing services were worth about what I paid for them, and I'd probably have been better off to pay the few hundred dollars to buy one elsewhere.

Somewhat ironically, I think the RCI points membership (that I don't even want) probably adds to the value. I checked the fees and it works out to 0.86 cents USD MF per RCI point, which I think is pretty good. I might end up selling this points week and buying a non-points week as a way to get out of the three year RCI points commitment. It's a tough call, as the unit is in a nice location within the resort as well, but if I sell this one I could probably get my hands on a 3 bedroom...

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quick update. I received a check for the late fees. I wouldn't say this was a big success, but I did eventually get what I paid for and they did make good the late fees. I'd probably buy from them again, but only if what I was buying was at a discount compared to what it was available for elsewhere. From initial ebay purchase to the final check for the late fees I paid was over a year.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Sean can be good, but he can also be sarcastic. I think he looks down on the people who buy from him. After all, he does make a lot of money before he even lists on ebay with his money-making scheme. Nearly all of the sellers on eBay are making money on both ends of the deal. It's pretty clear they think we are just stupid for buying timeshares.

And that includes my former favorite, Sumday Vacations, who treated me like an idiot when I asked why my purchase didn't include the current use as stated in the ad. I saw the contract said no implied use is guaranteed. That was basically what bugged me. I didn't get free use of two different weeks that were advertised that way and then required me to sign in the contract that I am not guaranteed anything.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
This is a great example that supports my rant today. It is so frustrating that this is happening to you. I am finding buying and owning a timeshare is a lot of work. I have had numerous problems with my purchases and have to keep on top of everything. Nothing goes smoothly especially during the purchase and when it is being first set up. It should not be this hard. My two hardest purchases have been through Marriott, both buying Trust Points resale as well as direct from Marriott (a hybrid package).

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
My experience with Sean has always been very pleasant. He delivered what I purchased. My experience has been his closing company is slower then others I have dealth with but I am ok with that as I know I can trust him.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Sean can be good, but he can also be sarcastic. I think he looks down on the people who buy from him. After all, he does make a lot of money before he even lists on ebay with his money-making scheme. Nearly all of the sellers on eBay are making money on both ends of the deal. It's pretty clear they think we are just stupid for buying timeshares.

And that includes my former favorite, Sumday Vacations, who treated me like an idiot when I asked why my purchase didn't include the current use as stated in the ad. I saw the contract said no implied use is guaranteed. That was basically what bugged me. I didn't get free use of two different weeks that were advertised that way and then required me to sign in the contract that I am not guaranteed anything.

Your comment supports my rant about the ethics and integrity of timeshare people. It is sad to hear that people in the industry look down on their customers. They should get out of business. We should stop buying from them.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quick update. I received a check for the late fees. I wouldn't say this was a big success, but I did eventually get what I paid for and they did make good the late fees. I'd probably buy from them again, but only if what I was buying was at a discount compared to what it was available for elsewhere. From initial ebay purchase to the final check for the late fees I paid was over a year.

This would be unacceptable to me. I would never buy again from someone who took a year to complete a sale no matter what the price was. Also, you are paying for this with your time. I would be so pissed off to have to track all of this and fix all these problems.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
This would be unacceptable to me. I would never buy again from someone who took a year to complete a sale no matter what the price was. Also, you are paying for this with your time. I would be so pissed off to have to track all of this and fix all these problems.

It looks like it won't be optional for me to take your advice.

I was checking out listings on ebay tonight on my phone (because obviously I need another timeshare...) and clicked on one of his without realizing it.

Ebay informs me that I'm on his blocked bidder list! Apparently I complained too consistently about the transfer that took over a year...

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Sean can be good, but he can also be sarcastic. I think he looks down on the people who buy from him.
Kinda like Groucho Marx who famously wouldn't want to join any club that would have him as a member.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Somewhere out there a timeshare salesman is reading this thread and has put this story in their back pocket ready to use on their next target.

The scary tale to the prospect of “why you shouldn’t buy resale” will probably be twisted further from the truth that we are reading here.

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
Let me brighten up this thread a bit. Years ago, I purchased a resale starwood restort in Orlando at key west section. I already owned a starwood timeshare, so when my timeshare closed, this additional timeshare was added to my account. Unfortunately there was only a partial payment on the maint, a balance of aprox $500. I was livid at first because Seller guaranteed everything was up to date. Then I realized if maint. payment was only partial, then they could not have used the star options for year. Sure enough, 81,000 star options was added to my account. I promptly paid off the rest of the maint.......because it was my account now and then promptly banked the star options. I contacted the seller and advised him I paid off the balance and they sent me a check to cover my payment. On Ebay, I always check what rating a seller has, close to 100 percent is who i use and I also check out the closing company to see their website and other member reviews of them. You have to know exactly what you want and what they are offering, I always discount free usage, its a nice perk, but i am more interested in the long run usage and fit. I love happy endings lol

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Ebay informs me that I'm on his blocked bidder list! Apparently I complained too consistently about the transfer that took over a year...

I always find it funny when a person you’re doing business with screws up, then fixing their screw up costs them money and instead of being frustrated with themselves for screwing up, they get frustrated you you because you’ve “cost them money”.

We have a sailboat. We had an old sail that was damaged and had already been repaired enough times, so we decided to buy a new one. But my husband talked to the owner of the sail loft and made it clear that he wanted the old damaged sail back. The guy forgot and misplaced the old sail. Husband kept at him, asking for it back. The guy kept putting him off, saying he’d get it to us, never delivering on the promise. Still, my husband kept asking for it and the guy told him the next time someone brought in an old sail that needed to be replaced, he’d give it to us.

Eventually about a year into the transaction, the guy comes up with an old sail. Wow we scored on that one, it’s in great shape, actually usable so much better than the old damaged one. Worth probably $900 and the sail loft owner was so irritated to give it up, he really wanted to sell it. Anyway he sees this whole thing as us being pains in the asses, rather than he screwed up and threw away something that didn’t belong to him and then had to pay the price to make that right.

He’s a good guy, we’d do business with him again. Lol but I’m not sure he’ll do business with us!